where to feel for an egg

• 2 Replies

cammi

• Experienced Member
where to feel for an egg
« on: May 05, 2011, 13:06 »
Ruby (a bluebell) hasn't laid for 3 days now, so thought i'd better go feel to see if shes egg bound, then realised not too sure where to feel  :blush:  any directions please or will it be obvious
11 Chickens (Rhode Rock, Bluebell, Copper Black, Columbine, Coucou, Mystery Hen, Clarance Court, Araucana, brown hen ) , 3 Cats (1 mog, 1 bengal, 1 Bengal x),  2 Little Boys, 1 dog (Golden Retriever) and 1 Husband

Casey76

Re: where to feel for an egg
« Reply #1 on: May 05, 2011, 14:09 »
You should be able to tell if she is egg bound, as she will be looking extremely sorry for herself - feathers puffed out, head suk into her neck, tail down etc.

Not all hens, even hybrids, will lay every day ;)

As to where to feel, well... If you are right handed, sit the chicken on your left forearm with her head between your elbow and the side of your body.  As her breast is supported by your arm, you can secure her legs, one leg between your first and second finger and one leg between your ring and little finger.  Holding the chicken this way, is very secure, and as the main part of the chicken is well supported, she shouldn't flap.  You are now in a prime position to examine the chicken (not only the vent, but anywhere ;) )  For egg binding, you may be able to feel the egg two or so inches south of the vent, where the pelvic bones are.  Don't squeeze or press too hard, as the egg may break inside her, and then it is a trip to the vets :(

cammi

• Experienced Member
Re: where to feel for an egg
« Reply #2 on: May 05, 2011, 14:13 »
well i think i have just felt in the right place, just felt all soft felt another couple of girls too for comparison they felt the same, so fingers crossed she is just having a holiday.  She looks fine no other symptoms apart from no egg, its just not like her to have such a long break i thought it was best to check sooner rather than later.

thanks

xx
Feel like i let my girls down

Started by redjane11 on The Hen House

10 Replies
Last post June 04, 2011, 21:51
by henamoured
question
How should chicks feel????

Started by babaloo151070 on The Hen House

1 Replies
Last post June 09, 2012, 22:44
by joyfull
xx
I feel awful!

Started by HENrietta on The Hen House

11 Replies
Last post April 18, 2009, 19:03
by treacleminer
xx
What should a crop feel like?

Started by Flowerpower136 on The Hen House

5 Replies
Last post August 10, 2009, 16:53
by dizzylizzie

Page created in 0.39 seconds with 37 queries.