Using the same bed for spuds

• 16 Replies

braders1234

• Experienced Member
Using the same bed for spuds
« on: January 10, 2012, 11:30 »
Hi, 

I know that you should rotate spuds but if I am using polytubs/bags with fresh soil each year is it a problem if i use the same area?

In reality only a few roots will get into the soil outside of the bags?

I am only growing new and 2nd early spuds if that makes a difference?

Anton

Re: Using the same bed for spuds
« Reply #1 on: January 10, 2012, 12:43 »
On the same subject, I know you should rotate to ensure a three-year space between potato crops being in the same place but is it a cardinal sin if they go just once in the same place (the following season) or after a two-year gap?

Anton

TheSpartacat

« Reply #2 on: January 10, 2012, 15:16 »
Braders... no problem that i can see if you're using fresh soil.
Anton... the following season, i just wouldn't. It's as much to do with the nutrients in the soil as it is to do with disease prevention. The soil will get depleted, weakening your plants and making disease more likely.
A two year gap- i'll admit to doing this. Sometimes crop rotations can leave you tearing your hair out so i've had to bend my three year rule occasionally. I made sure to add lots of fresh organic matter and manure, and extra care about feeding. Wouldn't do it if the last potato crop had any problems though. I got away with it...

solway cropper

« Reply #3 on: January 10, 2012, 21:26 »
I've seen commercially grown potatoes in the same small field four years in succession with no problems. Admittedly they use chemical sprays but let's not get hung up on crop rotation...it's not as critical as some people think.

AndyRVTR

« Reply #4 on: January 10, 2012, 21:35 »
I've sown my potatoes in the same place for the past 3 out of 4 years with no problems and good crops, I will be planting them in the same place again this year.
As for nutrients, they will be dug in with manure, fed with growmore, chicken pellets and organic potato fertilizer throughout the year....
Next year however, I have a different area for them to go for the next few years, as Solway Cropper said, Crop rotation is not critical as long as it is done at some point..

Yorkie

• Global Moderator
« Reply #5 on: January 10, 2012, 22:55 »
I've seen commercially grown potatoes in the same small field four years in succession with no problems. Admittedly they use chemical sprays but let's not get hung up on crop rotation...it's not as critical as some people think.

The reason they get away with avoiding crop rotation is because of all the industrial strength, professional-use only chemicals which help prevent the build-up of pests and diseases.

Amateur growers won't have access to those chemicals.

How do you propose to prevent the build-up of things like potato cyst eelworm if you don't rotate?  How do you prevent depletion of nutrients by constant re-use of the soil?

It's a false economy and poor husbandry to continuously fail to rotate crops where it is possible.
« Last Edit: January 10, 2012, 22:57 by Yorkie »
I try to take one day at a time, but sometimes several days all attack me at once...

TerryB

• Winner of the Tallest Sunflower Competition - 2011
  • Experienced Member
« Reply #6 on: January 11, 2012, 15:24 »
Each to there own, but as long as food has been crown, crops have been rotated, so personally I'd go along with thousands of years of experience.

Salmo

« Reply #7 on: January 11, 2012, 16:28 »

These would be first earlies in an early potato area such as Cornwall or Pembroke. They are lifted before they are fully bulked to get high prices and the eelworms do not have time to complete their life cycle. Sorry Yorkie but nothing to do with chemicals.

Elswhere farmers have to stick to a 1 in 3 year rotation.

AndyRTVR is a classic case. Back in the 1930s/40s, before potato growing was regulated by Defra, some farmers grew potatoes too often in the same fields. OK for a year or two but then with no warning the crops start to fail as the eelworms build up. Fields then cannot grow potatoes again for 10 years. Be warned.

AndyRVTR

« Reply #8 on: January 11, 2012, 17:39 »

These would be first earlies in an early potato area such as Cornwall or Pembroke. They are lifted before they are fully bulked to get high prices and the eelworms do not have time to complete their life cycle. Sorry Yorkie but nothing to do with chemicals.

Elswhere farmers have to stick to a 1 in 3 year rotation.

AndyRTVR is a classic case. Back in the 1930s/40s, before potato growing was regulated by Defra, some farmers grew potatoes too often in the same fields. OK for a year or two but then with no warning the crops start to fail as the eelworms build up. Fields then cannot grow potatoes again for 10 years. Be warned.

Ohhhhh, never been a classic case before... :) :)

Anton

« Reply #9 on: January 11, 2012, 19:03 »
Thanks for all those very informative posts.

Anton

AlaninCarlisle

« Reply #10 on: January 11, 2012, 19:13 »
I'll be into the fifth year of growing spuds in the same area this year. It's part shaded and really only suitable for root crops. Prior to me cultivating it, it had been pasture for as long as living memory

I'll add plenty of manure and also use a "Growmore" equivalent. So far, the yield has got better and better each year.

DD.

• Global Moderator
  • Location: Loughborough. a/k/a Digger Dave. Prettiest Pumpkin prizewinner 2011
  • Pea God & Founder Member of The NFGG
« Reply #11 on: January 11, 2012, 19:16 »
Until.................

Back in the 1930s/40s, before potato growing was regulated by Defra, some farmers grew potatoes too often in the same fields. OK for a year or two but then with no warning the crops start to fail as the eelworms build up. Fields then cannot grow potatoes again for 10 years. Be warned.

Did it really tell you to do THAT on the packet?

sunshineband

• Global Moderator
  • Tallest Sunflower prizewinner 2014
    • A Little Bit of Sunshine
« Reply #12 on: January 11, 2012, 19:20 »
Until.................

Back in the 1930s/40s, before potato growing was regulated by Defra, some farmers grew potatoes too often in the same fields. OK for a year or two but then with no warning the crops start to fail as the eelworms build up. Fields then cannot grow potatoes again for 10 years. Be warned.

Thank you for pointing this out DD.

I try really hard not to have the same crop families in the same ground even every third year, as I do not want to either deplete specific nutrients or build up an explosion of diseases in the future.

As far as I am concerned, it is about looking after the soil, and this means decent rotation amonst other sound practices

Each to their own however -- sharing experiences and making our own minds up is what this forum is for
Wisdom is knowing what to ignore - be comfortable in your own skin.
My Blog
My Diary
My Diary Comments

AlaninCarlisle

« Reply #13 on: January 11, 2012, 20:00 »
I should add that if and when this particular part of the field gets either nutrient-depleted, diseased or over-run with pests then I'll restore it to pasture and open up another unused area

solway cropper

« Reply #14 on: January 11, 2012, 22:13 »
How do you propose to prevent the build-up of things like potato cyst eelworm if you don't rotate?  How do you prevent depletion of nutrients by constant re-use of the soil?

It's a false economy and poor husbandry to continuously fail to rotate crops where it is possible.

It's interesting how steamed up some people get about things. I never said don't rotate crops, I said it's not as critical as many imagine. If you forget to do it one year it doesn't matter.

xx
Blight resistant spuds and spuds in buckets?

Started by shokkyy on Grow Your Own

45 Replies
Last post January 24, 2010, 16:36
by shokkyy
xx
Spuds glorious Spuds

Started by Antonius on Grow Your Own

20 Replies
Last post June 22, 2010, 22:18
by digalotty
xx
My spuds have gone mad!!

Started by lottielearner on Grow Your Own

3 Replies
Last post June 07, 2009, 21:12
by sunshineband
xx
Spuds

Started by carl on Grow Your Own

11 Replies
Last post April 20, 2013, 23:00
by grinling

Page created in 0.468 seconds with 36 queries.