What I did on the plot today - 2012

• 2319 Replies

gavinjconway

• My Allotment Progress Website
Re: What I did on the plot today - 2012
« Reply #855 on: April 10, 2012, 17:40 »
Planted a short row of Stokesley Peas sent to me by DD.. I'm doing these at home so I can collect seed (and eat some!!) without them cross polinating at the plot.. Thanks DD for teh seed..  

Also found a kids swing being binned at the side of the road so i knocked on and asked if I could have it for my beans!! - it's now at the plot..
« Last Edit: April 10, 2012, 17:42 by gavinjconway »
Now a member of the 10 Ton club.... 2013  harvested 588 Kg from 165 sq mt..

pawsnclaws

• Experienced Member
    • my web site
« Reply #856 on: April 10, 2012, 17:53 »
Went to me dads to do some bits and ummm sat and had a cuppa am poorly :-( watered the greenhouse bits looked at the garden had another cuppa hovered his kitchen and front room oops mud in there then went home lol

Judd

• Experienced Member
« Reply #857 on: April 10, 2012, 19:25 »
Had another 2 1/2 hours forking out the couch grass,stones and rubble!
I've done approx 6 sq yds today,I've been at it most days for the last couple of weeks and I've only got 1/2 way :wacko:
At this rate it feels like I'll never get it done :(
It's better to burn out than to fade away !!     ;)

Plottered

• Still on the same list!
« Reply #858 on: April 10, 2012, 20:18 »
As theres a frost forecast tonight I just went to plot to make sure my spuds were covered but they haven't poked through yet, Put some fleece on just  in case.
When I took the plot over it came with an 8 x 8 shed which was rather thrown together with a flat roof and some black plastic covering the roof. Recent winds have brought the plastic off and my shed is now a bit like a swimming pool after the weekends rains......I knew I should have sorted that roof out weeks ago when the weather was nice and warm....have to do a temp job with a tarpaulin tomorrow till I can get to put a slope on it and make it properly waterproof.
R.I.P Bobby Smiler Smith......love you always little fella.

AnneB

« Reply #859 on: April 10, 2012, 20:58 »
Went up to the plot after work.  It was quite busy up there, really good to be able to pop up during the week now.   I planted out two thirds of my broad bean plants.   Rest should follow in a week or so when big enough.

Picked some red celery - it is still going from last autumn.  Amazing.

We still have the giant lake at the bottom of the plot where we have been digging out for another raised bed.  The clay underneath the top soil is quite high at this point and drainage is poor.   We need a re-think on what goes where.   Even if we build this area up for a raised bed on top,  I think it will be too water logged on a regular basis for most crops. Back to the drawing board.

Mafro

• The Bushcraft Magazine
« Reply #860 on: April 10, 2012, 20:59 »
Planted one row of garlic, four rows of white onions and 4 rows of red.

Got hailed on.

Came home.
Bushcraft & Mushroom Mad

teamspotty

• Experienced Member
  • Everything spotty....
« Reply #861 on: April 10, 2012, 23:41 »
I continued on with trimming our hawthorn hedging (though on the side that I cut down last year so less work to do) and chopping intertwined bramble. Added more to the burn mountain as I chopped down the other side last week (some parts must have hit the 10ft mark).

Dug out pots ready to plant my Rocket F1 Pumpkin seeds for this year (as they were especially tasty as well as good carvers last year). Ummed and ahhhed about entering into the pumpkin competition (but I'd have to get a giant variety)... Though watching the Hairy Bikers Bakeation this evening (in Austria who like pumpkin seed oil) I did some more research on squash varieties and am toying with going for the best looking!
Everything spotty....

Dora5

• Experienced Member
« Reply #862 on: April 11, 2012, 01:03 »
An unplanned visit at the plot but a lot of little jobs got done...
I placed in the greenhouse the 200 celeriacs I transplanted on Easter Sunday (Many will be offered to my neighbours and also taken to Swap Shop in May).
I hoed around the broad beans, garlic and onion rows. Plus anywhere else that needed it.
I shredded and put some cabbage into the compost bin.
I transplanted some lettuce from the cold frame into the greenhouse (took some to do the same at home).
I watered plants in the cold frame.
I dug out 3 leeks and dug over most of the leek area as it will become my carrot area this year (although still a few leeks are left).
Oh... and most importantly harvested some radishes, first time this year! Also red cabbage :).

gavinjconway

• My Allotment Progress Website
« Reply #863 on: April 11, 2012, 14:00 »
Potted on about 200 Marigold seedlings to plant on my potato ridges to try to chase them pesky slugs..

