Help with jasmin

• 6 Replies

Dopey113

Help with jasmin
« on: March 18, 2012, 16:41 »
Hi all, need some advice please, my jasmin that's crawling up the drainpipe at the front of the house seems to be slightly dying  >:( the bottom of it is brown (most of it any way) the rest of (its about 10ft hight) has brown edged leaves all the way round the leaf, i had to cut it back last year because it looked like it was almost dead (all brown) like someone sprayed weed killer on it, im lucky i think it came back this year, so can i save it??? please dont ask me the name of it, i just dont know, my son got it for mothers day in a basket, and i just planted it up for her about 8 years ago, it was massive until i had to cut it down last year

Ta mucho
If Its Not Growing... Its Dead.

mumofstig

• Global Moderator
Re: Help with jasmin
« Reply #1 on: March 18, 2012, 17:35 »
Some of the varieties are less hardy than others and the florist flower ones are not ideal for the garden.

It should come back ok, though, mine loses all its leaves every year ;)

Dopey113

« Reply #2 on: March 18, 2012, 19:21 »
Ok thanks for that, shame its been good all the years its been there, i gave it a drink of seaweed fertiliser to perk it up, nothing to lose!!

viettaclark

« Reply #3 on: March 18, 2012, 23:22 »
That's a relief! I planted a jasmine last year and it grew well into the late Autumn then suffered during the cold spells.
It looked like it had died.....all the leaves floppy and brown and the climbing stems brown but the lower stems are still a bit green.
Will it grow up from the root or bud from existing green wood?
I've just left it to do it's own thing.

mumofstig

• Global Moderator
« Reply #4 on: March 19, 2012, 08:40 »
Will it grow up from the root or bud from existing green wood?

Depends how hardy it is/how cold your garden got.
I always leave it alone untill it's clear what's dead and what's not....mine came through the cold winter before last with very little damage  :)

JayG

• Global Moderator
Re: Help with jasmine
« Reply #5 on: March 19, 2012, 19:09 »
I always try to hedge my bets if possible (especially when I don't know what I'm doing!) and tried to root a few cuttings of my neighbour's winter jasmine last autumn, 2 in the garden soil and 1 in the warmth of the kitchen.

All 3 seemed to root OK and kept their leaves throughout the worst of the winter - the "kitchen cutting" was moved to the greenhouse in Feb.

Having survived the worst of the weather they then lost all their leaves, although the ones in the garden now seem to have healthy new shoots.

What does all this mean? Sorry, I haven't a clue, but the variety must have a lot to do with it.
Sow your seeds, plant your plants. What's the difference? A couple of weeks or more when answering possible queries!

One of the best things about being an orang-utan is the fact that you don't lose your good looks as you get older

mumofstig

• Global Moderator
« Reply #6 on: March 19, 2012, 19:14 »
evergreen winter jasmine with the yellow flowers is a completely different thing to the tender twining scented white flowered jasmine.
Winter jasmin is fully hardy summer jasmine isn't always ;)

xx
Jasmin

Started by jonewer on General Gardening

7 Replies
Last post December 03, 2012, 23:42
by pepsi100
xx
Jasmin

Started by pepsi100 on General Gardening

6 Replies
Last post January 03, 2016, 10:41
by pepsi100
xx
Scentless Jasmin

Started by Lardman on General Gardening

7 Replies
Last post June 16, 2014, 21:02
by Lardman
xx
Jasmin plant

Started by pepsi100 on General Gardening

2 Replies
Last post November 28, 2010, 13:54
by pepsi100

Page created in 0.164 seconds with 38 queries.