Crumbs! It's finally happened...we have a plot!

• 22 Replies

clairebeau

• Experienced Member
    • My Blog. Brambly Corner.
Crumbs! It's finally happened...we have a plot!
« on: November 11, 2011, 21:09 »
Evening all!

Who'd have thought it eh?  That not only have we been given a plot but I actually have a choice!  There are 3 plots, all of which can be divided into halves if I so wish.  1 is so overgrown I would never ever be able to clear it of brambles and the likes, it's taller than me.  Actually that's not hard, I'm only diddy!  The next one hasn't been worked for a fair while and although it's a lovely placed plot I still find the amount of work that will be involved heavy going...especially when I tell you about the one I have accepted  :)
It's been worked right up to date by an elderly chap who, apparently, is finding it all too much and is letting it go.  It has several raised beds, a neat little gate, the soil is lovely and on the whole a productive little plot.  So it was an easy choice for me to make apart from the fact I can take on half or all of it. 

The half we've agreed to has most of the beds in it and some fruit bushes etc.  Top half of the plot (it's on a slight slope) hasn't been organised or used much so I was happy to not take on that bit...although, this evening my 10 year old son pointed out to me that we could put a shed on that half, compost bins, and an area for me to sit (thank you son  ;) ) and grow flowers.  Plus we won't have to have any neighbours joined on to us, or looking down at us in the little corner that we will be working in.  It's just I'm worried about  being greedy and taking on more land than I can cope with. 

Can you advise on what you would do if you were me? 

Even just writing this out has helped me a little...If the only available plot was the over grown one I'd have so much work to do even if I only had half of it...so taking all this one is less work whether I have half or all of it.

It's surrounded by random apple, plum and damson trees which adds to it's appeal, I do hope we can make this work.  I'm just having a confidence crisis, put me right will you? Ha ha.

Thanks for listening to me rabbit on. Let me know what you think would be best.

Claire. x
Claire. x

"Candy is dandy, but liquor is quicker!" - Ogden Nash

Yorkie

• Global Moderator
Re: Crumbs! It's finally happened...we have a plot!
« Reply #1 on: November 11, 2011, 21:35 »
The general consensus is that you always want more space than you have ...

What size plot are we talking about with or without the extra space?

Will you be able to keep on top of the unworked bit until you have time to attack it, or will your time be very limited?

PS Congratulations on your plot!
I try to take one day at a time, but sometimes several days all attack me at once...

mumofstig

• Global Moderator
« Reply #2 on: November 11, 2011, 21:36 »
Take it all  :lol:

If you only take half you will soon wish you had more space as you run out of room :( like I have :(

If you really do find you can't cope with it all then you can give half up later on........ but I bet you won't ;)

suziet88

• Experienced Member
« Reply #3 on: November 11, 2011, 21:38 »
oh what a dilemma.  I often wonder if I should have taken the whole plot or just the half I took on and I have to say that half a plot is more than enough for me.  But I can see the attraction of a whole plot ............ oh, I don't know ???

shoozie

• Winner - Best Sunflower photo, 2014
« Reply #4 on: November 11, 2011, 21:50 »
I'd go with junior :D

Elcie

« Reply #5 on: November 11, 2011, 21:57 »
Go for the full plot if you think you can manage it.  If it doesn't work out it will be easier to give half back than to try and get another half.

Good luck!

clairebeau

• Experienced Member
    • My Blog. Brambly Corner.
« Reply #6 on: November 11, 2011, 22:50 »
Ha ha! Thanks everyone, you're always such a friendly bunch.

I agree that it'll be easier to give back if I find we don't use or need it.  The raised beds are all very lovely and orderly but they seem take up more space than you'd think. 

The cost is also a factor...although when I think of it per month it doesn't work out too expensive it's just that because it's with a local parish council and not the county council the rent is HIGH!  Only half the rent for half the plot...I'm not sure I am brave enough to tell you how much they're charging. Oh what the heck, are you ready?  A whole plot is...

£80!!!  I was lost for words when he said.  I think that's loads, don't you??  Dare I ask what you all pay?

C. x

Yorkie

• Global Moderator
« Reply #7 on: November 11, 2011, 23:20 »
It's high but not off the scale.

Another way of looking at is that it's £1.50 per week.

There are several threads on here about how much people pay; if you do a forum search you'll find them.
« Last Edit: November 11, 2011, 23:21 by Yorkie »

Mr Rotavator

• Experienced Member
« Reply #8 on: November 11, 2011, 23:55 »
Congratulations on your plot.

Some councils will mow and strim allotments so it might be worth asking.

Also, for those waiting for plots, that it might be an idea to visit sites and the council contacted if there are vacant, overgrown plots. I can't believe that this is the only site with mini jungles.

Growster...

« Reply #9 on: November 12, 2011, 06:13 »
I'd take the other half too Claire, but £80 seems a bit steep to me too...

We pay £18 for a whole plot, but there the similarity ends. No water, no council clearance, no inspection...

We do get the first year free if it's been unused though.

Anyway, you're in for a fine future by the sound of it. Marvellous!

m1ckz

« Reply #10 on: November 12, 2011, 07:13 »
i pay 9 40, thats for 120 sqaure ydslike 30ft x 30ft thats with water,and i get a consession for senior lol

JaK

• Happy half plot.
« Reply #11 on: November 12, 2011, 08:27 »
If you can pay the £80 then take the whole plot, you could plant more fruit if you find you can't keep up with all the veggies.

I pay 12.50 for a half plot but it has no water on tap, insurace.........

I have had my plot for a whole week! So I know how excited you are, congratulations on getting one.  :)

brown thumb

« Reply #12 on: November 12, 2011, 11:29 »
i too would take on the whole plot you will needa shed at some time and that will take up value space and may be also a greenhouse in the future so yes to the whole (by the way what size is the whole plot)

sunshineband

• Global Moderator
  • Tallest Sunflower prizewinner 2014
    • A Little Bit of Sunshine
« Reply #13 on: November 12, 2011, 12:27 »
Glad you have the option of a whole plot ---- gives you so much more choice about fruit etc and flowers too, as your son pointed out.

Top marks to him there!!!!

Take his advice please  :D
Wisdom is knowing what to ignore - be comfortable in your own skin.
My Blog
My Diary
My Diary Comments

sarajane

« Reply #14 on: November 12, 2011, 12:40 »
Take your sons advice.  While a whole plot looks daunting right now, come late spring/summer next year you will be running short of space to plant crops.  If not, plant up with lots of fruit bushes. Half a dozen squash plants can  also easily take up half a plot when they get going .  I would love more room just to be able to grow more of these.  You will be surprised how much room they can take up.

I'm in Chester and Cheshire charge £35 per year for a full plot but believe me, full plots with the authority are as rare as dodo's

xx
finally got my plot

Started by Jasonc642 on Grow Your Own

15 Replies
Last post February 07, 2012, 21:31
by Jasonc642
xx
Finally got a plot!!

Started by rhysdad on Grow Your Own

15 Replies
Last post September 06, 2010, 21:31
by annieandjeremy
xx
FINALLY I HAVE A PLOT...

Started by Sadgit on Grow Your Own

15 Replies
Last post April 09, 2007, 17:38
by Sadgit
xx
Finally I have been offered a plot!

Started by fluffypebble on Grow Your Own

11 Replies
Last post January 28, 2007, 20:15
by fluffypebble

Page created in 0.476 seconds with 30 queries.