Chicken Runs...

• 20 Replies

Big Bird

Re: Chicken Runs...
« Reply #15 on: December 08, 2009, 19:09 »
DizzieLizzie

So far so good but I understand what you are saying.  The girls are shut in every night and in the day time there is plenty of activity around us.  We live next door to the village school and our dog is outside most of the time.  But, I know it may be a question of when. not if but also reading lots of the discussions on this forum it seems no matter what you do, if a fox wants to, it will get in.

We have had them for just over three months now, they love the freedom of the garden and I don't want to shut them in, even in a large run.  Watching the way they run around chasing flies etc, pecking and scratching and exploring our only option is to fox proof the whole orchard which would be very expensive.

Electric fencing/netting is probably the way to go but it still seems very expensive.  In the last fifteen years we have lived here never seen a fox in the daytime anywhere near the garden,  but then again the chickens are a new attraction!!

dizzylizzie

« Reply #16 on: December 09, 2009, 06:43 »
hi, just wondered if you have read through the link below?People have had chickens taken infront of them, in broad daylight! one of mine was killed by a neighbours dog, i was within easy reach of the garden as was 2 of my sons, and we couldnt stop it.
http://chat.allotment-garden.org/index.php?topic=45437.0
You obviously feel you've got it covered, and im glad about that, but the best kept, most well loved birds have been lost to mr fox-you can never feel you are safe from him ;)

also you say the fox will get in no matter what....i disagree with that, but of course i cant prove it. omlet say there runs are fox proof, members on here have got electric fencing, and they have had foxes scale the perimeter, but the chickens are safe. my chickens are only in the garden if someone is there, but hoprfully their run is foxproof. we have used weldmesh, dug it down about a ft and a half, and it has a weldmesh skirt just under the grass, it has proper bolts on the doors and a weldmesh roof. you can never be relaxed with a fox around!
« Last Edit: December 09, 2009, 07:48 by dizzylizzie »

SMD66

• sunrise over the canal
« Reply #17 on: December 09, 2009, 07:38 »
birds with not much space may also develop problems like feather pecking and the ground will get a build up of parasites over time.  It really annoys me that these type pens are sold for even 2 birds.  The manufacturers are just cashing in on the fact that hen keeping in the garden is becoming so popular.  Even on this forum how many times has this question of space come up?  Especially linked to that particular hen house.  It just encourages 1st time hen keepers to spend their money then have problems in the future.  Makes my blood boil  :mad:
Music self played is pleasure self made
Samantha :)

Elcie

« Reply #18 on: December 09, 2009, 08:47 »
We have an Eglu with 3 hens.  When we initially got them they stayed in the run until the late afternoon when they were let out and freeranged around the garden.  Once winter came with the dark afternoons this then became a problem as they were not getting out at all - the run is just too small for them all of the time, the same as the one in the picture is too small and probably only suitable for one bird space wise.

We had a long chat as a family and decided that we would let the chickens free range in the garden all the time, even when we are out at work.  This decision wasn't taken easily, and we are aware of the risks.  But we decided that their quality of life has improved so much that it is offset against the risk of them being outside.  One month in and there have been no problems yet, other than the neighbour having to put Daisy back over into our garden every now and again!  I leave the greenhouse open and they go in there when it is really wet.

Each person has to make the decision that they believe is best for their hens.  The only thing to be sure of is that the runs, like that stated at the beginning, is too small for more than one hen or two bantams.  Companies like the one selling it, and Omlet to a certain extent get away with selling these by stating 'suitable for up to 5 hens' etc.  It is only when you read the small print that you become aware of the fact that yes, the coop is suitable for that number, but the enclosed run isn't.

too many girls

« Reply #19 on: December 09, 2009, 09:57 »
we have foxes, i have lost hens to them, the cowshed girls were taken in bulk one sunny afternoon last year :( i moved them all nearer the house, since then we have lost 8, Hurley, Boone, Sawyer, Peetree and 4 brown hens (the dog got Kate) i tried to pen them up in the garden (big garden) but the ex barns were so miserable i let them out again, now i have to take the attitude that if a fox takes one now and again randomly it's the price paid for the others having complete freedom, i do worry about my favourites and have been known to retrieve a hen straying too far on the quad bike, i think if i'd known what was going to happen i'd have penned them up from the start, but with them used to having 30 acres to roam in, they are unhappy being penned up now.
only you know whats best for your hens, i have 104 so losing 8 in a year of freeranging isn't really that bad, i just wish Mr fox would pick out the surpless cockerals rather than my layers :(

batcatz

« Reply #20 on: December 09, 2009, 12:54 »
It just encourages 1st time hen keepers to spend their money then have problems in the future.  Makes my blood boil  :mad:
I do agree.  Bought mine in Aug.  Knew nothing about chickens. 
Now know lots about chickens, bought 2 more in Oct. 

Now, I've spent a couple of hundred on wood, weldmesh, tools etc so I can remove the too small attached run and build a new walk in run!  It would have saved money to buy a walk in run and large coop first, but in August when I first read lots of forums about this I still went ahead with the small coop from ebay!  The coop will be handy as an integration area, or nursery, or hospital pen in the future if it lasts!

Wish I knew how to stop new chicken keepers making this mistake though!

xx
Chicken has the runs...

Started by Boxfanman on The Hen House

9 Replies
Last post July 20, 2008, 23:53
by Boxfanman
xx
chicken runs

Started by boolee on The Hen House

8 Replies
Last post April 08, 2012, 10:09
by Thrift
xx
all about chicken runs

Started by will on The Hen House

1 Replies
Last post September 06, 2008, 14:46
by poultrygeist
xx
chicken runs

Started by will on The Hen House

11 Replies
Last post August 16, 2008, 17:01
by will

Page created in 0.326 seconds with 29 queries.