SOS advice needed please!!

• 8 Replies

koo

SOS advice needed please!!
« on: March 30, 2011, 21:33 »
Can anyone give me some super quick advice. I have just hatched some bantam chicks in the incubator for the first time. I have left them over 24 hours to completely dry out and had moved them to a box using a Brinsea Ecoglow heat pad however it has decided to stop working at this most critical time  :unsure: so i have opened the vent full on my incu, lined it with kitchen paper and put the chicks back in there with food and water. Is this ok until i can get to the shops tomorrow and buy a new heat lamp. The incu is a Brinsea Octogon 20 Eco. Its current temp is around 38oC. Thank you so much for reading and for any advice for my little chicks xx

Oakdalebirds1

• Experienced Member
  • 3 Girls need more......
Re: SOS advice needed please!!
« Reply #1 on: March 30, 2011, 21:40 »
Koo

we once had a failed lamp so we placed our new hatched chicks in a box with water etc in the airing cupboard for the night till shops opened
However you have the inci so i would assume they will be fine overnight as some hens dont move off the spare eggs for a day or two.

Hope all works out
3 girls .............very addictive these girls are becoming

koo

« Reply #2 on: March 30, 2011, 22:05 »
Thank you for the quick advice. We don't have a airing cupboard!! They seem ok in the Incu only i just checked them again and some of them were panting (they have water in a small dish). I have just googled what the temp should be on a normal heat lamp and it said 35 oC so i have turned the Incu down to about 35.5 oC as i have 2 chicks that were born this morning and may not be completely dry. Gosh i need another glass of wine !!! I don't know how i will sleep with this worry tonight haha xx

gracie

• Experienced Member
« Reply #3 on: March 30, 2011, 22:08 »
Good luck with your babies tonight. Think I will be awake with you as mine are due tomorrow and I am so excited

koo

« Reply #4 on: March 30, 2011, 22:25 »
Hi Gracie, Is this your 1st time as well? What are you hatching and how many? I have had chicks before from our broody hens and that is so easy!! Although its great having the Inci in the house and being able to watch it all, i must admit i have found it stressfull lol xx

gracie

• Experienced Member
« Reply #5 on: March 30, 2011, 22:38 »
Yes, first time. We have 16 eggs at the school where I work and I will get half of what hatches. I know there are a couple of Marans but to tell you the truth I haven't really concentrated on the breeds as I didn't want to count my chickens as this is the first time we have used the incubator. All 16 are looking good after candling. Ideally I would like 4 girls, the teacher who donated the eggs will take the cocks back but if after sexing I end up with more than 4 girls I couldn't possibly send the extras back.
Let's hope we both have good news

koo

« Reply #6 on: March 30, 2011, 22:57 »
Fingers crossed Gracie  :) How lovely for the children to have that experience. My chicks will be going into my sons class for the day when they are strong enough :). Do you have other hens or are these your first?

gracie

• Experienced Member
« Reply #7 on: March 30, 2011, 23:04 »
These are my first, husband has wanted for ages, finally I have wanted to do it rather than feel forced into, so I am really excited. He has built a lovely hen house that should be in situ at the weekend ready for a run to be fitted. I have found the Haynes chicken manual invaluable and this site definitely crossing the T's, guess I am such an organised person I don't want to leave anything to chance, probably should chill a bit but the chicks are primarily going to be family pets with the eggs as a bonus

koo

« Reply #8 on: March 30, 2011, 23:37 »
I think it is good to read, read and read some more lol. Although in my experience there is always something that you didn't think of when keeping chickens. I think i have made my fair share of mistakes over the years but the most important thing is that you enjoy keeping them and looking after them. Protect against the rotten red mite and worm regular and just enjoy them ..no doubt you have been warned of the danger of becoming a chicken addict!!  ;) Look forward to hearing about your new arrival's. Mine are all sleeping soundly now. It looks like one giant sleep over in the Inci xx

question
Help needed please... advice on chicks needed

Started by newatthis on The Hen House

6 Replies
Last post August 21, 2010, 17:26
by Sassy
xx
advice needed

Started by WOODY7 on The Hen House

3 Replies
Last post February 10, 2011, 18:18
by alisonwo
xx
Hen not well - advice needed

Started by Fenland Girl on The Hen House

16 Replies
Last post January 01, 2008, 08:42
by Aunt Sally
xx
Advice needed

Started by Karhog on The Hen House

7 Replies
Last post February 27, 2012, 19:56
by helens-hens

Page created in 0.337 seconds with 28 queries.