Purple spray?

• 8 Replies

pink-chicken

• Experienced Member
Purple spray?
« on: November 05, 2009, 23:01 »
I've heard mention of this strange sounding magical stuff, but what is it? I believe it's good for girlies wounds so want some 'just in case' etc. I seem to remember something purple splotched over kids faces in the dim and distant past and wonder if it could be the same substance, or maybe that was just jam?

Jan.x

hillfooter

Re: Purple spray?
« Reply #1 on: November 06, 2009, 00:09 »
Gentian Violet Spray, though not jam, is excellent for treatment of Candida Albicans caused by a yeast like fungus which infects the human mouth.  So I think what you remember on children's faces was this old fashioned antiseptic.

It's anti-infective and antiseptic for treatment of minor cuts, scrapes, fungus infections and yeast infections including Thrush and Athletes Foot. Commonly used to treat wounds on animals.  It is also cited as discouraging feather pecking and it seems to work to some extent though I wouldn't call it a repellant.  It can also be used to dye prawns for salmon fishing! So it's very versatile.

"Gentian Violet" refers to its colour, being like that of the petals of a gentian flower; it is not made from gentians or from violets (Wikipedia).

I don't think Gentian Violet is quite the same as Purple Spray as used on horses or Blue Spray used for fungal infections on sheeps feet though I believe these have similar application use.

For animal treatment it is readily available from poultry supply businesses just Google Gentian Violet Spray.  It costs about £3.50 for a 250ml bottle.  It stains very readily and you should use with rubber gloves and not in your Sunday best clothes.  It's a permanent addition to my first aid kit.

Regards

« Last Edit: November 08, 2009, 12:21 by hillfooter »
Truth through science.

alisonwo

• Experienced Member
  • Hubby with browny his favourite
« Reply #2 on: November 06, 2009, 09:16 »
Hi Jan the purple spray is gentian violet and yes its the same stuff we had sprayed on us as children for various ailments, I seem to remember some poor kid at infant school with chicken pox whose mum sprayed him head to foot with the stuff.  the only difference between people and animal spray is the concentrate % used.  Pity it went out of general use for people as its cheap to buy and very good. alison

alisonwo

• Experienced Member
  • Hubby with browny his favourite
« Reply #3 on: November 06, 2009, 09:17 »
Not sure I would like to use purple spray for my thrush though  :blink:

pink-chicken

• Experienced Member
« Reply #4 on: November 08, 2009, 10:02 »
Thank you both!  :D

Hillfooter that's a fab description and I'll be googling and buying some, Gentian Violet, not jam lol.

Alison the mind boggles at the thought of using it for your thrush! lol. It would work as an interesting natural hair dye at the same time though  ;)

Jan.x

Sassy

« Reply #5 on: November 08, 2009, 10:18 »
Sorry can't resist. Purple spray is used for thrush in horses. Horses get thrush in their feet :D :D :D
Experience is what you get when you didn't get what you wanted!!

pink-chicken

• Experienced Member
« Reply #6 on: November 08, 2009, 10:39 »
 :D Sassy, I can't think what to say to that one! Lol!

Jan.x

Flowerpower136

« Reply #7 on: November 08, 2009, 16:38 »
Didn't it used to be used for ringworm?

Be careful using it, it's very very thin and runny.

I sprayed Tilly with it and she flapped and sprayed me back :lol:

White spirit and a hot wash got it out of my skirt, had to wait for the splotch on my face to fade naturally though!

Tilly has now faded to a lovely shade of lilac.

pink-chicken

• Experienced Member
« Reply #8 on: November 08, 2009, 17:38 »
 :lol: Flowerpot! Your post made me laugh, that would be just the kind of thing that would happen to me. I'll be sure to wear something purple from head to foot if I ever need to use it on the girls  :)

Jan.x

xx
purple spray

Started by matilda duck on The Hen House

8 Replies
Last post December 21, 2008, 13:27
by Sassy
xx
Purple spray....

Started by Molly Hen on The Hen House

11 Replies
Last post January 24, 2009, 06:42
by Bodger
xx
???Purple spray???

Started by louiseb22 on The Hen House

5 Replies
Last post September 17, 2010, 13:33
by louiseb22
xx
purple spray???

Started by avilla on The Hen House

9 Replies
Last post April 04, 2011, 10:02
by Squiggly

Page created in 0.309 seconds with 36 queries.