Growing pumpkins

• 1 Replies

Biddy

Growing pumpkins
« on: June 03, 2009, 12:32 »
Does anyone have a secret weapon in growing great pumpkins?  I've never grown them before (only got our allotment in February) and wanted the kids to be able to say at Halloween - we grew that.  They are the hundredweight ones - 4 are planted in the ground and I've put 2 in large individual pots just to see which will grow the best as I've no idea. 

I had a bit of nightmare at the beginning with the seeds not taking but then ended up with 14 plants so I've given some to my allotment neighbours and so it started 'who can grow the biggest pumpkin'!

The ones in the ground are in full sun all day (although I did have to shade them the other day as it looked like the sun was killing them off!) - the ones in pots are in the shade.

Any growing tips greatfully received!

Andrea

aelf

• idndtdodaftl
Re: Growing pumpkins
« Reply #1 on: June 03, 2009, 13:33 »
i watched a programme on growing pumpkins and it seems it's down to how well you feed them. But if you overfeed them when they are small, the plants keel over. Seems you have to build up the concentration and volume of what you feed so the plants get used to it. Feed includes well rotted manure and tom/comfrey feed (and loads of other 'secret stuff'!)

I do grow pumpkins but don't overdo the feed - I have to share it around the plot - but I get pumpkins about the size of medecin balls (remember them?) and they do for me.
Hope that helps
There's more comfrey here than you can shake a stick at!

http://www.wedigforvictory.co.uk/dig_icon.gif[/img]

xx
GROWING PUMPKINS

Started by jazzbyrd on Grow Your Own

1 Replies
Last post May 06, 2008, 19:59
by gobs
xx
growing pumpkins for next yr

Started by kerrie on Grow Your Own

7 Replies
Last post November 01, 2010, 11:11
by kerrie
xx
Growing Pumpkins in Pots

Started by Plot 2 on Grow Your Own

5 Replies
Last post July 27, 2008, 00:07
by FCG
xx
Fast Growing Pumpkins

Started by simonwatson on Grow Your Own

2 Replies
Last post May 27, 2011, 13:05
by simonwatson

Page created in 0.46 seconds with 37 queries.