Do Chicken coops smell?

• 39 Replies

shetan

• Experienced Member
  • a wandering soul in a gsd body
Re: Do Chicken coops smell?
« Reply #30 on: March 24, 2011, 22:47 »
the coops don't smell too much - usually they smell of the bedding.

after lots of rain the run does whiff a bit though...mud and poo do not make an appealing cocktail (its def. not a pina colada!  ??? ).

we have slabbed our runs and its made a massive difference. we hose down the run area once a week and wash everything away...it all runs into the soil and we all know that chicken poo is a fab fertiliser so thats another bonus. plus the foxes have never been so frustrated!  :D

our brahmas and cochins are much happier and we just grow grass in shallow troughs for them so that they still get to scratch around - not to mention the free ranging they get daily.
1 Husband, 3 German Shepherds, 3 Black Jersey Giants, 3 White Jersey Giants, 1 White Jersey Cross, 1Blue Buff Columbian Brahma, 2 Buff Columbian Brahma, 1 White Columbian Brahma,  3 Gold Brahmas, 2 Golden Quail, 2 Giant Continental Rabbits and a Sister!

Madrat

• Experienced Member
« Reply #31 on: March 29, 2011, 21:46 »
I tried slabs in our coop and the girls were not happy at all  :mad:  had to remove them

wildwitchy

« Reply #32 on: March 29, 2011, 22:30 »
I've changed mine today & sprayed a dilute mix of essential oils (lavender & pine - friendly for animals) in water around their sleeping quarters/in the bedding. It makes it smell great. The bugs don't like the smell either.

hillfooter

« Reply #33 on: March 30, 2011, 10:21 »
I've changed mine today & sprayed a dilute mix of essential oils (lavender & pine - friendly for animals) in water around their sleeping quarters/in the bedding. It makes it smell great. The bugs don't like the smell either.

Help. That's two of you sprinkling pixie dust about then. 

If neither you nor the bugs, like it why do it? :blink:
HF
Truth through science.

wildwitchy

« Reply #34 on: March 30, 2011, 10:31 »
I didnt say I dont like it. Just the BUGS.  :D

Did you not know you heathen that witches pixie dust works???  :)

compostqueen

« Reply #35 on: March 30, 2011, 10:49 »
I pick up poo every day and empty the poo tray each day. It will soon be twice a day once the flies get going in earnest

The equine bedding available now absorbs wee and smells and is easily removed once wetted (if that's a word  :D) .  If the coop smells it wants cleaning

I do stick my head in, every day and sniff.  I like for my nose not to wrinkle and I'm sure my girls are the same  :)

dennis

• Experienced Member
« Reply #36 on: March 30, 2011, 13:00 »
lindeggs may give that one a go with the pine needles  :)

hillfooter

« Reply #37 on: March 30, 2011, 13:28 »
I didnt say I dont like it. Just the BUGS.  :D

Did you not know you heathen that witches pixie dust works???  :)

I don't like BUGS either ;)

Anyway if I didn't know how it worked I'd be an ignoramous or a skeptic.  If I was a heathern I wouldn't care I'd just as an article of faith believed it did! :happy:
HF

otis pony

• Experienced Member
« Reply #38 on: March 30, 2011, 16:57 »
My coop doesn't smell, I use featherbed bedding manufactured for horse stables, this breaks down as it gets wet and the girls love to scratch around in it.  The hen house is poo picked everyday.  Our girls are by the backdoor, and the patio slabs get a good scrub with jeyes fluid every day during the summer to keep flies at bay.  Sounds like a lot of work but its all down to routine - go for it!! :)
...............happiness is wanting what you have, not having what you want.................

Lindeggs

• A little Kiwi
« Reply #39 on: March 31, 2011, 00:01 »
lindeggs may give that one a go with the pine needles  :)

My pine needles are off the neighbour's discarded Christmas tree.  This year I'm going to ask everyone I know for their Christmas trees (once they've finished with them of course!) because I have been so pleased with the result in the coop.  Next time I will see if I can spread them around most of the run.

xx
chicken coops

Started by fastmonkey85 on The Hen House

5 Replies
Last post September 06, 2011, 10:08
by Dominic
xx
chicken coops

Started by Chablis Dog on The Hen House

12 Replies
Last post March 02, 2016, 20:42
by grinling
xx
chicken coops

Started by fastmonkey85 on The Hen House

3 Replies
Last post January 16, 2010, 17:35
by dizzylizzie
xx
Chicken Coops

Started by cwmddu on The Hen House

10 Replies
Last post June 13, 2016, 21:38
by GrannieAnnie

Page created in 0.263 seconds with 36 queries.