advice needed please

• 7 Replies

clare30

advice needed please
« on: March 29, 2011, 10:19 »
Hi I was hoping you more experienced hen keepers might be able to help.
I have four beautiful girls,2 Isa warrens and two rhode/rock .None are laying yet, I have had them for about 6-8 weeks and they were POL.One of my warren (maureen), is gapeing so I took her to the vet as unsure of which product to use etc.She was weighed and the vet said she was very thin.She has practically no comb, whereas the others are looking bright red and getting quite large now.The vet couldnt see any gapeworm, and said she will talk to the poultry vet about maureen and get back to me.The other hens seem fine and will eat treats but dont always finish their layers pellets.Cooked spaghetti is their fav.
I have wormed them using vermex.
Any suggestions would be gratefully received
thankyou in anticipation
clare x

joyfull

• Monarch Engineering Ltd
Re: advice needed please
« Reply #1 on: March 29, 2011, 10:33 »
verm-x is an organic substance that is claimed to be a preventative, however there appears to be no proof that it actually works (several people have asked the manufacturers for proof but not heard anything back). Use Flubenvet which has the proof that it works and is recommended and tested for use in poultry.
Staffies are softer than you think.

Aunt Sally

• Administrator
  • Everyone's Aunty
« Reply #2 on: March 29, 2011, 10:40 »
... and vermex may be claimed to have some affect on gut worms but it has never been claimed to have any affect on lung worms !

Casey76

« Reply #3 on: March 29, 2011, 10:42 »
Hi Clare, and welcome to the henhouse :)

Please use a chemical wormer such as Flubenvet (flubendazole).  While VermX may have some anecdotal evidence of being a prophylactic, it will not kill an existing worm burden.  It also will not kill gape worm (which is actually very rare).  If you prefer to keep using a herbal product, please consider using Flubenvet one a year just to be on the safe side.

ISA browns/Warrens are meant to be lean (1.25 - 1.5kg)  You should easily be able to feel thier keel (breast bone) - fat hens do not lay.

Layers pellets should be available constantly throughout the day.  Treats should be limited to <5% of the diet, and preferably given in the evening when the hens have had time to eat their nutritionally balanced pellets throught the day. (so a small handfull of mixed corn thrown down as a scratch between your four would be adequate.)

Unfortunately unscrupulous sellers will sell pullets as POL from as early as 12 weeks, which is when they reach adult-ish size.  For Warrens I wouldn't expect eggs before 18 weeks, and do not be disappointed to wait until 22-24 weeks which is more normal for POL. - not that I'm saying your supplier is unscrupulous ;) but it is difficult to tell the age of the birds after they get to about 12 weeks, so while the birds may be sold as POL, they may actually be a few weeks off that yet.

If Maureen still has no comb, then is it likely she is younger than the other three, so don't worry about the lack of eggs just yet :)
« Last Edit: March 29, 2011, 10:45 by Casey76 »

clare30

« Reply #4 on: March 29, 2011, 10:51 »
thankyou everyone...maureen was 130 (presume grams ???)...Although I have seen no signs of investations in poo, I wormed them on the safe side anyway,but will try and get some of the womrer you suggested
thankyou again x

Aunt Sally

• Administrator
  • Everyone's Aunty
« Reply #5 on: March 29, 2011, 11:00 »
I'm sure it will be Kilos - 1.30 Kg which is fiffne for a young hen.

It is quite rare to see worms in the poo's as they tend to stay in the gut and not be passed out.  It's just the eggs (which you won't be able to see) that are passed out with the poos.

helens-hens

« Reply #6 on: March 29, 2011, 14:21 »
One small thing, not related to the gaping. You mentioned that you give them cooked spaghetti as a treat - I am sure I have read somewhere on the forum that this can be harmful and not always readily digestible - perhaps keep that to an absolute minimum!
Helen

clare30

« Reply #7 on: March 29, 2011, 17:25 »
She was gapeing when we got her and I only just started giving it to her about 5 days ago,but thankyou anyway I think I will giving it only occasionely.
The vet just rang back and as well as giving me a proper wormer, she also said that Mycoplasma could be a cause (hope I spelt it right) ..I know that humans have this and it can cause problems but she said that it isnt the same strain,so is prescribing antibiotics
wish us luck

question
Help needed please... advice on chicks needed

Started by newatthis on The Hen House

6 Replies
Last post August 21, 2010, 17:26
by Sassy
xx
SOS advice needed please!!

Started by koo on The Hen House

8 Replies
Last post March 30, 2011, 23:37
by koo
xx
Your advice needed

Started by meterman on The Hen House

7 Replies
Last post May 18, 2008, 09:26
by meterman
xx
Advice needed please

Started by Tosca on The Hen House

13 Replies
Last post February 10, 2011, 21:54
by Tosca

Page created in 0.213 seconds with 30 queries.