late developer

• 2 Replies

Catsmuvva

• Experienced Member
late developer
« on: February 18, 2011, 17:50 »
Last May I bought 2 11mth Speckled Sussex, 1 of which sadly developed Marek's disease and had to be put to sleep. The other, Splish, has been freeloading from day 1 - until last week when she laid her first egg!
She then laid another, had a day's rest, and then laid again, but this time she ate it, as with the next one, so I kept an eye on proceedings yesterday and managed to rescue the egg before she got to it. From the racket she made announcing it's arrival I assumed it was huge & had taken considerable effort. How wrong I was...
She has only eaten her own so I wonder if, after all this time, it's come as a bit of a shock to finally be laying and she's trying to hide the evidence (not very convincingly when left with yolk on her face)
The photo shows a normal 65g egg on the left, Splish's first egg (50g, large yolk - ideal for mayo!) in the middle and the "huge" 14g egg from yesterday.
100_1102 (600 x 454).jpg

PaulineM

Re: late developer
« Reply #1 on: February 18, 2011, 19:39 »
Hi
Was there any shell left of the ones she ate? Was it very thin?
A hen will peck an egg after she has layed and if it breaks when she taps it she will eat it to hide the evidence.
Maybe she is just getting into the swing of things.
1 Hubby, 2 children, 2 Welsummers, 1 Leghorn Banty, 1 Wyandotte Banty, 1 Barnevelder, 2 Isa Brown, 1 Rhode Island, 1 Goldline,1 Maran, 2 Mottled Leghorns, 1 Leghorn cockerel & 2 Jack Russells

Catsmuvva

• Experienced Member
Re: late developer
« Reply #2 on: February 18, 2011, 21:22 »
Yep, she always leaves the evidence and it seems tough enough, no weaker than the ones she left - although the first 2 were laid in the nest box and the eaten ones were found on the ground under the ark, also where the diddy one was laid.

xx
when is it to late

Started by naturesparadise on The Hen House

19 Replies
Last post September 04, 2008, 18:41
by Aunt Sally
xx
hen has gone broody is it too late?

Started by jobson336 on The Hen House

1 Replies
Last post August 16, 2011, 02:53
by AL Hathaway
xx
Too late for brooding?

Started by bantam novice on The Hen House

3 Replies
Last post September 22, 2010, 13:46
by bantam novice
exclamation
Girls doing it late !!

Started by Oakdalebirds1 on The Hen House

7 Replies
Last post March 30, 2011, 21:20
by Oakdalebirds1

Page created in 0.545 seconds with 36 queries.