Mites + Poorly Chicken (advice on warmth + prevention)

• 24 Replies

Aunt Sally

• Administrator
  • Everyone's Aunty
« Reply #15 on: October 17, 2007, 21:57 »
I'm going to try to sum up what's been said here to make things clear.

First of all scan through my sticky on external parasites:

http://www.chat.allotment-garden.org/viewtopic.php?t=5250

Combating Lice and mites can be difficult as they can hide in nooks and crannies so good hygiene is essential.  Not a big problem for me as I have an eglu but in a wooden house it can be difficult.  

For red mite:
Empty the house completely and sweep out, pressure wash or hose and scrub with jayes fluid or Poultry Shield paying particular attention to nooks and crannies.

http://www.barrier-biotech.com/product.php?pid=1000

Munty would recommend putting vaseline into the nooks and crannies but I would recommend a liberal dusting of Diatom in all these areas.  It can even be put into them a bit like poly filler.  Diatom is a non-crystalline silica which abrades the bugs and damages their outer coating causing them to dehydrate.  Some people prefer to use red mite powder. I would treat the birds too with a liberal dusting of diatom or red mite powder to mop up any stragglers.

For Northern Mite and Lice
The housing must be treated as above but you must pay particular attention to the birds too.  Ivermectin Eprinex can be used as a spot on for the birds, or liberally dust them with Barrier red mite powder, and I would recommend lacing their dust bath with diatom too.  

I think the pecking problem will sort itself out when you have eradicated the infestation and they have settled in together.  Separate any chook which has any blooming injury and treat with purple spray.  But keep them so that they can all see each other.

Good luck  :D

pookey

• Experienced Member
« Reply #16 on: October 17, 2007, 22:15 »
Thanks Aunty, I appreciate you taking the time to help.  Frankie is such a lovely girl, shes so placid and just wants to fit in and is so trusting, it's heartbreaking to watch her deteriorate, Gracie Jessie and Sammie are all so much bigger than her....poor thing
Avoid fruit and nuts.  You are what you eat.

Aunt Sally

• Administrator
  • Everyone's Aunty
« Reply #17 on: October 17, 2007, 22:26 »
Hope that helps pookey  :D

muntjac

« Reply #18 on: October 17, 2007, 22:32 »
nice one sally i use vasaline for the underside of all edges to trap the * only .if thye cant climb over a lip thye cant hide hehehe :wink:
still alive /............

pookey

• Experienced Member
« Reply #19 on: October 17, 2007, 22:58 »
Thanks everyone, I am feeling much more positive about things now.  I will phone some agricultural suppliers tomorrow to get some supplies and I will update you all on my progress.

pookey

• Experienced Member
« Reply #20 on: October 19, 2007, 00:18 »
Hi all, I have looked at the chickens today and none of the others seem to have flea things???  Frankie still has loads - they are on her the whole time inside or outside the coup.  She is still in isolation inside the coup in a make shift cage while the other birds are in and out free range.

I checked the vents of the other birds and they all seem fine and clear with no scabs atall.  Frankies vent is raw and scabby and a big baldy patch underneath with feather stumps scattered over it.

i have not had much look sourcing any poultry products, I drove 15 miles to agrihealth today and all they had was a Ficam W insecticide to clean the house with but from reading the pack it sounds lethal!  I have one more place to try tomorrow morning that has a red mite powder but they said it doesnt sound like mites if they are on the bird all the time.

Frankie seems to be eating alot, and still has her head down alot, sometimes touching the floor, she doesnt have much drive and pretty much just stays with the food.

muntjac

« Reply #21 on: October 19, 2007, 10:19 »
thats because she is being driven nuts .,. worst come to the worst and you cant get hold of treatments today wash her with tea tree oil shampoo in warm water ,dry her well and let her dry off in a box in the house,,, but treat the coop she is in as well  , old fella told me you can use flykiller as well to snuff em in the cracks n crannies  :wink: dont put the birds back till the airs cleared tho :)

Aunt Sally

• Administrator
  • Everyone's Aunty
« Reply #22 on: October 19, 2007, 14:37 »

pookey

• Experienced Member
« Reply #23 on: October 19, 2007, 20:30 »
Todays Update;

This morning Frankie looked much better and I didnt see any flea things but it wasnt a thorough check.  I kept the bully one in the coup and let frankie run about outside with the others, the others dont peck him atall, he had a great morning and his head was high up and he was having a little cluck too.  This afternoon I let bully out and followed her round with a large bushy branch, whenever she ran for frankie I challenged her with the bush and she eventually gave up.  The other 3 stick close together and frankie was just lagging close behind.  Whenever bully went near, frankie ran back and she went back to what she was doing.  I put them all back in the coup at 6.20 and will have to see what happens tonight (no-one is in isolation)  Frankie was preening alot today so I think she still has some fleas.  I went to the other agricultural suppliers and got some 'red mite powder' and jeyes, the powder can be used on birds and the coup.  So tomorrow my Mum is watching the kids as shes over from England, and I am getting medievil with the coup!

Thanks for all your advice and thanks for the summary Aunty.  You all made this situation so much easier to handle and I feel like a weight has been lifted.  I know frankies not out of the woods yet but he's a fighter!

pookey

• Experienced Member
« Reply #24 on: October 21, 2007, 19:25 »
i forgot to say, the other bully chicken is not bothering frankie too much now - she wont let her in the gang, but the fierce attacks have stopped and its just the odd peck. Is there anything I can do to get frankie back in the gang. Is it asking for trouble to get another bird for frankie or would it be more likely that the new bird would just join the trio and frankie would still be alone.

It is just so sad to see the 3 huddled up at one end of the perch and poor frankie on her own at the other. The house is certernally big enough to accomodate a good few more!

ps Frankie goes NUTS for banana. Is there any food I should avoid giving them apart from meat and fish scraps?

xx
advice re chicken mites

Started by abd1964 on The Hen House

6 Replies
Last post July 06, 2009, 06:10
by karlooben
xx
Some help and advice please. Poorly chicken

Started by Freyas Grandad on The Hen House

3 Replies
Last post January 03, 2014, 08:02
by joyfull
xx
Another poorly chicken - advice please

Started by old chook on The Hen House

4 Replies
Last post June 26, 2009, 11:48
by old chook
xx
I got a poorly chicken any advice.

Started by Hawkins on The Hen House

2 Replies
Last post April 28, 2010, 09:15
by Hawkins

Page created in 0.511 seconds with 31 queries.