Peas in Hang Baskets...

• 9 Replies

N.WalesIdealist

• Experienced Member
Peas in Hang Baskets...
« on: May 31, 2011, 19:53 »
Evening all,

I've got pea seedlings I've got no room for...I was thinking about putting them in hanging baskets by the shed, has anyone had experience of this?  Would it work?!  I know they're quite deep rooted, but these are a dwarf variety...

Any help would be great!

Nige2Plots

Re: Peas in Hang Baskets...
« Reply #1 on: May 31, 2011, 20:06 »
I have not personally. Where will you get some support from and how many are you thinking of planting? To be honest I don't think it will work...................but Hey, what do I know!!!!!!!!!!!!!

N.WalesIdealist

• Experienced Member
« Reply #2 on: May 31, 2011, 20:22 »
Well a few clicks after I posted this, someone on "another forum" had the idea of attaching some netting onto the edge of the basket as support, I'm not sure if it'll work but I might just give it a go anyway, it really pains me to throw away seedlings!

DD.

• Global Moderator
  • Location: Loughborough. a/k/a Digger Dave. Prettiest Pumpkin prizewinner 2011
  • Pea God & Founder Member of The NFGG
« Reply #3 on: May 31, 2011, 20:28 »
I don't see why they shouldn't just flop over the sides and do their own thing.
Did it really tell you to do THAT on the packet?

Nige2Plots

« Reply #4 on: May 31, 2011, 20:34 »
Well a few clicks after I posted this, someone on "another forum" had the idea of attaching some netting onto the edge of the basket as support, I'm not sure if it'll work but I might just give it a go anyway, it really pains me to throw away seedlings!
Why not ;) ;) ;) Nothing ventured, nothing gained!

wighty

« Reply #5 on: May 31, 2011, 20:40 »
We sell veg plants from our shop, last year another shopkeeper  bought five trays of peas from us thinking she was buying 'sweetpeas'.  She planted them all in hanging baskets (and got a shock) when they turned into edible peas.  She has done the same this year as it 'werked fer her'.

1st time veg grower

• Experienced Member
« Reply #6 on: May 31, 2011, 20:45 »
I did this last year and it worked to a limited degree - they grew up wards attaching themselves to the chains on the hanging basket and on to the fixing on the wall. They didn't form many pods, I think because the hanging basket was too dry for them and I didn't water them enough. Let's just say I'm not doing it again this year...!

DD.

• Global Moderator
  • Location: Loughborough. a/k/a Digger Dave. Prettiest Pumpkin prizewinner 2011
  • Pea God & Founder Member of The NFGG
« Reply #7 on: May 31, 2011, 20:45 »
I think they'd be quite happy dangling there out of the way of slugs, I don't think you need to waste time making a support.

As per the previous poster, water is going to be the biggest issue here.
« Last Edit: May 31, 2011, 20:46 by DD. »

Zippy

« Reply #8 on: May 31, 2011, 22:51 »
I was moaning about the cost of planting up hanging baskets these days - now I know what I'm going to do!

Re: watering - this year I'm going to line baskets with plastic and not slit drainage holes unless it suddenly gets really rainy.

cherry toms, dwarf peas, strawberries ...

xJoeyx

« Reply #9 on: April 18, 2013, 10:30 »
I planted out three hanging basket yesterday with five peas sprout each in them due to excess sprouts   , All with  plastic linings in them ! I put a upside down plastic bottle with the bottoms cut away  in the middle of the basket with tiny holds in the bottom so that it will drip feed the baskets with water , I'm also going to attach some chicken wire around the out side of the basket so the peas have something to hang on to  ...... I hoping this will work , I'll let you Know in a few months  ::)

xx
Toms in Hang Baskets

Started by Jim T on Grow Your Own

4 Replies
Last post March 10, 2007, 20:56
by Martin
xx
garlic how do i make a french style string to hang up ?

Started by Sir Growalot on Grow Your Own

1 Replies
Last post July 22, 2008, 21:48
by bean_queen
xx
Tomatoes in baskets

Started by Bluedave on Grow Your Own

2 Replies
Last post May 06, 2010, 13:07
by Bluedave
xx
hanging baskets

Started by LILLILEAF on Grow Your Own

3 Replies
Last post March 08, 2017, 06:53
by LILLILEAF

Page created in 0.538 seconds with 37 queries.