sorry looking cauliflowers

• 22 Replies

shadsncoops

sorry looking cauliflowers
« on: August 23, 2011, 18:46 »
can anybody tell me what's happened to our caulis? the curds have gone hard & yellowy with soft rotten patches. not what i'd call appealing or edible!

Willie_Eckerslike

Re: sorry looking cauliflowers
« Reply #1 on: August 23, 2011, 20:20 »
I lost all mine this year. One minute I had some lovely looking white heads about 3" across, next minute a big head of seeds. Apparently not the easiest crop to grow, but I'll have another go next year.

shadsncoops

« Reply #2 on: August 23, 2011, 21:50 »
yeah, i'd heard they were tough to grow. tried 2 varieties & both pants. ho hum. at least the runners & courgettes are going ballistic! good luck next year!

Plottered

• Still on the same list!
« Reply #3 on: August 23, 2011, 21:52 »
If theyre anything like mine are its slugs...they were fine one minute and a few days later I go to harvest some and they are covered in slugs all hiding between the leaf and the head....they dont look very edible at all now and i wont be eating them for sure.  >:(
R.I.P Bobby Smiler Smith......love you always little fella.

shadsncoops

« Reply #4 on: August 23, 2011, 22:01 »
i wondered that, but in 2 years i've never found a slug or snail on my plot. the back garden is a different story...

TerryB

• Winner of the Tallest Sunflower Competition - 2011
  • Experienced Member
« Reply #5 on: August 24, 2011, 09:40 »
Always keep them well watered because if they dry out they will run to seed quickly.
Also start taking them when they are small, better to have some small nice ones than lose them.
Took us 3 years before we got some good sized ones.

LottieSue

« Reply #6 on: August 25, 2011, 14:15 »
Out of about 10 Cauli Igloo plants grown from seed, I got 2 or 3 mini caulis plus one big one - hooray! Yes, caulis arent the easiest things to grow, and my plot is infested with clubroot (plus attacks by cabbage root fly this year) - but I feel much prouder of my one big cauli than all the courgettes and runner beans that seem to flourish without much input from me!
Gonna try Cauli Clapton next year - that's the one that's more resistant to clubroot isnt it?

brookegard

« Reply #7 on: September 03, 2011, 00:31 »
sori bout your cauli, i sowed mine in the greenhouse and only put them outside early may, 12 plants in total 8) mostly to give them a chance against the cabbage root fly :tongue2: as well as collars for protection, and planted in semi shade, lost none and have perfect large white/creamy heads, and a real treat to eat :tongue2: ;)
brookegard

mumofstig

• Global Moderator
« Reply #8 on: September 03, 2011, 09:06 »
Gonna try Cauli Clapton next year - that's the one that's more resistant to clubroot isnt it?

yes :) (I think there are others as well, though)

DD.

• Global Moderator
  • Location: Loughborough. a/k/a Digger Dave. Prettiest Pumpkin prizewinner 2011
  • Pea God & Founder Member of The NFGG
« Reply #9 on: September 03, 2011, 09:20 »
And highly recommended!
Did it really tell you to do THAT on the packet?

LilacSandy

« Reply #10 on: September 03, 2011, 11:02 »
I have tried for two years to grow cauliflowers, I do not have club root, and I have not had root fly but all I get is a lot of leaf and no curds.  Next year I will try putting them into ground that I dig this autumn as I have read that they do not like ground that has been disturbed recently, if that does not work I will just have to except the fact that I am not a good enough gardener yet  :(  Horay for french beans and Kale

brookegard

« Reply #11 on: September 04, 2011, 23:15 »
try next time in ground that has not been fertilized ;)and see if that helps 8) brassica i am thinking :unsure:could tend to put on leaf growth rather than fruit :wacko: if the soil is to rich ???

viettaclark

« Reply #12 on: September 05, 2011, 00:16 »
Depends on the balance. Too much Nitrogen produces strong green growth. Potassium chloride (Potash) is what you need for flowers and fruit.
Fertilizers like tomato feed/seaweed feed contain a higher ratio of K (Potash) in their NPK balance or you can just sprinkle a bit of potassium (white powder) round the roots.

NN2Blue

• Experienced Member
« Reply #13 on: September 05, 2011, 09:33 »
yeah, i'd heard they were tough to grow. tried 2 varieties & both pants. ho hum. at least the runners & courgettes are going ballistic! good luck next year!

Sounds like you need to be making the runner bean and courgette chutney like me!  :) Took a punt at growing cauliflowers this year - couple of varieties, Graffiti F1 and Romanescue. To my amazement all gave up some form of cauli - nothing huge I would have to admit. Seems an aweful lot of green for not much curd!  :D

Salmo

« Reply #14 on: September 05, 2011, 09:41 »
all I get is a lot of leaf and no curds. 

Caulis do not often stick to the timing on the packet. If you leave them they usually produce curds eventually.

xx
cauliflowers

Started by barley on Grow Your Own

3 Replies
Last post January 13, 2014, 23:07
by cadalot
xx
my cauliflowers...

Started by nuttytart on Grow Your Own

15 Replies
Last post July 29, 2010, 18:12
by nuttytart
question
Help with cauliflowers

Started by mad mark on Grow Your Own

6 Replies
Last post June 25, 2009, 16:18
by mad mark
clip
Cauliflowers - all over....

Started by andyww2013 on Grow Your Own

2 Replies
Last post July 24, 2019, 18:45
by andyww2013

Page created in 0.536 seconds with 30 queries.