Feel like i let my girls down

• 10 Replies

redjane11

Feel like i let my girls down
« on: June 03, 2011, 08:11 »
 I feel like i have lt my 3 girls down.
I have 3 hens 1 approx 3 years and 2 @ 1 year.  For the past few days the older girl seemed to be under the weather, sometimes hunched up, other times fine.
Looked at them yesterday and noticed that she was mucky in the vent area so picked her up and had a good look.
Was horrified to see what i thought was red might but looking on internet found it was lice.
Last night all 3 girls were smothered in lice powder paying particular attention to vent , under wings and all places with creases.
House was scrubed out and sprayed and aslo put down another powder on bedding.(can't think of name).  They will get the same treatment for the next couple of weeks to make sure they all gone.
older girl has not laid for a while and one of the others (black Rock) has been laying eggs with delicate shells. Plenty of grit oyster shell etc.  Wonder if this is down to the lice.
Feel like a bad mummy.
Adopt a chicken

Sassy

Re: Feel like i let my girls down
« Reply #1 on: June 03, 2011, 08:15 »
You shouldn't beat yourself up about it these things happen no matter how well you look after your chooks. :)

ps red mite don't live on the chicken but in their house, they feed on the chickens at night :ohmy:
Experience is what you get when you didn't get what you wanted!!

Davenports

« Reply #2 on: June 03, 2011, 08:22 »
Also put some lice powder in their dust bath as well.   ;)

Tigerwren

• Experienced Member
« Reply #3 on: June 03, 2011, 08:27 »
Hi RJ,
It happens, I wouldn't beat yourself up about it.  I would go and get some Frontline though and give them a spray as it will be much more effective.  It isn't licensed for poultry but is what many people on the site use.  There is no egg withdrawal either. ;)

Pixieswift

• Experienced Member
« Reply #4 on: June 03, 2011, 08:28 »
Ahhhh, this happened to me a few weeks ago, i was horrified when i saw the lice on my girl (mu favourite one) i beat myself up for day thinking how i didn't spot it sooner, i felt terrible and still do poor little girl...
The problem i have is no matter what i do i can not catch one of my girls, my wee sussex bantam had the lice so i powdered the ranger and large red sussex but the blooming barnavelder is impossible to catch even when she is sleepy she is alert and like road runner she goes crazy when i try to go near her and is frightened for day's after, i have decided to get frontline for kittens so i can just drop some on her when she passes me hope it works....
Good luck with your girls ;)

chasechicken

• Experienced Member
« Reply #5 on: June 03, 2011, 10:04 »
Don't worry - most years I feel down because the redmite have caught me out again.  We've had lice before too, and all sorts of other things.  It's all part of chicken keeping and it's a learning curve - you'll find next year you're on top of it.

The important thing is you've spotted it now and can treat them.  As for not laying, it could well be that - it's also a time of year where they get broody so if she's spent a lot of time in the next box then it could be that too.

Treat them and see how it settes down - I think you'll be fine, it doesn't sound like anything out of the ordinary, and don't beat yourself up!!

OpiumEater

• Experienced Member
« Reply #6 on: June 03, 2011, 10:21 »
I have a Barnevelder like that too! Only picked the breed as they were meant to be docile and easy to train  :nowink:

Lice crops up quick, but once spotten you'll soon be on top of it. I use Ivermectin as it does lice and worms. There is egg withdrawal, but as neither are laying at the moment, I'm not going to be throwing any eggs away  :D

Good luck

Christine
Alice - Australorp
Bernadette - Barnevelder
Dora - Silver Grey Dorking
LilliBet - Cream Leg Bar

evie2

« Reply #7 on: June 03, 2011, 10:59 »
As everyone has said, these things happen, that's why this forum is so good, everyone shares their experiences and you realise your not on your own :D

May this day be blessed with gifts, understanding and friends.  Merlin 2001-2012 Pandora 2001-2013 xxx

Raven81

« Reply #8 on: June 03, 2011, 22:52 »
A month or so ago I was devastated to find my cats covered in fleas - They are regularly treated, all their bedding washed etc. I was ashamed to tell people as I thought they'd think my animals were mistreated.
I changed my flea treatment and am keeping a much closer eye on them now!
I don't mean to go on a tangent, just wanted to say we've all been there, don't feel bad, you won't let it happen again!!
The glass is neither half empty or half full - it is simply the incorrect size! Find a new glass!

shetan

• Experienced Member
  • a wandering soul in a gsd body
« Reply #9 on: June 04, 2011, 17:07 »
i'm still dusting my brahmas 3 weeks after  i first spotted the lice - today i turned one of the girls over and she had empty egg casings encrusted to the fine down feathers under her vent area. have just come in after trying to pull cases off the feather shafts and inadvertantly pulling out a few feathers too...

these things happen - 1st time for me in 4 years and my girly has baldy patches on her bum but i don't think she hates me and its like someone said before - its a learning curve.
1 Husband, 3 German Shepherds, 3 Black Jersey Giants, 3 White Jersey Giants, 1 White Jersey Cross, 1Blue Buff Columbian Brahma, 2 Buff Columbian Brahma, 1 White Columbian Brahma,  3 Gold Brahmas, 2 Golden Quail, 2 Giant Continental Rabbits and a Sister!

henamoured

• Experienced Member
« Reply #10 on: June 04, 2011, 21:51 »
Shetan have you tried bathing your girls - this perked mine up no end after they had had lice (I used frontline which got rid of the lice in a couple of days)
For the baths I use a mop bucket filled almost to the top. Rubber gloves and a bit of mild shampoo - they love it! I wrap then in an old towel and then dry them off with a hair dryer on warm (Not hot) setting. I was a bit skeptical until I tried it but the hens really love it!

xx
My girls are making me feel guilty

Started by kattcottrell on The Hen House

17 Replies
Last post June 21, 2008, 22:53
by Porffor
xx
where to feel for an egg

Started by cammi on The Hen House

2 Replies
Last post May 05, 2011, 14:13
by cammi
xx
What should a crop feel like?

Started by Flowerpower136 on The Hen House

5 Replies
Last post August 10, 2009, 16:53
by dizzylizzie
xx
I feel awful!

Started by HENrietta on The Hen House

11 Replies
Last post April 18, 2009, 19:03
by treacleminer

Page created in 0.241 seconds with 28 queries.