Best soil/feed for onions.

• 23 Replies

JohnB47

Best soil/feed for onions.
« on: February 21, 2011, 22:23 »
Last year I had fairly good success with over-wintering onions but failed (again) in my second attempt to grow 'main crop' ones - i.e. from sets planted in spring (Setton, Sturon, Red Baron).

This year I'm going to try Stuttgarter Giant, not because I think going for a 'giant' variety will be more successful but 'cos the guy next to me had a successful crop of them with, he says, no special treatment. I'm thinking that perhaps that type likes the type of soil we both have.

But to give me the best chance this year, what tips can anyone offer? Any ideas about special soil preparation, or good things to feed them with? I've used chicken pellets before but I'm wondering about Growmore - which I can get fairly cheaply. What fertiliser ingredients do onions really like anyway - is it potash?

Thanks.

JohnB47

Re: Best soil/feed for onions.
« Reply #1 on: February 21, 2011, 22:45 »
Now I'm going to start talking to myself! I went a-Googling and came across this:

http://www.nvsuk.org.uk/growing_show_vegetables_1/fertilisers.php

Having read it quickly, I'm thinking that a bit of growmore during the growing season and then a liquid feed of comfrey tea at the bulb formation stage might be a good plan of action.

Any thoughts?

Old Tom

• Experienced Member
« Reply #2 on: February 22, 2011, 06:02 »
Hi John,

I`m going to join you on this one. After last years dismal showing, all I had to show was a handfull of slightly large spring onions instead of the tennis ball size ones that I`d expected. Mind you this is only my second year and the ground has had a good layer of compost over winter. With a proper feed this year we should both be smiling by harvest time.

See you,

Paul.
I can remember when it were all fields round `ere.

JayG

• Global Moderator
« Reply #3 on: February 22, 2011, 10:02 »
It took five years of growing somewhat disappointing crops for the penny to drop that light sandy soils tend to lose their nutrients quickly (especially in the top 6-9" of soil where most seasonal veg have their roots.)

I do my best to help by adding as much compost as I can make but I still have to resort to additional feeding for just about everything.

It makes a huge difference; veg have a lot of growing to do in a relatively short space of time and are easily starved in soils like mine.
Sow your seeds, plant your plants. What's the difference? A couple of weeks or more when answering possible queries!

One of the best things about being an orang-utan is the fact that you don't lose your good looks as you get older

potatogrower

• Experienced Member
« Reply #4 on: February 22, 2011, 11:30 »
I haven't had a good growing success with red barons but i have started to grow white onions this year.  The technique i use this time is to not push them too deep into the ground, as i believe the hard soil i have hinders their growth. secondly, i am also using growmore fertilizer this year, quite smelly stuff but i only used a sprinkle of it over each row possibly every month or 2.

lets see what happens  :happy:

JayG

• Global Moderator
« Reply #5 on: February 22, 2011, 11:39 »
i am also using growmore fertilizer this year, quite smelly stuff but i only used a sprinkle of it over each row possibly every month or 2.

lets see what happens  :happy:

Are you sure you don't mean pelleted chicken manure?

Growmore is an inorganic fertiliser and has virtually no smell at all! 

(Both are good general purpose fertilisers though.)

DD.

• Global Moderator
  • Location: Loughborough. a/k/a Digger Dave. Prettiest Pumpkin prizewinner 2011
  • Pea God & Founder Member of The NFGG
« Reply #6 on: February 22, 2011, 11:41 »
Beat me to it JayG!
Did it really tell you to do THAT on the packet?

JohnB47

« Reply #7 on: February 23, 2011, 14:28 »
Thanks all.

It's little comfort that others are having problems growing onions too. Must remember to reply on this thread, with this years results, in the Autumn.

'Til then, does anyone have any views on a reliable red onion i.e. one more likely to produce a reasonable size? Red Barron seems very common but I've had no success with it yet and perhaps there are other varieties that people find do well. Just trying to shorten the learning curve a bit.

Cheers.

Jonajo

• Experienced Member
« Reply #8 on: February 24, 2011, 17:57 »
last year I added FBB to all of my onions (red and white ones) a few times during the growing season, kept the weeds down and watered well. And for the first time I got a very good yield and each was of a good size.
"Set down the wine and the dice and perish the thought of tomorrow"

Fisherman

« Reply #9 on: February 24, 2011, 18:59 »
Hi JohnB47
I have grown onion set Hyred for the last couple of years with good success. However I don't think your problem will be the type of onion but more likely your ground conditions. Add plenty of compost and keep the ground moist in dry conditions. FBB is the only fertiliser that I use although I do manure the ground heavily but not for the onions but for the previous seasons crop (if you know what I mean).

Good Luck

fatcat1955

« Reply #10 on: February 24, 2011, 18:59 »
And do NOT push them in the ground. The basal plates and roots will be damaged which means they take time to grow new roots. Dig a hole with a trowel and place them in.

fatcat1955

« Reply #11 on: February 24, 2011, 19:03 »
Try mammoth red, i get mine from Van Hages (own brand) .

Hobnails

• Experienced Member
« Reply #12 on: February 25, 2011, 17:35 »
I had good results from Southport Red Globe, but little success with Red Baron.
I have a shallow topsoil so grow them on flattened ridges to give a better depth and use wood ashes and a sprinkling of Growmore during the early summer.
Have to watch the wood ashes as it does tend to raise the ph.
Little by little a bird makes its nest!

JohnB47

« Reply #13 on: February 25, 2011, 18:17 »
Thanks everyone. All useful info.

I've tried searching for the various red onions mentioned but can't find any sets except for Red Baron and Electric. Seems that only seeds are available and that means I'm probably too late to start them this year. I've heard that the best time is to sow onion seeds is on Christmas day or at least very early in the year, in a warm environment. Am I really too late for trying onions from seed?

Also, does anyone know if sets are available for red onions other than the two I've mentioned?

Thanks.

Fisherman

« Reply #14 on: February 25, 2011, 19:48 »
Yes onion sets are still available. Mine are on order online and wont be delivered until late March / early April (heat treated type but not necessary). The larger garden centre's like Wyevale have them in stock now.

xx
What compost / manure to help feed and break up my clay soil?

Started by jsgreen89 on Grow Your Own

5 Replies
Last post May 06, 2010, 13:13
by mumofstig
xx
what to feed onions and garlic

Started by chickpeacurry on Grow Your Own

6 Replies
Last post February 14, 2014, 18:45
by chickpeacurry
xx
Should I feed my garlic and onions

Started by RookieJim on Grow Your Own

15 Replies
Last post January 13, 2013, 17:54
by Hamani
xx
When should I feed overwintering onions?

Started by jazzbyrd on Grow Your Own

17 Replies
Last post February 26, 2012, 20:06
by leeks r us

Page created in 0.534 seconds with 30 queries.