Another poorly chicken - advice please

• 4 Replies

old chook

Another poorly chicken - advice please
« on: June 23, 2009, 09:17 »
Margery is about 30+ weeks old, a light Sussex and up until Thursday in very good health.

When I let the chickens out of their run on Thursday afternon Margery didn't seem to be able to cluck, she seemed wheezy almost like she had a sore throat.  She let me look down her throat and it all seemed fine, no obstruction.  Her eyes were clear, her beak was clean and her comb pink.  She looked out of sorts and was holding her tail down.  Her symptoms didn't match anything in the poultry diseases manual I have so I nipped her up to the vet, though not a chicken expert, got her books out! 

Margery had a temperature but her chest was clear and sounded normal.  The vet gave her a jab of antibiotics and somethingto bring down her temp.  We isolated her over night and next morning she seemed brighter, was eating a little and drinking, her poo was a little runny but not smelly.

Four days later she doesn't seem to be getting any better, or any worse.  She is having oral antibiotics, is eating a little, drinking OK, her eyes bright and her comb pink but she seems listless and is going into her nest box very early.

What could be wrong with her and what should I do next - I dont want to loose her - she is a lovely hen has a really sweet personality!

Hensington

• Experienced Member
    • Blue laced
Re: Another poorly chicken - advice please
« Reply #1 on: June 23, 2009, 10:09 »
Check the vent for a stuck egg. Vet should of picked it up really but worth a check.

old chook

« Reply #2 on: June 25, 2009, 10:07 »
Thanks for the advice Hensington

She has laid three times during this illness, the eggs were all normal.  I have checked her again and her vents is all clear.  Her poo is normal as well. She is eating, but not as much as the others and is not as lively as she was - though she is interested in what is going on around her.

It is six days since it all started and she is coming to the end of the Baytril (0.4mg twice daily). 

Should we ask the vets for more Baytril or ask for Tylan?

ANY suggestions welcome

Foxy

« Reply #3 on: June 25, 2009, 10:51 »
Have you checked at night for red mite??? They can really pull a hen down and are surprisingly difficult to spot. Just a thought.
What does her crop feel like in the morning?

old chook

« Reply #4 on: June 26, 2009, 11:48 »
I wondered and have checked - no sign of red mite (nasty things!) and we have just scrubbed out the nest boxes and perches with Poultry Shield.  Should I do the exterior too (ladder to nest boxes, underneath nect boxes and joints in the run? )

Her crop is not very full but then her appetitie is a bit off.

The other two are very perky!

xx
Advice on poorly chicken please

Started by camelliagirl on The Hen House

2 Replies
Last post January 29, 2012, 16:00
by joyfull
xx
Advice please, poorly chicken?

Started by Mumoftwo on The Hen House

8 Replies
Last post June 05, 2011, 19:07
by bantam novice
xx
Some help and advice please. Poorly chicken

Started by Freyas Grandad on The Hen House

3 Replies
Last post January 03, 2014, 08:02
by joyfull
xx
I got a poorly chicken any advice.

Started by Hawkins on The Hen House

2 Replies
Last post April 28, 2010, 09:15
by Hawkins

Page created in 0.577 seconds with 36 queries.