Help on mixing chicken breeds

• 23 Replies

robbiechick

« on: December 21, 2008, 20:56 »
im all set up ready for my first ever chicks.  They have a 70foot by 10 foot run.  Can i mix the breeds ?. I was thinking of maybe 4 chickens. Are light sussex and warrens ok together ? Or can i have 4 seperate breeds.

can anyone help me

Kate and her Ducks

« Reply #1 on: December 21, 2008, 21:01 »
Think you can mix what ever you want :lol:
Be like a duck. Calm on the surface but always paddling like the dickens underneath.

Evansent

• Experienced Member
« Reply #2 on: December 21, 2008, 21:09 »
I have  a warren, a black rock, a black star, an amberlink, a speckledy and a columbine x and they all get along fine, although they were all raised by the breeder together from young chicks.  Don't know if this makes a difference, someone with more experience will be along soon, i'm sure.

C X
It's not the years that age you, it's the weekends!!!

Vember

« Reply #3 on: December 21, 2008, 21:12 »
Hi RC

Welcome to the Hen House :D

As Kate said mixing is fine :)
Some people here have a mix that gives a different colour eggs i.e a Maran for a brown egg, a leghorn for white, a sussex for pale pinky and a araucana for blue :D
Looks nice in the nest box I would imagine :)

Personally I have leghorns, buff orpingtons, sussex, barnevelders and a silkie - oh and not forgetting all the ducks & geese :lol:

Sarah :D

Foxy

« Reply #4 on: December 21, 2008, 21:12 »
Agree with Kate! :D

Depends what you are getting chooks for eggs, meat, a pretty bird, friendly,fluffy, with topnots, frizzled, large or tiny....... :D  :D

The only thing to watch out for is mixing youngsters with old uns as they may get picked on a little. Some breeds tend to get more bullied in a mixed flock birds like faverolles, cochins and brahmas (all heavy soft feather) may get bullied in a mixed flock flock as they are quite docile by nature.

matilda duck

« Reply #5 on: December 21, 2008, 22:03 »
Hi and welcome!!!

I'm a mix and match kinda girl....we have sussex, isa, black rock, copper black,magpie, and 3 ducks!!!!   No problem......I find it nice as i can always tell who laid by the eggies.... :lol:  :lol:

Also it helps you to decide which is your fav type, otherwise how do you learn whats right for you??????

ENJOY.......just remember 1/2hour is only 5mins when watching hens :lol:  :lol:  :lol:  :lol:

Foxy

« Reply #6 on: December 21, 2008, 22:28 »
Quote from: "matilda duck"
Hi and welcome!!!

ENJOY.......just remember 1/2hour is only 5mins when watching hens :lol:  :lol:  :lol:  :lol:

That explains why I am always late for work in the morning!!! :lol:  :lol:

kitkat

• Experienced Member
« Reply #7 on: December 22, 2008, 08:18 »
My Brahmas and frizzles are my fav, the Brahmas though are so nervous,but they were 4 years old when i got them in the summer. My red frizzle is sweet but always going broody on me, even in winter. The sussex and [pretending] Marans[beige eggs] lay the best.
          Kitkat
We have 17 chickens, 3 quail, 2 dogs, 3 cats and that's enough (for this week)

ceri green

• Experienced Member
« Reply #8 on: December 22, 2008, 19:40 »
theres so many breeds that i like.....so i've got one each of: white leghorn, black leghorn, light susex, rhode island red, welsummer, barred plymouth rock, bluebelle, blue fenton cockerel and 2 warrens (they are the tamest and friendliest i have to say!)
makes it much easier to tell them apart for one thing!
previous to this i had marans, orpingtons (they tended to get picked on tho) and brahmas - lovely birds.

so basically i think you can mix and match more or less anything

robbiechick

« Reply #9 on: December 24, 2008, 21:33 »
Thanks to everyone who replied to me :D i think i will get 3 or 4 warrens
they seem to be good egg layers and are really friendly so ive read.
I'm going to wait until feb to get them when the weather is a bit better,so for now i'll have to keep looking at my empty chicken coop. I decided on the names ages ago after reading the book twilight, Bella , Alice, Esme and Rosalie i know thats a bit sad, has anybody been to see the film yet?

Have a great Christmas :)

RC

robbiechick

« Reply #10 on: December 29, 2008, 18:33 »
:D so much for waiting until feb to get my chickens i went out yesterday to a garden centre to look what they had in the  Christmas decoration sale and came back with 3 light sussex  chickens not in the sale very expensive but beautiful. i let them out today and its like ive always had them.Last night i sat outside on a deckchair just looking at them all snuggled up together in the straw.I ve waited 20 years for this and still cant believe ive got them. Tonight they just went in on there own and are all snuggled  up together.they are used to noise and children with them being in the pet shop so they are not timed atall.Its funny how you can get attached so quickly cant wait to get to know them.My 5 dogs dont seem botherd atall by them but i would never take a chance and mix them.Im just going outside again in the cold and frost to look at them. :D  :D  :D

Kate and her Ducks

« Reply #11 on: December 29, 2008, 18:43 »
Welcome to the disease!

You make plans, you're sensible and then you fall in love with something completely different! You will not stop at three!!! :lol:

Missy

« Reply #12 on: December 29, 2008, 19:34 »
I too am new to this and got mine on Saturday.  They are great fun, I just wish I could sit and watch them all day and night (although I am sure that novelty will soon wear off).  Is it just me, or does anyone else feel guilty leaving them out in the cold and dark all alone in a new home with new roomies!!!! (Probably just me then  :lol: )

Foxy

« Reply #13 on: December 29, 2008, 19:54 »
Quote from: "robbiechick"
:D so much for waiting until feb to get my chickens i went out yesterday to a garden centre to look what they had in the  Christmas decoration sale and came back with 3 light sussex  chickens not in the sale very expensive but beautiful. i let them out today and its like ive always had them.Last night i sat outside on a deckchair just looking at them all snuggled up together in the straw.I ve waited 20 years for this and still cant believe ive got them. Tonight they just went in on there own and are all snuggled  up together.they are used to noise and children with them being in the pet shop so they are not timed atall.Its funny how you can get attached so quickly cant wait to get to know them.My 5 dogs dont seem botherd atall by them but i would never take a chance and mix them.Im just going outside again in the cold and frost to look at them. :D  :D  :D

now thats all well and good -but photos please!!! :lol:  :lol:  :lol:

robbiechick

« Reply #14 on: December 29, 2008, 20:37 »
:roll:  just trying to suss out how to put the pics ive taken today on here.
I also had another new member to the family Edward you should have seen my husbands face when i walked in with him under my arm,there again nothing suprises him anymore saturday a reindeer sunday chickens.Yes Lisa i do feel sorry for them in the cold i was thinking of getting one of those things that you can get for rabbits that you put in the microwave to warm up and it stays warm for 8 hours but then i thought get real my rabbit and guineapig are in the garage theyve been in there for 6 years and there ok, i think its just like every other pet you have you always worry about them to begin with.What breed of chickens did you get Lisa.

xx
mixing breeds

Started by daisy1990 on The Hen House

9 Replies
Last post June 11, 2010, 20:15
by joyfull
xx
help mixing different breeds.

Started by dill bayly on The Hen House

7 Replies
Last post August 18, 2007, 21:23
by dill bayly
xx
Mixing Breeds

Started by BJinNC on The Hen House

4 Replies
Last post December 28, 2008, 21:04
by blulagoo
xx
Mixing breeds

Started by Robert_S on The Hen House

5 Replies
Last post January 18, 2012, 17:31
by ANHBUC

Page created in 0.502 seconds with 36 queries.