Scentless Jasmin

• 7 Replies

Lardman

Scentless Jasmin
« on: June 16, 2014, 11:27 »
About 5 years ago I put 2 standard pink jasmin plants in, they havve grown well and a do a good job of covering the 8ft wall, but my plan for having a heavy scented patio seems to have been scuppered as they don't smell at all  :ohmy:

So, is my nose broken, jasmin doesn't smell or do I have duff plants. I don't care much for pretty plants, I don't have the time "to stop and stare" but I do like things that I can smell when I pass by and if these aren't going to I'd rather rip them out and replace with something better.

JayG

• Global Moderator
Re: Scentless Jasmin
« Reply #1 on: June 16, 2014, 11:46 »
I had a pink one with no fragrance - I suspect it's the white ones which do (that's probably a great over-simplification but it'll have to do until someone comes along who is a bit more of an expert!)
Sow your seeds, plant your plants. What's the difference? A couple of weeks or more when answering possible queries!

One of the best things about being an orang-utan is the fact that you don't lose your good looks as you get older

BabbyAnn

« Reply #2 on: June 16, 2014, 16:09 »
I have a white scented jasmine, but to be honest it doesn't perfume the air very well except during quiet balmy (no wind, high humidity and very warm temperature) days.  Last year I was intrigued by a lovely smell in the garden and after hunting around, realised that the it was the jasmine that I had planted in the garden over 10 YEARS AGO!  Up until then, I just assumed the scent is what you got when sniffing the flower close up LOL

mumofstig

• Global Moderator
« Reply #3 on: June 16, 2014, 16:30 »
The sense of smell is strange, when I first walk past my jasmine on a hot evening - it has a very heavy smell, when I walk past it on the way back - I can't smell it any more  :wacko:

Whereas the Nicotiana smells like manure for the first sniff and then smells gorgeous  :lol:

Lardman

« Reply #4 on: June 16, 2014, 19:13 »
So basically, jasmine doesn't smell, my plants are duff and my nose is broken  :lol:  :nowink:

I'll have to get something stink out there, but probably not in pots - it pongs a bit.

jaydig

« Reply #5 on: June 16, 2014, 20:14 »
They do say that you can only smell violets once - if you try to smell them again shortly after the first time there's no apparent fragrance.

BabbyAnn

« Reply #6 on: June 16, 2014, 20:40 »
it sounds like sensory overload if you can't smell something a second time

but I do like things that I can smell when I pass by

they are annuals that flower briefly, but I just love Night scented stock - I usually grow some in hanging baskets by the back door and on a warm evening, the scent wafts into the house and is lovely.  As a flower they are not that exciting but you can mix them with other annuals for a more colourful display during the day

Lardman

« Reply #7 on: June 16, 2014, 21:02 »
they are annuals that flower briefly, but I just love Night scented stock - I usually grow some in hanging baskets by the back door and on a warm evening, the scent wafts into the house and is lovely.

Funny you should say that as I order some seed this morning.  :) I've been meaning to do it for 3 years and kept forgetting. It's cutting it tight be gurggle tells me there's still time to sow for this year  :ohmy:

xx
Help with jasmin

Started by Dopey113 on General Gardening

6 Replies
Last post March 19, 2012, 19:14
by mumofstig
xx
Jasmin

Started by jonewer on General Gardening

7 Replies
Last post December 03, 2012, 23:42
by pepsi100
xx
Jasmin

Started by pepsi100 on General Gardening

6 Replies
Last post January 03, 2016, 10:41
by pepsi100
xx
Jasmin plant

Started by pepsi100 on General Gardening

2 Replies
Last post November 28, 2010, 13:54
by pepsi100

Page created in 0.166 seconds with 38 queries.