What compost / manure to help feed and break up my clay soil?

• 5 Replies

jsgreen89

I just started digging some beds and trenches in my new allotment the other day, and the soil certainly seems to have a lot of clay in it. When I dig in with the spade, more often than not I have to slide the mud off the spade with my boot.. I'm aware that I need to mix in some compost to help provide feed for my future plants, but I was also hoping that would help break up the soil a bit and reduce the "stickyness".

So if I want to start planting (runner beans, some fruit bushes, and maybe some root vegetables), should I be mixing in compost to try and break up the soil and make it easier to work with?

If so, which type of compost should I use? I'm baffled by the range available at the local garden centre!  :blink:

synchris

I inhereted a garden that was grey clay - good enough to make pots with.  I made 12 raised beds and dug out one spade depth of the clay. (It came out in foot square blocks which I stacked in the wheelbarrow) Then dug over the bottom and overwintered it spread with Vitax Claybreaker.  It worked wonders, plus lots of sharp sand and old grobags.  It is now producing good veg including onions and superb garlic.

synchris

I have just read my reply - wow - I didn't make 12 raised beds, I made 12 inch rasied beds. :)

GreenOwl

Anything cheap because the more the better.

The best stuff is of course horse manure but any organic matter will help.  Last years growbags, spent mushroom compost whatever you can find, beg, borrow (although they won't get it back :D)

Sharp (not builders) sand will help but organic matter has nutrients, sand just improves the drainage.

Good luck.

peterjf

put in stuff that breaks down fast and improves soil , maybe green manure , sharp sand , animal manure, spent mushroom compost ,

plant plenty of spuds too , might be a bit late for spuds ,

mumofstig

• Global Moderator
Manure always helps but also check the ph and see if it needs lime because this helps break up clay.

also, the actual process of digging and general cultivation will improve the soil structure :)

xx
Question regarding overwintering green manure and clay soil

Started by al78 on Grow Your Own

13 Replies
Last post April 08, 2014, 23:42
by Jackypam
xx
How do I break soil down to a fine tilth? Mantis?

Started by brownp on Grow Your Own

18 Replies
Last post May 01, 2010, 07:50
by hunlom
xx
hello & clay soil

Started by colonel mustard on Grow Your Own

7 Replies
Last post June 16, 2011, 22:35
by Kajazy
xx
help with very wet clay soil

Started by criostoirmac on Grow Your Own

15 Replies
Last post December 15, 2017, 19:20
by criostoirmac

Page created in 0.475 seconds with 29 queries.