Dodgy Compost

• 9 Replies

boybeck

Dodgy Compost
« on: August 04, 2009, 09:29 »
Is there such a thing as bad compost?

I bought a 70 ltr bag of peat free multi purpose from B&Q for £3.98 and my radish and rocket seedlings really don't look well.

I have planted another pot using a peat based multi-purpose and they're looking much healthier.

MikeyandAnnie

Re: Dodgy Compost
« Reply #1 on: August 04, 2009, 10:22 »
I had a similar experience with some (very) cheap compost from Tesco, whilst some equally cheap stuff from Netto was good.
Growing our own.

sandygreen

• Experienced Member
« Reply #2 on: August 04, 2009, 14:12 »
I bought three bags of B & Q peat free compost.  Whilst nothing has exactly died stuff hasn't looked very happy all summer either.  Think I will stick to peat based compost in future.

anndy

« Reply #3 on: August 04, 2009, 14:24 »
b&q compost i got a bag about a mouth ago when i opened it ,,
 lots of shedded plastic in  very poor compost

peapod

• Pea Goddess
« Reply #4 on: August 04, 2009, 15:48 »
B&Q compost was terrible this year, most of my seeds didnt even germinate until I changed to another brand
I wont be buying it ever again - its fair ruined my growing year up to a point
"I think the carrot infinitely more fascinating than the geranium. The carrot has mystery. Flowers are essentially tarts. Prostitutes for the bees. There is, you'll agree, a certain je ne sais quoi oh so very special about a firm young carrot" Withnail and I

boybeck

« Reply #5 on: August 04, 2009, 22:20 »
Well it looks like it's the compost then and not my gardening skills.  This is the first year I've grown veg and I was beginning to wonder if it was something I have been doing wrong.  :wacko:

mumofstig

• Global Moderator
« Reply #6 on: August 04, 2009, 22:23 »
Well it looks like it's the compost then and not my gardening skills.

Yes a lot of us have come to the same conclusion this year.........the worry for me..is what to buy next year :unsure:

AlotArds

• Experienced Member
« Reply #7 on: August 05, 2009, 00:27 »
I bought the Been & Qued stuff and it was terrible - not a lot tok in it, I changed to that Miracle stuff things came up fine, but I have to admit the quality of the stuff wasn't great as I found a lot of un-rotted stuff in each bag

Christine

« Reply #8 on: August 05, 2009, 07:38 »
I've said it before around here and I'll say it again  :) - the quality of bought in compost this year has been bad to worse.

Number of things come to mind:

• The number of people joining the grow your own movement has raised the demand for compost to a point where there is not enough decent stuff to go round
  • The Aminopyralid in manure problem has lessened the safe sources from which we can get compost as manure is a component in made up compost in some cases
  • The council produced compost from household waste is not going to be totally reliable as people put all the things they don't want to compost into their waste bins or the skip at the community tip
  • Compostable material is actually a finite resource and if care is not taken by the manufacturer then rubbish will be included in the contents of the bags sold

I have no answer to being able to buy good compost as I can see some of the problems in making it.

I'm trying to get down to only needing compost for seedlings but that will take a lot of magic as I can't make enough annually to be able to work into a third or a quarter of the allotment as John and others suggest.
« Last Edit: August 05, 2009, 15:37 by Christine »

Beetroot queen

« Reply #9 on: August 05, 2009, 07:50 »
You really should do a letter of complaint to B and Q you may get some free vouchers to buy other stuff with.

I am a great believer of complaining and try to do it on a daily basis, hubby is worse than me  :lol:

xx
Dodgy Compost

Started by mobilekat on Grow Your Own

4 Replies
Last post June 21, 2010, 17:28
by SarahB
xx
Dodgy £1land compost

Started by 3 allotments on Grow Your Own

17 Replies
Last post March 03, 2014, 20:59
by 3 allotments
xx
Dodgy seed

Started by alfman on Grow Your Own

12 Replies
Last post October 25, 2008, 22:23
by Trillium
xx
Onions looking a bit dodgy - is this ok?

Started by jsgreen89 on Grow Your Own

3 Replies
Last post August 17, 2010, 21:17
by Yorkie

Page created in 0.541 seconds with 38 queries.