Expensive seeds - Are they worth it?

• 25 Replies

LilacSandy

Expensive seeds - Are they worth it?
« on: February 11, 2012, 12:05 »
Just opened a packet of Cauliflower 'Clapton' F! Hybrid, and it has just 11 seeds in it. 
Now I would never pay £2.99 for a packet of seeds even if they are colored blue! But I still feel ripped off even though I only paid 50p for them in the Garden Centre clear out as I still paid 5p per seed, but does any one think the full price of 27p for a seed is worth it?  :blink: :unsure:

mumofstig

• Global Moderator
Re: Expensive seeds - Are they worth it?
« Reply #1 on: February 11, 2012, 12:07 »
Yes, they are worth it - if you have clubroot, they're a godsend  :)

LilacSandy

« Reply #2 on: February 11, 2012, 12:13 »
Thank heaven I do not then,  if it is that bad I will make sure that I do not accept any plants from anyone, as I would still have to grow some as I do not want the chemicles from supermarket foods if I can grow it myself.  :(

Plot 6B

• NRAA Website
« Reply #3 on: February 11, 2012, 12:16 »
Yes, they are worth it - if you have clubroot, they're a godsend  :)

I totally agree as one of my plots suffers from it!
The fruits of success come from hard work!
A.K.A. Nige2plots

DD.

• Global Moderator
  • Location: Loughborough. a/k/a Digger Dave. Prettiest Pumpkin prizewinner 2011
  • Pea God & Founder Member of The NFGG
« Reply #4 on: February 11, 2012, 12:51 »
I can only grow Clapton and do agree they are a godsend.

100 a time from Moles works out about 11p a seed, still a lot cheaper than a cauli from T****.
Did it really tell you to do THAT on the packet?

LilacSandy

« Reply #5 on: February 11, 2012, 17:34 »
The next time I find any at the G Centre I will grab some and put in the seed parcel if  it is still going, or as long as I do not get it myself.

allot2learn

« Reply #6 on: February 11, 2012, 20:21 »
DT Brown sell F1 Clapton at 30 seeds for £2.79 and free postage.................

http://www.dtbrownseeds.co.uk/seeds-plants-gardening/14965/cauliflower-clapton-f1-seeds

radiohead

• Experienced Member
« Reply #7 on: February 11, 2012, 22:05 »
Personally I dont think the majority of seeds are expensive at all.......most packets have hundreds of seeds, which if used and stored with care can last 2-3-or even more seasons. Granted F1's are more costly,but they are harder to produce...and you dont have to buy F1's.
Last spring I chatted to a newbie on a nearby plot who was bleating about the cost of seeds...and while I watched he proceeded to sprinkle the entire contents of a pack of lettuce into a drill....thats 1000+ seeds.... :ohmy:.......they would have done me 2 or 3 sowings a summer for 3 or 4 seasons!!.....

allotment south wales

• welcome
    • allotment grower
« Reply #8 on: February 12, 2012, 09:11 »
Some seed merchants are preimium suppliers and the pricing on seed packets are based on the quality of them..

new developments including coating the seeds with additives to ensure the seed germination and resistance to damping off etc.. for example growsure range..

dont go for the cheapest.. go for the range of seeds that are in a reasonable price range you can afford quality seeds have a high germination rate and resistant to diseases....

keep it organic and you will see the difference including taste......

shokkyy

• Mishka
« Reply #9 on: February 12, 2012, 09:22 »
Maybe, but it's very hard to see why it's worth paying £3.29 for 40 White Lady runner bean seeds from T&M when I can buy 48 for 90p from Alan Romans, also a reputable seed supplier. That's not seed quality, that's profit margin and high overheads.

mumofstig

• Global Moderator
« Reply #10 on: February 12, 2012, 09:25 »
I agree, I think that is a problem especially with T&M, who always seem the most expensive of all :(

GrannieAnnie

• Grandmother of the Forums
« Reply #11 on: February 12, 2012, 09:46 »
The next time I find any at the G Centre I will grab some and put in the seed parcel if  it is still going, or as long as I do not get it myself.

If you can get some more Sandy, hang on to them.  Cauli seeds should last for about 5 years if stored well!

JayG

• Global Moderator
« Reply #12 on: February 12, 2012, 09:52 »
At about £3.50 for 5 The Passandra F1 all-female cucumber seeds were easily the most expensive I have ever bought.  :ohmy:

Sowed two, germinated two, both plants died before producing anything.  :(

Seed's fault? My fault? Dunno - not value for money so far but at least there are 3 still left!
Sow your seeds, plant your plants. What's the difference? A couple of weeks or more when answering possible queries!

One of the best things about being an orang-utan is the fact that you don't lose your good looks as you get older

Nobbie

« Reply #13 on: February 12, 2012, 10:34 »
Some seed merchants are preimium suppliers and the pricing on seed packets are based on the quality of them..

new developments including coating the seeds with additives to ensure the seed germination and resistance to damping off etc.. for example growsure range..

dont go for the cheapest.. go for the range of seeds that are in a reasonable price range you can afford quality seeds have a high germination rate and resistant to diseases....

It would be nice to think this, but most of the time it is just big brands paying for their marketing budgets. The cheapest seed is generally as good as any other when comparing like with like variety.

shokkyy

• Mishka
« Reply #14 on: February 12, 2012, 13:39 »
Exactly. And last year I bought most of my seeds from Premier Seeds on ebay at bargain prices, and all of them did very well indeed.

xx
Old seeds - is it worth a punt?

Started by gingerplant on Grow Your Own

11 Replies
Last post January 14, 2012, 17:40
by shokkyy
xx
Onion seeds are they worth saving?

Started by jambop on Grow Your Own

4 Replies
Last post June 14, 2024, 07:47
by jambop
xx
The worlds most expensive leek?

Started by Ian_P on Grow Your Own

17 Replies
Last post February 12, 2009, 20:20
by Ian_P
xx
expensive F1 tomato seed tip

Started by pushrod on Grow Your Own

6 Replies
Last post January 24, 2009, 06:41
by DD.

Page created in 0.879 seconds with 39 queries.