help mixing different breeds.

• 7 Replies

dill bayly

« on: August 17, 2007, 20:57 »
hi, im new to this wonderful site and already have 3 blue comet hens, however, having got the bug i would like to add more chickens of a different breed to my flock. any suggestion and/or ideas would be appreciated.

richyrich7

• Paper Potter
    • My home business Egg box labels and more
« Reply #1 on: August 17, 2007, 21:01 »
Hiya dill bayly welcome to the forum, can't help you with the breed thingy I'm afraid, but we have plenty of experienced poultry keepers on here so replys will follow  :wink:

He who asks is a fool for five minutes, but he who does not ask remains a fool forever.

GrannieAnnie

• Grandmother of the Forums
« Reply #2 on: August 17, 2007, 21:28 »
I know lots of people who have mixed breeds living together.  In fact we are getting 2 different breeds on Monday who are used to being together anyway.

I think they are okay as long as you get them used to each other first.

Foxy

« Reply #3 on: August 17, 2007, 21:29 »
Welcome to the forum!
 :lol:  :lol:

Are blue comets hybrids? I have never heard of them-they sound interesting though.There are lots of different breeds to choose from. a couple of things to think about are age of your birds, it can be tricky mixing birds of different ages. Also, how many extra birds are you thinking of? Always better to add at least 2 to an existing flock to minimise bullying. What do you have birds for? Eggs or something pleasurable to look at in the garden? Or both!! :lol:  :lol:
We all here have our favourite breeds so be prepared!! As a general rule soft feather birds such as Orpingtons/Faverolles/Cochins and Brahmas tend to be quite placid.

dill bayly

« Reply #4 on: August 17, 2007, 21:41 »
hi everybody, wow so quick to reply, nothing on tellyjavascript:emoticon(':o')
Surprised i think my chooks are hybrids and kept soley for eggs. i got them from the domestic fowl trust after visiting a country show in romsey. they are  about 1 year old now.

muntjac

« Reply #5 on: August 17, 2007, 23:14 »
get ur new birds and have em enclosed seperatly for a few days and then you can let them roam together
still alive /............

babe

• elvis king of chooks
« Reply #6 on: August 18, 2007, 09:39 »
hi, i have warrens, game bantams,japanese frizzles, polands, silkies and ayelsbury ducks. all free ranging together.

and as yet ive never had any problems, they all gather around together at treat times. but i am extremely sad and spend alot of time in their garden watching them and talking to them.

if i buy a new chicken i always put them in a separate small run and house in the middle of the garden for a few days before letting them out and so far it seems to have worked for me.

hope that helps. love k

dill bayly

« Reply #7 on: August 18, 2007, 21:23 »
thank you everybody for the useful advice. i will get some more and introduce gradually.

xx
Mixing breeds

Started by Robert_S on The Hen House

5 Replies
Last post January 18, 2012, 17:31
by ANHBUC
xx
Mixing Breeds

Started by BJinNC on The Hen House

4 Replies
Last post December 28, 2008, 21:04
by blulagoo
xx
mixing breeds

Started by daisy1990 on The Hen House

9 Replies
Last post June 11, 2010, 20:15
by joyfull
xx
Help on mixing chicken breeds

Started by robbiechick on The Hen House

23 Replies
Last post January 03, 2009, 23:07
by Vember

Page created in 0.243 seconds with 27 queries.