Growing 'under glass'

• 13 Replies

fluffstermum

Growing 'under glass'
« on: January 22, 2012, 16:05 »
When the back of the seed packet says to grow under glass, does it have to be under glass to germinate?

I've just sown some onion seeds (Bedfordshire champion). A tray of 40 x 2.5" pots with one seed in each (I'm feeling lucky!).

At the minute they are on the dining table by the window. The room is quite warm. Can I just leave them there until they germinate? Or should I be covering them with a bag or something?

Also the packet says sow from March onwards, but I've noticed a few people on here sowing them much earlier (Boxing Day seems to be popular). Do I have to do anything special as I've sown them early, or can I just plant them outside at the usual time?

LilacSandy

Re: Growing 'under glass'
« Reply #1 on: January 22, 2012, 16:36 »
I got a bit ahead of myself with some of my onion seeds as they were also maked to plant in March. I put min in a heated propogator on the kitchen table but yours should germinate without bottom heat.  I would cover them with some sort of clear lid or plastic just to give them a warm damp atmosphere.  Take the cover off as soon as you seed the seedlings appear.

I potted mine on into plastic drinking cups when they got to the crooked stage just before they straighten up and have put them into an unheated greenhouse where they will stay till I plant them out when the weather warms up.

Higster

• Experienced Member
  • The Start
« Reply #2 on: January 22, 2012, 18:15 »
I've got my Bedfordshire Champion in trays in a cold greenhouse and there are coming on a dream :)
I think it helps a little with the mild weather
qui audet adipiscitur

fluffstermum

« Reply #3 on: January 22, 2012, 18:20 »
Oh that is good to know. Thank you!

sunshineband

• Global Moderator
  • Tallest Sunflower prizewinner 2014
    • A Little Bit of Sunshine
« Reply #4 on: January 22, 2012, 18:56 »
In answer to your question: no!

It means somewhere warmer than outside and usually gives an optimum temperature for germination  :)
Wisdom is knowing what to ignore - be comfortable in your own skin.
My Blog
My Diary
My Diary Comments

fluffstermum

« Reply #5 on: January 22, 2012, 19:00 »
Thank you sunshine.
So to us common people, 'under glass' can also mean 'on dining table in front of window' then  :lol:
I'll see how they get on...

sunshineband

• Global Moderator
« Reply #6 on: January 22, 2012, 19:06 »
Thank you sunshine.
So to us common people, 'under glass' can also mean 'on dining table in front of window' then  :lol:
I'll see how they get on...

Your onion seeds hsould germinate within a bout two weeks, but remember to think about light intensity and direction too, because it is easy for plants to quickly grow toward the light and get long and thin.

Someone recommended a little reflector made of aluminium foil covered cardboard to keep plants of the windowcill better lit (It was DD really  :lol: )

fluffstermum

« Reply #7 on: January 22, 2012, 19:16 »
Oh yes I remember reading about DD's tin foil invention  :happy:

All the little pots are in the tray right now, but as soon as they germinate I think I'll relocate them to the front windowsill, a single row with foil behind so they get a bit more sun.

This is my first attempt at growing onion from seed so I'm a bit excited about it!

Is it too early to start off some sunflowers indoors do you think? I'm a little impatient and have a feeling we'll have a freezing cold spell before it gets warmer.

sunshineband

• Global Moderator
« Reply #8 on: January 22, 2012, 19:20 »
What will you do with them when they get to be five foot or more tall before you can plant them out?  :lol: :lol:

Yes Too soon!!!  ;)

fluffstermum

« Reply #9 on: January 22, 2012, 19:23 »
What will you do with them when they get to be five foot or more tall before you can plant them out?  :lol: :lol:

Yes Too soon!!!  ;)

Pah!  :tongue2:

I can just see my hubby's face when he has to share the front room with a forest of sunflowers. Sounds fun!  :lol:

sunshineband

• Global Moderator
« Reply #10 on: January 22, 2012, 19:27 »

Yes Too soon!!!  ;)

Pah!  :tongue2:

I can just see my hubby's face when he has to share the front room with a forest of sunflowers. Sounds fun!  :lol:

As ong as you post a piccie, we'll let you plant the seeds  :lol:

fluffstermum

« Reply #11 on: January 22, 2012, 19:30 »
Watch this space  8) :tongue2:

DD.

• Global Moderator
  • Location: Loughborough. a/k/a Digger Dave. Prettiest Pumpkin prizewinner 2011
  • Pea God & Founder Member of The NFGG
« Reply #12 on: January 22, 2012, 19:31 »
Nooooooooooo - don't do it - really - don't! Sunflowers are outdoor plants, but not at this time of year. If you have to keep them indoors, you end up with weak plants.

I think you've gone a little "over the top" with one seed per pot, mine were quite happy last year in one plant per small module, after pricking out, but fingers crossed.

It won't hurt to throw a sheet of polythene over them, this will help retain moisture and save some watering, but be sure to remove the pot as soon as you spot the seedling.
Did it really tell you to do THAT on the packet?

fluffstermum

« Reply #13 on: January 22, 2012, 19:52 »

I think you've gone a little "over the top" with one seed per pot, mine were quite happy last year in one plant per small module, after pricking out, but fingers crossed.

I figured if it doesn't work out then there's plenty of time to sow more and put it down to experience (or buy some sets!  ;)). I love the 'making it up as you go along and see what happens' method  :lol:

Thank for your help  :)

xx
Growing Pumpkins under glass or outside?

Started by Zippy on Grow Your Own

10 Replies
Last post March 20, 2009, 10:53
by karooba007
xx
glass

Started by ToHellWithWeeds! on Grow Your Own

13 Replies
Last post January 02, 2008, 19:24
by cawdor2001
xx
Glass!

Started by Opposite on Grow Your Own

14 Replies
Last post April 05, 2017, 16:27
by BabbyAnn
xx
horticultural glass where from?

Started by Knight Family on Grow Your Own

3 Replies
Last post November 05, 2008, 12:46
by richyrich7

Page created in 0.502 seconds with 37 queries.