We have lift off!

• 7 Replies

KathyH

• Experienced Member
We have lift off!
« on: August 17, 2007, 13:33 »
Well its been three weeks since we got our POL chooks and this afternoon we have our first egg!
Hubby (Chris) has been fitting a timer controlled (home invented!) hen house door opener (a mad device made from an old land rover windscreen wiper motor and lots of pulleys - don't ask!!) and Henna the Goldline got all antsy with him today. She had been friendly and curious with him yesterday but today she obviously didn't want him fiddling about with the coop! So he got the hint and left the run and she went straight into the coop and was in there for about 45 mins.
Result one small brown egg! It weighed just 43g but as this is her first ever egg I suppose they will get bigger as she develops.

We are now watching the others to see who is next! :D

Oh yes and the timed door opener worked this morning too! This afternoon it gets some kind of locking device (anti fox) that involves a long metal spike and a solenoid and... and ... :roll:  er... dunno!
Kathy H

GrannieAnnie

• Grandmother of the Forums
We have lift off!
« Reply #1 on: August 17, 2007, 13:35 »
There's nothing like your very first egg!  I remember mine well!!!!  And yes kathy, they do get bigger!!!!

KathyH

• Experienced Member
We have lift off!
« Reply #2 on: August 17, 2007, 13:37 »
I guess its daft to be this exited  :lol:
WE have been debating having chooks for ages and ages and then there was all the faff of getting the setup right - and all for three little hens! Still this does feel like a big moment :D

richyrich7

• Paper Potter
    • My home business Egg box labels and more
We have lift off!
« Reply #3 on: August 17, 2007, 13:49 »
Congrats on the egg !

Can you post some piccys of chris's auto pop hole opener ? I'm sure it would be of interest.  Unless of course he's got patent pending on it  :wink:
He who asks is a fool for five minutes, but he who does not ask remains a fool forever.

Aunt Sally

• Administrator
  • Everyone's Aunty
We have lift off!
« Reply #4 on: August 17, 2007, 16:51 »
Well done Henna   8)

KathyH

• Experienced Member
We have lift off!
« Reply #5 on: August 17, 2007, 17:16 »
I will get Chris to post a technical description as soon as he has perfected his "Hen Door Defence Mechanism" which is being tinkered with as I type!

Henna is ridiculously pleased with herself and has been pushing the others around all afternoon - as well as stuffing herself with food! Tiring work becoming a real hen!

chickychick

• Experienced Member
door opener OOOOOO!
« Reply #6 on: August 17, 2007, 17:57 »
congratulations an egg!!!

bet thats a great feeling

we are still constructing our hen house and run so I know what you meen about all the fuss that you go through, I keep saying to myself do I really want these chickens this much cause its a heck of a lot of fuss?? I still am not entirely sure why I want em so much I just do??!!

I am keen to know more about the automatic door opener if you fancy giving me some info, I have a partner who is good with cars and things like that so he would probably have a bash at it  :D
ok so I know its a daft question but Im cute ......

KathyH

• Experienced Member
We have lift off!
« Reply #7 on: August 17, 2007, 18:26 »
Technical enquiries will be answered by the mad inventor - oops I mean creative genius  -  when he finally emerges victorious from the workshop!
This job has had need of many springs, pulleys, bits of wire and the rest! All good recycling I am sure!
I will post on a new topic heading when we do.

Page created in 0.315 seconds with 36 queries.