DIY plans for chicken houses and runs

• 6 Replies

cockofthenorth

DIY plans for chicken houses and runs
« on: March 24, 2011, 17:50 »
Hi
Does anyone know where I can find a good design for an easy to use diy chicken house. Also I'd like some advice on building a run specifically on whether it's necessary to bury the wire mesh to a certain depth to deter foxes.

arugula

• Winner - prettiest sunflower 2011
  • hic svnt leones
Re: DIY plans for chicken houses and runs
« Reply #1 on: March 24, 2011, 18:18 »
Hi cockofthenorth and welcome! :D I'll move this into the poultry area for the experts to see, but feel free to pop back into welcome to introduce yourself. :)
"They say a snow year's a good year" -- Rutherford.

bantam novice

« Reply #2 on: March 24, 2011, 19:48 »
Hello Cock of the North, and welcome to the wacky world of henaholics  :)

There have been several threads recently from people building their own hen coops and if you type something like "DIY hen coop plans" in the search box in the top right hand corner you should find plenty of information.

I'm sure some of the more experienced DIY enthusiasts will be along to respond.  If you do build your own we like to see pictures on this forum!  in the meantime good luck!

11 bantams (and counting!) 2 dogs 1 cat

Casey76

« Reply #3 on: March 25, 2011, 07:35 »
Good morning and welcome COTN :)

A member recently went through the process of designing and building his own coop.  You can read all about it here

There is also a nice simple design in the Haynes Chicken Manual which is very versetile and can by modified in several ways to suit your needs best, with a little bit of thought.

If you are going to have a fixed run, then there are some things you need to think about... if it's going to be on grass, there wont be much grass in it for long ;)  for a permanent run I would recommend about 3sqm per chicken with extra space for feeding and watering stations, dust baths and perches etc.  DEFRA recommend at least 1sqm per chicken, but the land will become fatigued very quickly if you keep them at that density for very long.  and, yes, burying the mesh down vertically for 12 ins and a further 6ins out wards at an angle will help to deter foxes diggin into the run.

Good luck :)

ANHBUC

• "You looking at me?!!!"
« Reply #4 on: March 25, 2011, 11:26 »
If you are going to have a fixed run, then there are some things you need to think about... if it's going to be on grass, there wont be much grass in it for long ;)  for a permanent run I would recommend about 3sqm per chicken with extra space for feeding and watering stations, dust baths and perches etc.  DEFRA recommend at least 1sqm per chicken, but the land will become fatigued very quickly if you keep them at that density for very long.  and, yes, burying the mesh down vertically for 12 ins and a further 6ins out wards at an angle will help to deter foxes diggin into the run.

[/quote]

I have a  ;)36 sq meters enclosure and only 6 hens, does that mean I can get another 6!    ;)
Ain't Nobody Here But Us Chickens!
Bagpuss RIP 1992 - June 2012, 1 huge grass carp (RIP "Jaws" July 2001 - December 2011), 4 golden orfe, 1 goldfish and 1 fantail fish (also huge)! plus 4 Italian quail, 1 Japanese quail, 1 Rosetta quail.

Casey76

« Reply #5 on: March 25, 2011, 11:53 »

I have a  ;)36 sq meters enclosure and only 6 hens, does that mean I can get another 6!    ;)
[/quote]

Not that I would want to encourage chicken collecting... hehe... but  would say you have a really nice space in which to add a couple more hens ;)

ANHBUC

• "You looking at me?!!!"
« Reply #6 on: March 25, 2011, 13:44 »
I am encouragable but the six I have are quite settled. I could be tempted if a couple of hens needed to be rehomed locally!  8)

xx
hen houses and runs from Cocoon - anybody experience with them?

Started by Neelam on The Hen House

4 Replies
Last post October 27, 2013, 17:06
by Mrs Bee
xx
chicken runs

Started by boolee on The Hen House

8 Replies
Last post April 08, 2012, 10:09
by Thrift
xx
Chicken Runs...

Started by Lewjam on The Hen House

20 Replies
Last post December 09, 2009, 12:54
by batcatz
xx
all about chicken runs

Started by will on The Hen House

1 Replies
Last post September 06, 2008, 14:46
by poultrygeist

Page created in 0.473 seconds with 37 queries.