One potato chit or two or three?

• 2 Replies

Ivor Backache

One potato chit or two or three?
« on: March 08, 2012, 17:34 »
I have got 24 early 'rocket' tubers chitting very nicely. On examination I find:
12 have 1 sprout, 10 have 2 and two have 3. (they are all about 3/4" and all the other eyes are dormant. Also the potatoes are all the same size)
So I asked myself why this varience, and couldn'd find an answer.  Did find that the fewer the chits the larger the potato, and it is better to cut out the dormant buds rather than rub them. I shall be growing my earlies in pots.

So is there a difference in the number of chits allowed on early, 2nd early and maincrop?

JayG

• Global Moderator
Re: One potato chit or two or three?
« Reply #1 on: March 08, 2012, 18:21 »
I don't think you will ever get only one answer to these questions!

Firstly, although most potato buds are at the "rose" end (the opposite end to the scar/"belly button end) they don't seem to chit at the same speed - I've always found that the longer they are left the more of the buds sprout (ultimately you finish up with nearly as much chit as spud, although this takes months rather than weeks.)

The theory about removing all but 3-4 chits is that fewer chits will produce fewer but larger potatoes, which I suppose at least sounds logical.

Against that is the fact that most people are probably aiming for lots of fairly small new potatoes, and also that commercial growers just plant all types "as is."

You are right about having to cut out dormant buds or chits if you want to permanently stop them chitting or re-chitting, although you then run the risk of allowing infection into the seed, especially if the wounds haven't healed properly before planting.

I only have room for first earlies these days, so I plant them with however many chits they have seen fit to produce - others no doubt have other views, but there is nothing to stop you doing a little experiment, particularly with your maincrop.
Sow your seeds, plant your plants. What's the difference? A couple of weeks or more when answering possible queries!

One of the best things about being an orang-utan is the fact that you don't lose your good looks as you get older

mattwragg94

Re: One potato chit or two or three?
« Reply #2 on: March 08, 2012, 19:11 »
i was always told to onlt leave 2 or 3 chits per spud, but from what ive recently learnt on this forum it doesnt seem to make a difference, just put them in deep and earth them up (and obviously water and feed)

xx
I've just got my seed potato.Store or chit ? (pics as well)

Started by garddwr on Grow Your Own

6 Replies
Last post January 13, 2009, 17:25
by garddwr
xx
Fartichokes - to chit or not to chit?

Started by ytyynycefn on Grow Your Own

7 Replies
Last post February 17, 2007, 18:10
by GrannieAnnie
xx
To chit or not to chit, that is the question!!

Started by Coltar223 on Grow Your Own

6 Replies
Last post March 14, 2009, 21:38
by Ice
xx
To chit or not to chit.

Started by sharky on Grow Your Own

8 Replies
Last post March 06, 2008, 22:52
by Jo-n-Neil

Page created in 0.449 seconds with 29 queries.