Glass!

• 14 Replies

Opposite

Glass!
« on: April 02, 2017, 22:17 »
Hi.
First post and am really hoping you all may be able to give me some advice. After a two year wait my partner and I have finally got an allotment. It's a bit of a mess but the hard work getting it sorted doesn't phase us. The only issue (and it's one I've come to realise has been a problem for loads of allotment holders) is that the site is literally full of glass. Every turn of the soil brings up shard after shard. We have been removing the bits we can as we go along but I know there is no way we will ever clear a patch of it completely. This doesn't oveverly concern me in the patches where the crop is going to be above ground level, but it does concern me if bits remain where root crops are going. Is there a risk of these picking up bits as they grow? Apologies if this sounds like a really dumb question but I am paranoid about ending up with potatoes with bits of glass in them. Your advice and experience would be greatly appreciated.

juvenal

• Experienced Member
Re: Glass!
« Reply #1 on: April 02, 2017, 22:24 »
I've never found a veg with even a little bit of stone inside it. The veg would grow round it rather than actually enveloping it. I think you are quite safe.

Anyone else?

mumofstig

• Global Moderator
« Reply #2 on: April 03, 2017, 08:47 »
I've never found a veg with even a little bit of stone inside it. The veg would grow round it rather than actually enveloping it. I think you are quite safe.

Anyone else?

Totally agree!

Fairy Plotmother

« Reply #3 on: April 03, 2017, 09:13 »

Anyone else?

Totally agree!
Agreed
« Last Edit: April 03, 2017, 09:16 by Fairy Plotmother »

Christine

« Reply #4 on: April 03, 2017, 11:26 »
You won't find yourself eating glass and over the years you will beat most of the problem. Better glass that you can remove than certain obnoxious weeds like mares tail.

Gellideg

« Reply #5 on: April 03, 2017, 14:40 »
Hi Opposite.I am pleased to hear you have finally got your plot.Good luck and happy "plotting"! The World's best hobby.The glass problem will sort itself out and be no trouble to you,eatingwise anyway. John.

robinahood

• Experienced Member
« Reply #6 on: April 03, 2017, 18:19 »
I have just the same thing, my main problem is that I have a lot of huge broken pieces, and window frames, just hoping the tip won't say it's trade waste and refuse to take it! I suppose I'll just have to make loads of trips. A pain as we only have 1 tip and it's miles away! Just remember to always wear gloves to be on the safe side, hope you enjoy your plot as much as we all do, I have only had mine for a month and I'm loving it. And welcome!

snowdrops

« Reply #7 on: April 03, 2017, 19:45 »
Have you considered sieving the soil? Google homemade soil riddles, I know you can't do it all this year, but you could tackle a bed at a time
A woman's place is in her garden.

See my diary pages here
and add a comment here

Rhys

• Experienced Member
« Reply #8 on: April 03, 2017, 22:19 »
My neighbours had the same problem. It appears the previous owner must've like the bottle a bit as there was a patch that was just broken beer bottles. I guess they just picke the bits up as and when they came across them.

I've got a patch of glassy soil, but that's from a home-made cold frame, made from windows that just rotted and fell to bits. I plan on putting another larger one in a similar position so not too concerned as I doubt I'll be planting anything there.
"There's no such thing as bad weather, just the wrong clothing, so get yourself a sexy raincoat and live a little." - Billy Connolly

Hampshire Hog

« Reply #9 on: April 04, 2017, 09:42 »
I have only ever found the odd bit of glass on my plot. Definitely wear gloves as suggested. Another thought is to turn over over beds a bit at a time and then add clean compost to make a raised bed. Hopefully any lost glass would then be too deep to bother you except for harvesting spuds etc with deep roots.
Good luck
HH
Keep digging

goose

• Experienced Member
« Reply #10 on: April 04, 2017, 17:17 »
after 14 years, i still find glass shards in my plot (and rusty nails).  even if you sieve the soil, more bits will come to the surface like stones do over time.

just do your best, clear when you see some and plant away.  i have never found any glass in my veg (or rusty nails for that matter).

snow white

« Reply #11 on: April 04, 2017, 17:53 »
Luckily, we are not allowed glass on our site so it will never be a problem for us.   :tongue2:

MustbeMad

« Reply #12 on: April 04, 2017, 17:59 »
My new plot is full of glass and rusty nails and lots of bits of rigid plastic, with several car loads already gone! I keep finding more even after a bed is dug - I hope it doesn't take 14 years to get rid of it all😄

8doubles

« Reply #13 on: April 04, 2017, 21:16 »
The chances of getting glass grown into vegetables is very small compared to the possibility of getting a piece of glass in a bottle or jar from the supermarket .

Even then think a big piece of glass would be needed to do serious internal damage .

Some variety acts years ago consisted of people crunching up and swallowing* wine glasses and light bulbs .

* Do not try this kiddies ! :nowink:

BabbyAnn

« Reply #14 on: April 05, 2017, 16:27 »
I think your biggest worry is not so much eating glass but cutting yourself (whether with rummaging for spuds or picking pieces up to dispose of)  Might be an idea to make sure your tetanus jab is up to date, and maybe have a handy little first aid kit nearby (with some disinfectant and plasters)

xx
glass

Started by ToHellWithWeeds! on Grow Your Own

13 Replies
Last post January 02, 2008, 19:24
by cawdor2001
xx
glass in ground.

Started by mrpotatohead on Grow Your Own

6 Replies
Last post July 29, 2012, 11:22
by Salmo
xx
Glass potatoes

Started by mikethetyke on Grow Your Own

2 Replies
Last post November 01, 2011, 10:30
by Aunt Sally
xx
horticultural glass where from?

Started by Knight Family on Grow Your Own

3 Replies
Last post November 05, 2008, 12:46
by richyrich7

Page created in 0.558 seconds with 38 queries.