CaroleG

• Grow, Cook, Eat It Blog
« Reply #864 on: April 11, 2012, 16:08 »
Made encouraging conversation with (or, more truthfully, at) the 6 parsnip seedlings that have poked their heads above soil. Enquired of the large tranche of bare soil what it has done with the rest of them  :)

Sowed some "Bright Lights" Swiss chard, and resisted the temptation to poke about around the asparagus plants to see if there's anything on the horizon. Or under it. I planted some 3 year old plants last year. Allotment vandalls ripped one out, but I'm not convinced I'll get anything from the remaining four.  They don't look up to much, fingers crossed there's something sturdy about to burst forth!

Sweet Pea 2

• Experienced Member
« Reply #865 on: April 11, 2012, 18:25 »
Strimmed the central path and part of the outside.  Did some weeding.  Planted out my Sunflowers, which one of the old boys said might be too early as we are forecast for a frost at the weekend (my packet said they are hardy).  :unsure: Planted some perpetual Spinach that had been left on a now vacant plot. :)

like diggingk

• Experienced Member
  • Our dog Molly relaxing on the allotment
« Reply #866 on: April 11, 2012, 18:53 »
took helf the plants out of the green house so hubby could put in new bench he made for me looks good  :D

then the rain came down at lest the tom's and the Q's will get a good water
then the wind the hell came down took me 10 mins to get all the tom's and Q's back in the greenhouse they were OK i'm cold and very wet  :tongue2:

made a cup tea and had a sandwich in the shed with hubby

then the sun came out  :) moved the broccoli and cauliflowers in to the cold frame gets to hot in green house

ground to wet to dig up the small bind weed why do they all ways pop up just out of reach  will get them tomorrow   

Mutantk

« Reply #867 on: April 11, 2012, 19:18 »
Hi everyone - what a funny day weather wise it's been here!  Gorgeous hot sun one minute then literally teaming down!!
I didn't go to allotment today but i started some chillis, jumbo bell peppers, kale, peas and beans but my BIG news is the gem I managed to snag from the bins at my littls boys playgroup!  It's an old coat trolley on wheels, a basket at the bottom (where shoes went) and then hooks along the top (where coats went!) it's around 3.5/4 ft high and I was thinking I could sit a growbag in the bottom, tie string nice and taut from the hooks to the base (maybe or some kind of netting?!) and then grow my peas up it to save precious space on the plot....wondered what everyone thought?  Barmy?  It won't work?  Ideas please!?  Thankyou!

teamspotty

• Experienced Member
  • Everything spotty....
« Reply #868 on: April 11, 2012, 21:34 »
Spent 2 hours on the bus from Nottingham to home wishing I WAS at the plot....

like diggingk

• Experienced Member
  • Our dog Molly relaxing on the allotment
« Reply #869 on: April 12, 2012, 18:22 »
hot wet cold hell wet hot that the weather on the plot today

hot and sunny :weeded all the beds

wet :had a cup of tea in the shed and tosted my cheesa sandwich on my new cooker

cold wet then the hell came down :i'm in the nice and warm green house  :D planted some seeds :sprouts broccoli marigolds more lettuce and repotted aubergines  :D 
the hell mad a nice sound on the greenhouse roof there must have been a inch of the stuff on the ground out side  ???

warm and sunny :decided to got home as forgot my coat did get wet but the sun was still out so not to bad    :wacko: weather

xx
what I did NOT do on the plot today.

Started by richrua on Grow Your Own

11 Replies
Last post March 30, 2013, 10:29
by BabbyAnn
xx
Been to my plot today for......

Started by jacnal on Grow Your Own

32 Replies
Last post October 23, 2007, 21:17
by gobs
xx
What I did on the plot today 2018

Started by robinahood on Grow Your Own

355 Replies
Last post December 26, 2018, 17:48
by Offwego
xx
What I did on the plot today 2017

Started by mumofstig on Grow Your Own

513 Replies
Last post December 27, 2017, 20:40
by Plot 1 Problems

Page created in 0.443 seconds with 28 queries.