Are Allotments No-Go For People With Dodgy Backs?

• 22 Replies

erainn

• Experienced Member
Are Allotments No-Go For People With Dodgy Backs?
« on: February 19, 2011, 14:18 »
What's people's thoughts on people with 'dodgy' backs taking on an allotment?

Experiences, advice, very welcome

mumofstig

• Global Moderator
Re: Are Allotments No-Go For People With Dodgy Backs?
« Reply #1 on: February 19, 2011, 14:29 »
I have a dodgy back, so any work is done in small doses, rather than working for hours at a time and my back copes ok
I only have a quarter size allotment though, I don't think I could manage a full size plot without help :(

Aunt Sally

• Administrator
  • Everyone's Aunty
« Reply #2 on: February 19, 2011, 14:30 »
Access for dissabled gardeners is something that all allotment authorities should have in mind and be working towards.

Raised beds, wheelchair access etc.  All these things unfortunately cost money, which many councils are short of.

Someone with a dodgey back (me included) can usually find good ways of doing things.

No dig, long handled tools, seated gardening, lots of cups of tea - there should be no reason to give up gardening because of a bad back.

« Last Edit: February 19, 2011, 14:31 by Aunt Sally »

AndyRVTR

« Reply #3 on: February 19, 2011, 14:40 »
Dodgy in what way??... slipped disck, sciatica, poor posture, weak muscles... it really depends on what affects you bending..

Ma and Pa Snip

« Reply #4 on: February 19, 2011, 14:40 »
As a 'bad back' sufferer the answer I would give is,

People sitting at a PC on the web can't know any one else's limitations so therefore can't say anyone should do this or that to avoid aggravating an existing problem.

Allotments can be hard work, especially ones  that have just been taken over, work within your own limits and don't try to overdo it.
Unless otherwise stated it can be assumed ALL posts are by Pa Snip

JayG

• Global Moderator
« Reply #5 on: February 19, 2011, 14:46 »
You mean you know someone who hasn't got a dodgy back?!!   :ohmy:

Seriously, there are many causes of back trouble (sometimes more than one cause per body.  :()

Some back pain can actually be improved by some sensible gardening activity; use the right tools and techniques and don't overdo it (I've read that the majority of back pain after gardening, especially digging, is caused by slumping into a soft armchair afterwards rather than "warming down" with a few stretches.)

If in doubt, stop, if really in doubt about whether to do it at all, discuss it with your doctor first.
Sow your seeds, plant your plants. What's the difference? A couple of weeks or more when answering possible queries!

One of the best things about being an orang-utan is the fact that you don't lose your good looks as you get older

erainn

• Experienced Member
« Reply #6 on: February 19, 2011, 14:55 »
Thanks to all for your helpful advice/insights, guess 'steady as she goes' is a good motto, that and breaks between digging. As someone who has had sciatica in the past, and still gets the odd spasm,  the thought of double digging is making twinge already. but with what I've been told is only a foot or so of soild above clay, options seem limited to improve the soil.

Kristen

• K's Garden blog
« Reply #7 on: February 19, 2011, 15:06 »
Well ... you could have a paid gardener :) or someone / friend / young relation etc who could get it initially sorted out for you.

Adopting a No Dig approach would remove most of the physical labour involved (thereafter).
« Last Edit: February 19, 2011, 15:51 by Kristen »

muckshifter

• Experienced Member
« Reply #8 on: February 19, 2011, 16:16 »
I had a spinal fusion op a few years back (3 collapsed discs) this limits how much I can bend,lift,carry etc.
Since having this done I have taken on 2 overgrown plots and tamed them.
My essentials are.Backsaver Spade.Rotavator and wheelbarrow,in my opinion these take care of the jobs that would damage me further.
I WILL NOT let what has happened to my back rule my life and have adapted the way I do things, and as Sir Winston Churchill said "keep B****ing on.  :D

Comfortably Numb

• Experienced Member
    • Dung Beetle's Allotment Plots
« Reply #9 on: February 19, 2011, 16:41 »
I too use a Backsaver Spade. Worth it's weight in gold  :)
I bought mine from http://www.fredshed.co.uk/alternativediggingtools.htm

Once you get the nack of using it, you can cover a lot of ground in a short time. All without bending and lifting  :)

I've also got myself a compression waist support which has helped enormously.
Cheers, Comfortably Numb.

I'm just off down the greenhouse. I won't be long ..........................

Gravedigger

« Reply #10 on: February 19, 2011, 17:02 »
Hi

I am currently recovering from spinal surgery and waiting for another op...orders from consultant are NO DIGGING AT ALL! (quite difficult as it's my job)  :)

However have taken on an allotment and OH is making raised beds so I won't need to and digging out weeds/making drains etc. while I helpfully point out how to do it :)

I think slow and steady wins the day.  You can do a little, often, and still manage to enjoy a productive plot...good luck

Ma and Pa Snip

« Reply #11 on: February 19, 2011, 17:25 »
I had  an orange Terrex spade years ago, I gave up with it and went back to using a long handle one.

I also have a waist support, although fortunately I havent had to use it for years as i now pace myself more carefully. But its there if I need it (wherever there is, cos i'm dammed if I can remember  :D )

kari

« Reply #12 on: February 19, 2011, 18:04 »
Another with a dodgy back (plus shoulder & pelvis) hubby is helping me to get the groundwork done & put in the raised beds, then I can do all the fun stuff  :D

I will have to ask for help from time to time with the heavier jobs

I think you just need to know your limits, only you can say how much you can & cannot do & when it comes to the things you cant do, enlist a friend, or maybe even pay for some help, there are lots of people looking for part time gardening work at the moment

New to gardening & growing my own, its a very steep learning curve!

iggyboy60

• Experienced Member
« Reply #13 on: February 19, 2011, 20:26 »
The dodgy back syndrome is a world wide problem. There are so many different kinds of complaint with backs and mine is one of many. My trouble is, I'm damned if I do and I'm damned if I dont. In other words,I'm between the devil and the deep blue sea with my complaint. I am 50 and have had back problems for the past 20 years. My consultant says he wont operate because he believes my mind over matter outlook appears to get me through day-to-day activities! If I stay at home or if work is slow,as it is presently,I get a stiff back. If I'm working or if I spend time digging at my allotment,I also get a stiff back! To me, anyone with back problems may as well work and play through the pain.  :)
people talk rubbish

Half a plot man

• Experienced Member
« Reply #14 on: February 19, 2011, 20:31 »
What's people's thoughts on people with 'dodgy' backs taking on an allotment?

Experiences, advice, very welcome

Install high raised beds, or get someone to help you. Or buy one of the Wolf tools sprung loaded spades to make the digging less hassle and effort?

xx
Oh my backs gonna hurt tommorrow!

Started by Foxy on Grow Your Own

3 Replies
Last post April 06, 2008, 20:46
by agapanthus
xx
Onions looking a bit dodgy - is this ok?

Started by jsgreen89 on Grow Your Own

3 Replies
Last post August 17, 2010, 21:17
by Yorkie
xx
Dodgy apples

Started by pennsylvania planters on Grow Your Own

5 Replies
Last post August 03, 2008, 19:47
by Aunt Sally
xx
Dodgy Compost

Started by boybeck on Grow Your Own

9 Replies
Last post August 05, 2009, 07:50
by Beetroot queen

Page created in 0.737 seconds with 32 queries.