What's your preferred method of dealing with slugs?

• 43 Replies

m1ckz

Re: What's your preferred method of dealing with slugs?
« Reply #15 on: April 17, 2012, 07:18 »
beer trap   yes i use that and i catch a lot , i have 4 around the cabbage, but gets expensive with the beer lol ,glad i dont drink,,,,but yes it does work ok

yorkiegal

• Experienced Member
« Reply #16 on: April 17, 2012, 09:39 »
Bought an 8 pack of beer yesterday and will try that on the plot. I don't drink at all myself. I've also been collecting egg shells to break up and put round the plants. Where possible I'm trying to be organic on the plot.

Mafro

• The Bushcraft Magazine
« Reply #17 on: April 17, 2012, 09:46 »
I used to go out into the garden at night with a head torch on, a flower pot in one hand and a kebab skewer in the other.  I would skewer the slugs, and then run them off into the plant pot.  I was getting about 30 a night to begin with, and over about 10 days this number started to drop and drop, and the smell from my big got worse and worse.  Oh it was awful  :wacko:
Bushcraft & Mushroom Mad

stentman

• Experienced Member
« Reply #18 on: April 17, 2012, 10:18 »
I'd like a dedicated sniper team with night vision googles on site 24/7 plus machine gun pits and the odd mortar crew on standby. I would happily upgrade to using a small scale tactical nuke on the blighters but for now in the interests of world peace I stick to the standard blue pellets.
Stents keeping things open 24/7

If one way be better than another, that you can be sure is natures way. Aristotle 384BC - 322BC

angelavdavis

• Winner - Prettiest Pumpkin 2012
  • An allotment glutton!
    • The Allotment Glutton
« Reply #19 on: April 17, 2012, 11:12 »
We either collect them up in a container, bring them home and feed to the chooks or use blue (very non-PC) slug pellets.  I don't overuse these - they are so old that the brand has rebranded twice since I bought them!
Read about my allotment exploits at Ecodolly at plots 37 & 39.  Questions, queries and comments are appreciated at Comment on Ecodolly's exploits on plots 37 & 39

mumofstig

• Global Moderator
« Reply #20 on: April 17, 2012, 11:14 »
I'd like a dedicated sniper team with night vision googles on site 24/7 plus machine gun pits and the odd mortar crew on standby. I would happily upgrade to using a small scale tactical nuke on the blighters but for now in the interests of world peace I stick to the standard blue pellets.

exactly my thoughts  ::)  :lol:

kentishgal

« Reply #21 on: April 17, 2012, 11:38 »
Ive tried egg shells, coffee grounds, blue pellets, etc but the litle slimers seem impervious. Ive got some nematodes in the fridge which Im going to water in at the end of the month.....
hopefully that will destroy them... MWA HAA HAA!!! :lol:

bappelbe

« Reply #22 on: April 17, 2012, 12:48 »
I put out beer traps a week before I planted in my garden
I got 500 in the first week!!!!

Since then only one or two a night in my veg patch.
At the edges, where they are migrating to my veg patch I still get a number, but no major damage to my plants.
(I do use pellets as well)

Bill

angelavdavis

• Winner - Prettiest Pumpkin 2012
  • An allotment glutton!
    • The Allotment Glutton
« Reply #23 on: April 17, 2012, 13:42 »
I put out beer traps a week before I planted in my garden
I got 500 in the first week!!!!

Since then only one or two a night in my veg patch.
At the edges, where they are migrating to my veg patch I still get a number, but no major damage to my plants.
(I do use pellets as well)

Bill

Wow, that's good going Bill.  My slugs are obviously teetotal - I have never had any luck with these.  What brand of beer/lager did you use in the traps?  Perhaps I am using the wrong brew(?!)

bappelbe

« Reply #24 on: April 17, 2012, 13:55 »
I use the cheapest larger in the supermarket! I don't know the brand I currently have.

I find that they have to be covered to work, something like a tile propped up against a stone over the trap (which is a yoghurt carton) works. They prefer to hang out under stones and the like.
Also they do not seem to work in my poly tunnel - probably because it is too dry.

devonbarmygardener

• I live, therefore I garden!
« Reply #25 on: April 17, 2012, 15:32 »
Blue pellets I'm afraid....I try to be as organic as possible bu when it comes to slugs anything goes... :mad:.......gotta say I tried the growing success pellets last spring/summer and gave up,they just didnt work. One application of the nasty ones and it was carnage the next morning....

I'm a pellet fan as well - it's my food and I will fight for it!
I will also go around the garden with a pair of chopsticks and a bucket with salt in the bottom!

I hate caterpillars more though >:(

Emma

JayG

• Global Moderator
« Reply #26 on: April 17, 2012, 16:09 »
Blue pellets I'm afraid....I try to be as organic as possible bu when it comes to slugs anything goes... :mad:.......gotta say I tried the growing success pellets last spring/summer and gave up,they just didnt work. One application of the nasty ones and it was carnage the next morning....

It can be difficult to tell how effective they are because rather than poisoning them more or less on the spot as the metaldehyde version does, the "organic" ferric phosphate pellets result in them crawling away to die, hence the lack of "evidence."

(Almost feel sorry for them, but they are free to roam over more than half my garden and they ain't having my veg!)
Sow your seeds, plant your plants. What's the difference? A couple of weeks or more when answering possible queries!

One of the best things about being an orang-utan is the fact that you don't lose your good looks as you get older

brother

« Reply #27 on: April 17, 2012, 16:10 »
I like to feel the crunch and squelch beneath my foot unless im not wearing shoes

Mum2mj

« Reply #28 on: April 17, 2012, 16:59 »
The little ones I feed to the chickens, the BIG ones I chuck in a pot of water with a squirt of washing up liquid, seems to kill them instantly whereas salt water doesn't (prob a lack of salt or something!) and then just chuck in the compost bin because I can't stand the smell of decaying slugs - yuk  :unsure:

catweazle

• Experienced Member
« Reply #29 on: April 17, 2012, 22:05 »
on the point of the cost of beer.

just take an empty 5 liter water bottle to your local and ask them to pour the drip trays into it.

some swear by using this as plant food too

xx
Preferred onion sets

Started by Azazello on Grow Your Own

22 Replies
Last post February 26, 2013, 14:29
by ryetek
xx
How are you dealing with Greenfly?

Started by Mitsy on Grow Your Own

18 Replies
Last post June 17, 2009, 17:16
by strangerachael
xx
Dealing with ants

Started by Dai on Grow Your Own

20 Replies
Last post May 02, 2013, 12:48
by Dr_Pepper
xx
Dealing with bad allotment holders.

Started by corynsboy on Grow Your Own

55 Replies
Last post March 11, 2009, 17:44
by Caddi fuller-teabags

Page created in 0.701 seconds with 38 queries.