What potatoes??

• 25 Replies

DD.

• Global Moderator
  • Location: Loughborough. a/k/a Digger Dave. Prettiest Pumpkin prizewinner 2011
  • Pea God & Founder Member of The NFGG
Re: What potatoes??
« Reply #15 on: January 03, 2012, 06:12 »
becs - you're not actually all that far away, it may be worth you having a run to Brookside Nurseries, at Anstey on the outskirts of Leicester.

I've been in touch with them, their first load of seed spuds are going out for this weekend and when they get the next load in, they will have a choice of around 100 varieties.

They charge about the same as Wilco, but the big advantage is that you can hand select every spud and only buy what you need, if you want 11, you buy 11, still sold by the weight as the same price.
Did it really tell you to do THAT on the packet?

becs

« Reply #16 on: January 03, 2012, 20:14 »
Thanks everyone, that really helps.

Gobs, sorry! The rows are about 6 ft long, as a family I suppose we use about a kilo a week?

I am wondering now if I can settle for one bed of pots and put in more strawberries!!
Becs xx

gobs

« Reply #17 on: January 03, 2012, 20:33 »
Thanks everyone, that really helps.

Gobs, sorry! The rows are about 6 ft long, as a family I suppose we use about a kilo a week?

I am wondering now if I can settle for one bed of pots and put in more strawberries!!

That's about 16x4 sets or so, depending on type and size. You could get a few good sackfuls out of that. (You must use more than kilo/week ;))

But then, strawberries are more pricey to buy and more often than not, hardly enjoyable. ( those from the shop)
"Words... I know exactly what words I'm wanting to say, but somehow or other they is always getting squiff-squiddled around." R Dahl

mparveen

« Reply #18 on: January 03, 2012, 22:50 »
Hi becs, I've just joined the website today and am already gobsmacked at the variety of questions and help.

As you live in Polesworth, Nuneaton isn't that far for you to travel to.  In the town centre there is Halwyn Nurseries who sell seed potatoes by weight and also there is a small holding in Ridge Lane, Oldbury (just outside of Nuneaton) going towards Atherstone.

On top of that I got a massive pack from Thompson & Morgan and they've got 20 tubers for £2.99.

We did an experiment with the Maris Pipers from T&M last year and they were delicious.
A novice gardener and looking forward to getting seriously fit with my allotment!

The allotment is 16 ft wide and roughly 90 ft long split into 8 plots!

m1ckz

« Reply #19 on: January 04, 2012, 08:12 »
i grow pentland javelin each year too,they seem to be good

JayG

• Global Moderator
« Reply #20 on: January 04, 2012, 08:37 »
Don't think anyone has mentioned The British Potato Variety Database yet, which tells you everything (possibly more than!) you need to know about the different varieties.

My local B&Q'd and New Leaf garden centre at Coal Aston both have seed potatoes on sale now, the latter having a good range including half a dozen varieties sold loose (unfortunately not a Lady Christl in sight so looks like it could be groundhog day again.  :()
Sow your seeds, plant your plants. What's the difference? A couple of weeks or more when answering possible queries!

One of the best things about being an orang-utan is the fact that you don't lose your good looks as you get older

snowdrops

« Reply #21 on: January 04, 2012, 15:40 »
becs - you're not actually all that far away, it may be worth you having a run to Brookside Nurseries, at Anstey on the outskirts of Leicester.

I've been in touch with them, their first load of seed spuds are going out for this weekend and when they get the next load in, they will have a choice of around 100 varieties.

They charge about the same as Wilco, but the big advantage is that you can hand select every spud and only buy what you need, if you want 11, you buy 11, still sold by the weight as the same price.
Ooh I think my niece in law works there I'll find out, I'm looking for some Lady Balfour as I had a wonderful crop from them last year but our lottie shop were'nt doing them this year
« Last Edit: January 04, 2012, 15:43 by snowdrops »
A woman's place is in her garden.

See my diary pages here
and add a comment here

DD.

• Global Moderator
  • Location: Loughborough. a/k/a Digger Dave. Prettiest Pumpkin prizewinner 2011
  • Pea God & Founder Member of The NFGG
« Reply #22 on: January 04, 2012, 16:06 »
You'll be like a kid locked in a sweet shop!

becs

« Reply #23 on: January 05, 2012, 21:45 »
Mparveen- thanks, think I will have to take a ride out your way and then on to Ansty!! (think I will leave OH at home for that trip!)

We have an allotment association shop in Tamworth which is supposed to be really cheap, just have to pay to join (£3 a year!) so will have to go around with my note book I think, mind you, the research all adds to the fun!

I cant wait to get stuck in properly this spring, it will be my first one.

mparveen

« Reply #24 on: January 12, 2012, 20:11 »
Hi becs,

I visited Halwyn Nursery on Tuesday afternoon and was absolutely gobsmacked with the prices that they were charging.

With Thompson & Morgan offering 20 tubers at £2.99, they were selling 10 for 47p!!!!!!!

They are smartly presented in order of sowing and for £2.70 for 3 kilos you can't go wrong.

Best of luck on your potato growing.

sunshineband

• Global Moderator
  • Tallest Sunflower prizewinner 2014
    • A Little Bit of Sunshine
« Reply #25 on: January 12, 2012, 20:15 »
Don't think anyone has mentioned The British Potato Variety Database yet, which tells you everything (possibly more than!) you need to know about the different varieties.

My local B&Q'd and New Leaf garden centre at Coal Aston both have seed potatoes on sale now, the latter having a good range including half a dozen varieties sold loose (unfortunately not a Lady Christl in sight so looks like it could be groundhog day again.  :()

This is why I ordered mine back at the beginning of October, well in advance, so I hope I get what I sent for
Wisdom is knowing what to ignore - be comfortable in your own skin.
My Blog
My Diary
My Diary Comments

xx
Supermarket potatoes using as seed potatoes

Started by Rotorvator on Grow Your Own

3 Replies
Last post March 10, 2024, 17:18
by snowdrops
xx
Sweet potatoes and regular potatoes

Started by Lady Rosemary on Grow Your Own

3 Replies
Last post March 05, 2013, 20:10
by Lady Rosemary
xx
early potatoes later potatoes

Started by Anton on Grow Your Own

1 Replies
Last post March 25, 2012, 13:03
by mumofstig
xx
POTATOES

Started by hickorychickory on Grow Your Own

2 Replies
Last post May 29, 2008, 18:26
by hickorychickory

Page created in 1.084 seconds with 29 queries.