What I did on the plot today - 2011

• 2810 Replies

Paul Plots

Re: What I did on the plot today - 2011
« Reply #450 on: February 27, 2011, 09:37 »
OH and I put up our new shed on Friday. Delivery driver told us that it would take an hour! :wacko:  He must be a comedian as 4 hours later we finally got it wind and weather tight and OH had to spend yesterday morning finishing it off.   Now all I need to do is install the kettle and mini bar!

We must be on our 10th trip to the tip with the remnants of the old shed. Woodworm finally got the old dear (the shed that is!).

The ground is still too wet to touch but I covered part of the plot in black membrane to try to dry it off a bit.  Getting impatient to start digging but am at least few weeks off that I think.

A lovely morning this morning so it looks like I'll be re- laying the path with black membrane and bark after nearly breaking my neck slipping on the old one.

GG

You are certainly making good use of your time when little else can be done.  ;)
Never keep your wish-bone where your back-bone ought to be.

TheSpartacat

« Reply #451 on: February 27, 2011, 12:01 »
All my leeks have popped up in their seed tray- so they're gone into the cold frame.
Started some annual flower seeds in pots for the lotty.
Turned my compost heap at home...
... made a flask of coffee... and am off to tackle my future spud bed with an azada :-)

Nige2Plots

« Reply #452 on: February 27, 2011, 13:52 »
Just had an hour up there. Way to wet to do anything. Made good use of the time though!I cleaned the greenhouse glass inside and out. It  is so much easier when the glass is already wet as the Algae comes of so much easier. Likewise with the condensation inside it's a doddle.

spudkins

« Reply #453 on: February 27, 2011, 14:35 »
I went to choose my first allotment today (choice of 2).  It is ankle deep in weeds but nothing that I can't handle.  Can't wait to get the keys from the council an get digging! :D

MJS

• Winner - favourite sunflower photo of 2011
« Reply #454 on: February 27, 2011, 15:06 »
We have pulled up some pesky long rooted weeds, dug out a big pile of rubbish comprising of old carpet, rolled up unused turf, branches, wood, bricks, glass, soil and various lengths of wood. we now have a nice pile of useable wood, two buckets and a pop up rubbish bag of glass and other debris. A pile of wood and branches for a bonfire and a bin bag full of weeds. It was VERY muddy up there this weekend, but worth the effort in between the showers.

Junie

« Reply #455 on: February 27, 2011, 15:22 »
Hubby has the tractor out trying to pull out a tree stump in the middle of the plot!! 
Trunk out, now to try and get some of the roots out!
And then to dig where the tyres have been!  ho hum ::)

Rich

• The carrot has mystery. Flowers are tarts for bees
« Reply #456 on: February 27, 2011, 19:07 »
Digging potato beds, very heavy, wet, slow going.

Kimberley04

• Experienced Member
  • Very new to all this gardening lark
« Reply #457 on: February 27, 2011, 19:49 »
I was very proud of myself and my other half today.  We cleared all the areas by our beds of weeds, put weed membrane down, and then covered it with a big healthy helping of chippings (supplied for free to the allotment!!)

Lardman

« Reply #458 on: February 27, 2011, 21:20 »
Far too wet here to do anything outside.

Made 70 3/4inch diameter pots each 6inch long filled them with MP compost (easier to say than do) and put some of last years parsnip seeds in them.

Anyone fancy a sweep-stake on how many actually germinate ?

weirdsowing

« Reply #459 on: February 27, 2011, 21:42 »
My husband and I stared on the base of our new green house a romantic joint Valentines gift. Rain stopped play again.

Paul Plots

« Reply #460 on: February 27, 2011, 22:22 »
At the rate our weather is going I'll be searching for water-cress seeds.  :blink: Another day without even thinking of escaping to the plot. Too wet.

Bing

• Experienced Member
« Reply #461 on: February 27, 2011, 22:47 »
nearly finished digging my half plot, got really scared while digging an area where the old compost was situated. there were three little snake alike thing came out of the soil!!!

I used  a stick picked them up and put them in a container...later found out they are slow worms....

In the United Kingdom the slow worm has been granted protected status, alongside all other native British reptile species. The slow worm has been decreasing in numbers, and under the Wildlife and Countryside Act 1981 it is illegal to intentionally kill, injure, sell or advertise to sell them.

I dropped them into the new compost....
Rain at night, sunshine all day long!

MoreWhisky

« Reply #462 on: February 27, 2011, 23:46 »
Just a quick trip to harvest  purple sprouting for sunday dinner, Rudolph variety this yr and its yummy.
I'm very important. I have many leather-bound books and my apartment smells of rich mahogany.

Paul Plots

« Reply #463 on: February 28, 2011, 01:01 »
nearly finished digging my half plot, got really scared while digging an area where the old compost was situated. there were three little snake alike thing came out of the soil!!!

I used  a stick picked them up and put them in a container...later found out they are slow worms....

In the United Kingdom the slow worm has been granted protected status, alongside all other native British reptile species. The slow worm has been decreasing in numbers, and under the Wildlife and Countryside Act 1981 it is illegal to intentionally kill, injure, sell or advertise to sell them.

I dropped them into the new compost....

You lucky thing!! I'd love to have slow worms on my plot. I haven't seen one for years. As I guess you know they are completely harmless and eat all sorts of pests.

With care you can pick them up - they won't jump, bite, do anything nasty, sudden or unexpected.  :)

richy

• Experienced Member
« Reply #464 on: February 28, 2011, 09:15 »
I was moving rubbish on my new plot the end of last year and got bitten on my finger by a grass snake, it was only small but i still  nearly messed myself.

xx
what I did NOT do on the plot today.

Started by richrua on Grow Your Own

11 Replies
Last post March 30, 2013, 10:29
by BabbyAnn
xx
Been to my plot today for......

Started by jacnal on Grow Your Own

32 Replies
Last post October 23, 2007, 21:17
by gobs
xx
What I did on the plot today 2016

Started by grendel on Grow Your Own

533 Replies
Last post December 30, 2016, 16:09
by riggers24
xx
What I did on the plot today 2019

Started by JayG on Grow Your Own

143 Replies
Last post January 07, 2020, 14:33
by JayG

Page created in 1.125 seconds with 29 queries.