Growing Pumpkins under glass or outside?

• 10 Replies

Zippy

Growing Pumpkins under glass or outside?
« on: March 18, 2009, 14:04 »
Is there any point in growing pumpkins, or even corgettes, inside a coldframe made up of three glass panel doors or are they just as happy growing "au naturelle"?

My previous year's squashes seemed fine growing outside after indoor propagation, but just wondering whether I woul dget a better yield using glass.

noshed

Re: Growing Pumpkins under glass or outside?
« Reply #1 on: March 18, 2009, 14:45 »
I would have thought in Cornwall they would be fine outside. The pumpkin fanatics on our site shelter the plants when they are small (they grow them on top of manure heaps) but in the summer the pumpkins are out and about, invading neighbouring plots.
Self-sufficient in rasberries and bindweed. Slug pellets can be handy.

andreadon

• My Diary
« Reply #2 on: March 18, 2009, 14:57 »
i start mine off in pots on the windowsill then plant them out into the garden when they've got big true leaves.

i'm in kent, though, and on a hilltop.
you could put them in the cold frame if you want, but i would still sow them inside.

Trillium

« Reply #3 on: March 18, 2009, 15:05 »
Even I start my squashes indoors for a head start and then plant them outside where they'll run rampant. Can't imagine any coldframe big enough to contain them once they start growing. I know Monty Don in Herefordshire (wherever that is) plants his outside.

peapod

• Pea Goddess
« Reply #4 on: March 18, 2009, 17:07 »
'tis what I do too, headstart in unheated GH then onto plot
"I think the carrot infinitely more fascinating than the geranium. The carrot has mystery. Flowers are essentially tarts. Prostitutes for the bees. There is, you'll agree, a certain je ne sais quoi oh so very special about a firm young carrot" Withnail and I

funkydelia

« Reply #5 on: March 18, 2009, 18:21 »
Just to crash this thread, I planted 6 pumpkin seeds about 3 weeks ago and only one has germinated.

Should I just throw the other ones out or is there hope yet?

Trillium

« Reply #6 on: March 18, 2009, 18:43 »
To be sure, you could gently move back some soil and see if there's anything happening. Could be its simply too cool for the rest to germinate.

andreadon

• My Diary
« Reply #7 on: March 18, 2009, 18:45 »
they do seem to have a low germination rate if you do it too early - that's why  start inside.

(btw, i would love to know if monty don is a distant relation of mine!)

peanut

• Experienced Member
« Reply #8 on: March 18, 2009, 18:51 »
I put 10 pumpkin seeds (harvested from Halloween) on some damp kitchen roll 2 days ago.  Covered with a propagator lid and had to plant them today as they had all sprouted but 1.  Took no time at all, but I now know I will have 9 reliable plants, rather than finding out leter that they haven't germinated.
Plot 11L Woodhall allotments, Chelmsford, Essex. 

It's against the law in Australia to fornicate with a kangaroo.................unless you are drunk!!!  Otherwise, it'd be disgusting :@

funkydelia

« Reply #9 on: March 19, 2009, 20:38 »
Think I might give up on them. They've been near the radiator, one has now 2 true leaves and all the chillies, tomatoes and cucumbers have done well. I've got more seeds so think I'll get cracking.

Cheers for the replies

karooba007

• Experienced Member
« Reply #10 on: March 20, 2009, 10:53 »
Think I might give up on them. They've been near the radiator, one has now 2 true leaves and all the chillies, tomatoes and cucumbers have done well. I've got more seeds so think I'll get cracking.

Cheers for the replies

Squash seeds shouldn't be planted deep. have a look to see if they are emerging but is taking them longer to get through the compost.
also have a look to see if little worms/insects have attacked them.
aslo have a sniff to c if they have rotted. Too much water could cause rotting and the insects. Also too little water could be the reason why they are not out, especially if the seed dried out when it had begun to sprout a root.
next time for squash seeds u can try putting them in worm water for a day then put them in wet tissue. When u see a root plant them. they will sprout quicker that way because the tissue will be warmer than the compost in a pot. Another trick is to plant them in a clear polythene bag and put near the window. The sun light will warm up the compost more quickly.
Another thing is that u should sow squash seeds with the pointed end down, as that is were the roots emerges from. if u don't do this the seed will take a little longer to pop out as its taking it time to twist/turn to orientate itself properly.
« Last Edit: March 20, 2009, 11:21 by karooba007 »

xx
Growing 'under glass'

Started by fluffstermum on Grow Your Own

13 Replies
Last post January 22, 2012, 19:52
by fluffstermum
xx
Growing pumpkins

Started by Biddy on Grow Your Own

1 Replies
Last post June 03, 2009, 13:33
by aelf
xx
GROWING PUMPKINS

Started by jazzbyrd on Grow Your Own

1 Replies
Last post May 06, 2008, 19:59
by gobs
xx
growing pumpkins for next yr

Started by kerrie on Grow Your Own

7 Replies
Last post November 01, 2010, 11:11
by kerrie

Page created in 0.529 seconds with 28 queries.