purple spray???

• 9 Replies

avilla

purple spray???
« on: April 03, 2011, 16:46 »
Hi all have seen a few of you mention purple spray to prevent pecking of one another ,we are extending our brood(from 2 to 5) in the next few weeks and want to get some in just in case.

Is this the stuff we should get?

http://www.tds-saddlers.com/ProductDetails.asp?PCLinkID=15292

Many thanks
« Last Edit: April 03, 2011, 17:19 by avilla »

compostqueen

Re: purple spray???
« Reply #1 on: April 03, 2011, 17:15 »
Yes. Take care with it (if you do need to use it) as it can get on everything but the girl  :D

You can give your girls interesting snacks to peck at so they don't peck each other. Try and keep them busy so they don't get bored

They like to peck at a cabbage or a pile of weeds, will happily scratch up mixed corn (not too much) worms in the lawn (weeds in the lawn too)

You can buy Peck a Block (quite expensive) but it's what they give them in battery situations to try and divert them from pecking each other. Some folks on here make their own and there are recipes on here if you do a search :)

avilla

« Reply #2 on: April 03, 2011, 17:21 »
yes they have greens,sweetcorn,dandelions etc hanging was just in case any blood was drawn during any squabbles that may arise!!

compostqueen

« Reply #3 on: April 03, 2011, 17:23 »
I've only had to use it once and it was one girl pecking the other's head and making it red and sore.  One spray did the trick and she was left in peace. Like spraying hair spray I covered her eyes  :D  She looked very punk afterwards  :)

rachelr

« Reply #4 on: April 03, 2011, 20:28 »
I am still covered  2 days later. And i have ruined my best skirt . LOL

alisonwo

• Experienced Member
  • Hubby with browny his favourite
« Reply #5 on: April 03, 2011, 21:57 »
This stuff is gentian violet, when I was a kid in the dark ages they used it for warts etc, it's still a good antiseptic for us but the colour is a bit extreme.  One kid had it sprayed all over his feet for athletes foot, so funny looking back, but I don't think he thought so at the time.

Mulberry1990

• Experienced Member
« Reply #6 on: April 03, 2011, 22:02 »
We've been using it on one of our chickens after she had her tail feathers ripped out, but now not only is she completely purple, she's also turned the white chicken purple from getting too close to her after a spraying!
But there has been no pecking at the wound from any of the other chickens, and when we used it on one of the quail she was left alone too, so it seems to work well =D x
4 Dogs: Stanley, Oscar, Borris and Scraps, 8 chickens: Prada, Mulberry, Alessi, Apple, Dior, Bobbi, Eve and Fendi, 2 Guinea Pigs: Rupert and Milo, 3 Rabbits: Louis, Daisy and Charlie 2 Fish: Sandy and Pebbles, 6 Quail

otis pony

• Experienced Member
« Reply #7 on: April 03, 2011, 22:31 »
Used it on one of my girls the other day, who promptly shook, leaving purple spots all over my washing!! :mad:
...............happiness is wanting what you have, not having what you want.................

Lindeggs

• A little Kiwi
« Reply #8 on: April 04, 2011, 00:18 »
 :lol:

I have no need for purple spray but after these stories I'm tempted to spray my girls just for fun!  But I will not put on my best skirt or hang out my white washing before I do it.  :tongue2:

Squiggly

• Experienced Member
« Reply #9 on: April 04, 2011, 10:02 »
Lol Lindeggs  :D maybe they should do lots of different colours so we can change our chickens colour occasionally

xx
???Purple spray???

Started by louiseb22 on The Hen House

5 Replies
Last post September 17, 2010, 13:33
by louiseb22
xx
Purple spray?

Started by pink-chicken on The Hen House

8 Replies
Last post November 08, 2009, 17:38
by pink-chicken
xx
purple spray

Started by matilda duck on The Hen House

8 Replies
Last post December 21, 2008, 13:27
by Sassy
xx
Purple spray....

Started by Molly Hen on The Hen House

11 Replies
Last post January 24, 2009, 06:42
by Bodger

Page created in 0.313 seconds with 29 queries.