caterpillars already! I give up!

• 11 Replies

Nicki85

• Experienced Member
caterpillars already! I give up!
« on: March 04, 2011, 09:28 »
Looking over some of my over-wintering kale and what do I see??  A cabbage white caterpillar!!!  I had so much trouble with these last year and dutifully picked, killed and left out for the robin every one I found.

And now they are back!

Think I will concentrate my brassica growing at the allotment and make sure everything is netted from the outset!

Grrrrrrrr

billathome65

• Experienced Member
Re: caterpillars already! I give up!
« Reply #1 on: March 04, 2011, 09:55 »
As this is the first year I will be growing veg in a small area I am paranoid about things not growing. This club root thingy and the slugs birds caterpillars etc. so I bought a load of netting which will be going all over the plot so I don't "LOOSE THE PLOT"  :D :D :D

good luck
The best way to learn to do something is to do something.

Nicki85

• Experienced Member
« Reply #2 on: March 04, 2011, 10:13 »
Last year was my first year to, I only had my garden and dug some of the lawn up to make a couple of raised beds.  I soon found out that EVERYTHING wanted a mouthful of my crops!  It was a nightmare, I lost plants to cabbage root fly then to flea beetle then to pigeons and then to caterpillars!  I've learnt my lesson, if in doubt net it! Good luck with yours to!

DD.

• Global Moderator
  • Location: Loughborough. a/k/a Digger Dave. Prettiest Pumpkin prizewinner 2011
  • Pea God & Founder Member of The NFGG
« Reply #3 on: March 04, 2011, 10:38 »
I wouldn't worry about club root where you're growing, Bill. I suspect it's probably never even seen a brassica!
Did it really tell you to do THAT on the packet?

Ma and Pa Snip

« Reply #4 on: March 04, 2011, 11:16 »
I wouldn't worry about club root where you're growing, Bill. I suspect it's probably never even seen a brassica!

Might have seen some wallflowers though DD, I assume club root on wallflower would affect the ground for brassica's, yes /no ?
Unless otherwise stated it can be assumed ALL posts are by Pa Snip

8doubles

« Reply #5 on: March 04, 2011, 11:26 »
Strange time of year for a CW caterpillar, i thought they mostly overwintered as pupae or adults.
It may have been a paracitised caterpillar who was too heavly infested to make it off the plant and if you squished it you may have killed a dozen potential caterpillar killers. :ohmy:

Ain`t nature wunerful !  :D

Ma and Pa Snip

« Reply #6 on: March 04, 2011, 11:34 »
Crikey, CID caterpillars   (caterpillars in disguise). Life gets more and more confusing  :D

DD.

• Global Moderator
  • Location: Loughborough. a/k/a Digger Dave. Prettiest Pumpkin prizewinner 2011
  • Pea God & Founder Member of The NFGG
« Reply #7 on: March 04, 2011, 11:37 »

Might have seen some wallflowers though DD, I assume club root on wallflower would affect the ground for brassica's, yes /no ?

Very doubtful though, isn't it? You tend not to get clubroot where only flowers have been grown. Wallflowers can keep it going though.

I think you're looking at the very, very worse case scenario there and if we all did that, you'd never grow a darn thing.

Ma and Pa Snip

« Reply #8 on: March 04, 2011, 11:52 »

Very doubtful though, isn't it? You tend not to get clubroot where only flowers have been grown. Wallflowers can keep it going though.

I think you're looking at the very, very worse case scenario there and if we all did that, you'd never grow a darn thing.

Yes I agree it's doubtful. But I did wonder if it were possible.

And a big yes, if we looked on the worst case scenario we'd probably all have paved gardens, and no allotments, with nothing for caterpillers to thrive on  :D

Nicki85

• Experienced Member
« Reply #9 on: March 04, 2011, 11:56 »
I think the eggs can survive over winter and we have had a bit of warm weather recently which may have led to them hatching... only spotted the one though!

Goosegirl

« Reply #10 on: March 04, 2011, 15:20 »
Hate to say this, but are you sure it was an caterpillar and not a vine weevil...? Send us a pic, please.
I work very hard so don't expect me to think as well.

Nicki85

• Experienced Member
« Reply #11 on: March 04, 2011, 15:49 »
It's squished and dead and most def. a caterpillar!  Green, long and squidgy and had eaten half the leaf it was on. 

We have evil vine weevils to so pretty used to the two of em.  :lol:

xx
first caterpillars

Started by goodegg on Grow Your Own

0 Replies
Last post June 07, 2010, 17:44
by goodegg
xx
Caterpillars on psb

Started by Benny130 on Grow Your Own

5 Replies
Last post August 28, 2015, 17:31
by Benny130
xx
Caterpillars

Started by rainie on Grow Your Own

3 Replies
Last post January 27, 2011, 16:53
by savbo
xx
Caterpillars!!!

Started by Scribbler on Grow Your Own

0 Replies
Last post August 11, 2008, 14:31
by Scribbler

Page created in 0.832 seconds with 30 queries.