Purple spray....

• 11 Replies

Molly Hen

Purple spray....
« on: January 23, 2009, 21:01 »
People say that purple spray is a good deterent to stop feather pecking.
How permanant is this spray :?:   I want to have a go on my two Coral's (white hens), but don't really want them to have a purple botty for too long :!:
Would the purple not draw more attention to them and if it is feather pecking would they all not have a go?

Vember

Purple spray....
« Reply #1 on: January 23, 2009, 21:11 »
Hi Molly

I've never had to use it so don't know how long it lasts (touching wood as I type :lol: )

Hens are attracted to red so a red botty might continually get pecked, they aren't as keen on purple can't think why I think it's a great colour :)

Chick feeders are red purposely to attract the little ones to the food :)

Sarah :)

Molly Hen

Purple spray....
« Reply #2 on: January 23, 2009, 21:14 »
Well, you learn something new everyday. :o
I just thought they were red because it was a nice colour :oops:  :oops:

Not sure if it is feather pecking and it is just contained around their lower undercarrage (between their vent and the top of their legs)  There are no wounds (fingers crossed, touching wood also) and no signs of mites or creep things.  Got me puzzled really.  I may have to spend all day tomorrow spying on them to see what or who the cause is :?

Foxy

Purple spray....
« Reply #3 on: January 23, 2009, 21:20 »
Good luck mollyhen -if you do use purple spray,just be careful where you spray it, took me ages to get it off the downstairs loo, sink, boiler, hands....... :shock:

still not as bad as TMG and stockholm tar! or was that vember??? :lol:

pushrod

Purple spray....
« Reply #4 on: January 23, 2009, 21:22 »
Best thing is to give them more to do then they are less likely to peck feathers as it is often (not always) brought on  by boredom. Even if their run is small you can put rotten logs in and branches in to keep them more occupied. Have they got enough oyster shell/grit as sometimes feather pecking can be birds trying to remedy a calcium deficiency.
All these moments will be lost in time, like tears in rain.

poppies

Purple spray....
« Reply #5 on: January 23, 2009, 21:31 »
Hi we use this spray sometimes, it last's about 3-4 day's not only is it a deterent its a disinfectant as well.

like foxy said careful how you spray it I got it on my face and it stained  - looked like I had a black eye

BestBreast

• Experienced Member
  • Chhhhiiiiiiickens.......
purple spray
« Reply #6 on: January 23, 2009, 21:39 »
I sprayed on 8th Jan they are still purple, though it is wearing off slowly. Only sprayed once, think I will spray agin tomorrow if they are dry! Poor ladies got very wet wondering around today.
I had trouble getting the spray to work unfortuantly it ended up all over my hands, took lots of scrubbing to get it off and lasted a few days.

Funny thing is I always wanted lavenders and frazzles!

Molly Hen

Purple spray....
« Reply #7 on: January 23, 2009, 21:52 »
Quote from: "pushrod"
Best thing is to give them more to do then they are less likely to peck feathers as it is often (not always) brought on  by boredom. Even if their run is small you can put rotten logs in and branches in to keep them more occupied. Have they got enough oyster shell/grit as sometimes feather pecking can be birds trying to remedy a calcium deficiency.

Thanks for the advise..... me thinks I will be going to work with purple hands next week then :?

My hens have everything but an X-box in their run.  They have leaves, a log, sprouts stalks hung from the rafters, they get some greens on the floor when there are no sprouts (courtesy of my brother and his missis... and boy, they seem to get through a lot of sprouts :!: ) and inside they have a bowl of mixed poultry grit which looks like it has oyster shell in as well.  

Only the other day they asked me if they could have a TV in their coup but I drew the line at this  :lol:  :lol:  :lol:  :lol:  :lol:

pushrod

Purple spray....
« Reply #8 on: January 23, 2009, 21:57 »
Quote from: "Molly Hen"

My hens have everything but an X-box in their run.  They have leaves, a log, sprouts stalks hung from the rafters, they get some greens on the floor when there are no sprouts (courtesy of my brother and his missis... and boy, they seem to get through a lot of sprouts :!: ) and inside they have a bowl of mixed poultry grit which looks like it has oyster shell in as well.  

Only the other day they asked me if they could have a TV in their coup but I drew the line at this  :lol:  :lol:  :lol:  :lol:  :lol:

well that's my suggestions shot to bits  :lol:  It is obviously a protest feather peck to get the Xbox then  :wink:

BestBreast

• Experienced Member
  • Chhhhiiiiiiickens.......
advice re purple spay
« Reply #9 on: January 23, 2009, 22:36 »
I will be wearing rubber gloves when I spay in the future. If you have not got a spare pair of marigolds or latex gloves you can always pop to your local garage and pick up a free pair of gloves at the pump! You can buy gloves cheap enough from most supermarkets, I'm sure e-bay will have some. I used to use them when developing films and prints.

Knight Family

Purple spray....
« Reply #10 on: January 23, 2009, 22:37 »
i sprayed 1 of ours in November and I can just see a bit and ever so slight bit now. So I would say you will be looking at a month to 2 month depending on location and if in moult.
Graham = 2x Border collie Dogs, 2x Cats, 1x Wife, 2x Kids, 2x Hamsters and now 10x chickens.

Bodger

Purple spray....
« Reply #11 on: January 24, 2009, 06:42 »
The red of a wound and associated blood is like a magnet to hens when it comes to feather pecking. The purple spray, as well as being antibiotic removes the colour red from the equasion.

xx
???Purple spray???

Started by louiseb22 on The Hen House

5 Replies
Last post September 17, 2010, 13:33
by louiseb22
xx
Purple spray?

Started by pink-chicken on The Hen House

8 Replies
Last post November 08, 2009, 17:38
by pink-chicken
xx
purple spray???

Started by avilla on The Hen House

9 Replies
Last post April 04, 2011, 10:02
by Squiggly
xx
purple spray

Started by matilda duck on The Hen House

8 Replies
Last post December 21, 2008, 13:27
by Sassy

Page created in 0.541 seconds with 36 queries.