laying eggs in odd places

• 12 Replies

Tigerwren

• Experienced Member
laying eggs in odd places
« on: March 23, 2011, 14:15 »
Hi all,
my newest girl who is only about 21 wks has begun laying huge eggs (in the last few days only).  I am so pleased, she is a star!  Anyway, I have two problems which I hope you can help with
1.  She refuses to go in the coop with the rest of the girls (no bullying)  but lies on the lane and waits until I get too stressed and have to go and pick her up.   When she sees me, she stands up and waits to be lifted.  I then place her in the run and she heads off to bed so I can lock up.  The issue is we have a lot of badgers and my neighbour lost all of her girls the other night when she forgot to lock them up.
2.  The lovely eggs are also laid in the lane.  She seems to have made a nest for herself, although today she laid the egg in a different place.  I have made a different bed in the run (and put a golf ball there  to show her), thinking that if she could at least lay there it wouldn't be so bad, but it hasn't worked.
Sorry to go on, but any advice welcome - will not be offended if you tell me I have done something/everything wrong ;) ;)
Thanks

joyfull

• Monarch Engineering Ltd
Re: laying eggs in odd places
« Reply #1 on: March 23, 2011, 14:36 »
you may have to shut her in a run in the mornings so that she has to lay her eggs in the run or coop.
I had a hen hatch 9 chicks in a nearby field last year and another sitting for 4 weeks on eggs down the embankment to the beck next to us - it is very steep so couldn't get down to her - but every day she came back for food and a drink then toddled off again - this lot must have failed to hatch as she then joined the others without any chicks  :(.
At the moment I have 2 who lay on top of a pile of bricks about 8 feet high (I have to climb to get them), another lays inside a lorry cab, another in an old sink unit and another behind some pallets - plus probably some more places I haven't yet discovered  ::)
Staffies are softer than you think.

evie2

« Reply #2 on: March 23, 2011, 17:17 »
We found a dozen or so behind the log burner which had been stored away for the winter but those hens never laid in the nest box, if they laid in the coop it was always in a corner and then they buried the eggs so we had to dig them out >:(

The big hens we have now free range so we've had eggs on the compost heaps, under the poots coop, in the log pile and a nest they built in a tree, but as soon as we fined their hidey hole the stop laying there and go back to the nest box for a while to lull us into a false sence of security :nowink:

The poots and bantams lay in their coop but like to use the 4 nest boxes in turn oh yes and today behind the log in the coop corner, it's a bit like an easter egg hunt every day, wee Evie loves it :lol:
May this day be blessed with gifts, understanding and friends.  Merlin 2001-2012 Pandora 2001-2013 xxx

Tigerwren

• Experienced Member
« Reply #3 on: March 24, 2011, 16:03 »
mm, thanks for the suggestions, the problem is that she lays her eggs very late in the day, for example I have just picked up today's egg as she laid it only moments ago (still very warm!)  She is also the last one to go to bed as I said and usually the first one out, so maybe she doesn't realise that there is a nest box in the coop?   :lol:  I will have to become good at finding out her hiding places if I don't sort this!!  :nowink:

ManicMum

• Experienced Member
« Reply #4 on: March 24, 2011, 16:30 »
That sounds like Chicken: 1, Human: nil

Is she waiting in the lane in order to get attention? And if so, can you meet that need by hand-feeding treats in a place you'd prefer - outside your back door or in the run?
ManicMum

Tigerwren

• Experienced Member
« Reply #5 on: March 24, 2011, 17:04 »
Hi ManicMum,  yes, I definitely think she is playing at being 'baby'!  I do hand feed the girls a handful of corn each day and they do come to the back door for those and then follow me to the run and I always go and pick her up on the lane for a cuddle before bedtime.  Maybe she has attention deficit disorder! :lol:  will have to try harder to make her feel happy!!!

ManicMum

• Experienced Member
« Reply #6 on: March 24, 2011, 18:54 »
"Little finger" and "wound round" spring to mind - you and the rest of us!

Tigerwren

• Experienced Member
« Reply #7 on: March 24, 2011, 19:17 »
 :D :D Yes, I think you are right.  It did occur to me that I was spoiling her by going and picking her up to take her to bed every night, but then I think I enjoy it as much as she does!

ella98

« Reply #8 on: March 25, 2011, 22:21 »
hi,
i had the exact same problem but what i did is shut them all up in their cope for about a week and put some fake eggs in the nestbox so they know where to lay!... hope this helps :D

Tigerwren

• Experienced Member
« Reply #9 on: March 26, 2011, 07:39 »
Hi Ella98, that's a good idea which I might have to try as to top it off, she has now started laying in the fields and yesterday I couldn't find her egg at all!  I have been putting off locking the girls in as I think the 'boss' would pick on her if they are confined and I know that she doesn't like to be in the run for too long.  Thank you for the help, I will let you know how it turns out!  ::)

bastonjock

• South Lincolnshire
« Reply #10 on: March 27, 2011, 11:33 »
I have to do an egg run with mine,i usually find 4-5 in the coop,then i go to the tack shed where the silkie lays hers after that its into the hay barn and i have two in different spots laying there,ive also found them in the tool shed.

french bob

« Reply #11 on: March 29, 2011, 16:05 »
Hi all,

yep chucks can be crafty so & so's.  ::) The picture shows 33 eggs that had been laid behind a box that was place with the opening pushed against the coop wall, under the poo catcher (plank of wood) below their perch. They moved the box just enough to get behind it and laid their eggs. I only found the eggs because I happen to see a chicken appear from behind the box. Moved the box, thats that sorted I thought  :nowink: 3 months later I found 15 eggs laid under a bush. Well the hunt keeps me fit.  ;)
hidden eggs.jpg
Another fine day for drinking French wine

Tigerwren

• Experienced Member
« Reply #12 on: March 29, 2011, 16:34 »
Well that did make me laugh!  Gladly I only have one naughty girl, although even that does keep me on my toes as I am never sure if she has laid an egg or not!  :lol:

xx
Laying less eggs

Started by CattinJ on The Hen House

4 Replies
Last post May 01, 2010, 13:00
by themagicaltoad1
xx
Hen laying 2 eggs

Started by redjane11 on The Hen House

9 Replies
Last post July 04, 2011, 12:56
by redjane11
xx
still laying soft eggs

Started by sneezer on The Hen House

4 Replies
Last post June 04, 2010, 18:15
by sneezer
xx
hens laying eggs

Started by goldnessy on The Hen House

13 Replies
Last post July 15, 2010, 18:40
by Sassy

Page created in 0.291 seconds with 37 queries.