What I did on the plot today - 2011

• 2810 Replies

Springlands

Re: What I did on the plot today - 2011
« Reply #480 on: March 01, 2011, 18:05 »
Did a couple of hours of general clearing up in the garden - a mild and sunny afternoon. And also decided what is to go where - very important.

pumpkinpatch

« Reply #481 on: March 01, 2011, 20:44 »
Well, spent Friday Saturday and Sunday getting the cack out of the shed, demolished the shed and getting rid of the shed. In all it took well over 50 wheel barrow loads and one skip. We actually filled a whole skip well over the top just with the shed and its contents. At least that's done now and we can concentrate on the actual growing of the veg  :D

n.b83

« Reply #482 on: March 01, 2011, 20:58 »
I've got this week off, so I thought I would get up this morning and have a good day on the allotment. Got up there at 0600 and moved the trailer load of horse manure that the local farmer had kindly dropped me off, then I got a small fire going and did some general tidying round. I spent the rest of the day digging.
I also had some good news when the same farmer popped back and offered me 6 chickens, so the will be coming thursday.
Neil Begbie
has just taken tenancy of 506 sq meter allotment

mumofstig

• Global Moderator
« Reply #483 on: March 02, 2011, 14:32 »
The rhubarb I grew from seed a few years ago had grown quickly, so took some of the roots out of the garden beds and up to the allotment, where there is more space.
Lovely and bright but I quickly got cold and as there was no one about to natter to I came home for my cuppa :)

Paul Plots

« Reply #484 on: March 02, 2011, 15:09 »
Being on the plot today would be a nice thing.... some cementing to do in the kitchen (not rock cakes!) so I'm going to aim at escape time this coming week-end if the weather's kind.
Never keep your wish-bone where your back-bone ought to be.

Nogger

• Experienced Member
« Reply #485 on: March 02, 2011, 19:35 »
I  sowed sonnet lettuce seed in a cold greenhouse (no heat ) on my allotment 8days ago and they are just showing threw today

Rich

• The carrot has mystery. Flowers are tarts for bees
« Reply #486 on: March 02, 2011, 19:59 »
Did a few hours digging yesterday and an hour and a half of the same today. OMG it's taking forever! I have it in my head that give it a few weeks and its a bit drier i'll be able to rotovate as much of the lotty in a few minutes than i have dug in the last week or so  :(
The upside is that all the extra exercise has helped me lose 10 lbs in over a week.

mumofstig

• Global Moderator
« Reply #487 on: March 02, 2011, 20:07 »
Good result, surely  ;)

Digging is better than rotovating, as the spade goes deeper....it'll all be worth it, honestly :)

Rich

• The carrot has mystery. Flowers are tarts for bees
« Reply #488 on: March 02, 2011, 20:34 »
Thanks MOS, i look forward to looking back on all the digging, if you see what i mean  :)

snowdrops

« Reply #489 on: March 03, 2011, 15:58 »
Since Tuesday I've cleared an area of the allotment that had some slabs on & other useful things.Lightly dug it over & then after a few unsuccessful attempts to get a fire going(stuff to wet) went back to said area & had a go at laying the slabs.It's not perfect but better than it was & now have a good firm place to have my bench. Then tidied the utility area & re-sited water butt & comfrey butt.Fed fruit bushes & trees.Yesterday I finally got round to clearing the greenhouse out, jet washing it & giving it a good scrub inside & out.And today back to the lottie for a bit of digging, more unsuccessful attempts to get a fire going,2 trips to lottie with composting material, & then finally clearing a load of pots etc waiting to be washed. Do you think thats why I need a sit down!!
A woman's place is in her garden.

See my diary pages here
and add a comment here

SkipRat

« Reply #490 on: March 03, 2011, 18:22 »
Forked over 3 raised beds (30ft by 4 ft), tidied savoy cabbage bed up, and generally pottering about.
I used to work in a helium gas factory, but I walked out, no one talks to me like that.

gillian62

« Reply #491 on: March 03, 2011, 18:27 »
Spent a good 2 1/2 hours down the allotment today.  Finished off digging the fruit bed, and planted all the rasp canes I had left.

A neighbouring alloment holder offered me some more rasp canes and some straw runners and as I am hoping to get the back 1/2 of my plot to rent this year, I accepted.  I have cut down the rasp canes as instructed and planted the strawberries.

I dug out another 1/4 of one of my beds, and found that 2 sage, 1 oregano and 1 thyme plant had survived in that strip.  I also had another 2 or 3 thyme plants survive in another bed, so I am well pleased with that.

I watered some pots of seeds that I set on Sunday - no growth yet in my temporary cloche (old ottoman with plastic over the top).

Just remembered that I forgot to plant my garlic and jerusalem artichokes, so need to go down and do them tomorrow.

Half a plot man

• Experienced Member
« Reply #492 on: March 03, 2011, 22:05 »
Spent an hour after work all this week, and managed suprising things!!! Put a tool rack up in the shed and cleared out the cr*p, then trimmed and cleared all the old dead blackberries stems, and cleared the top end of plot of leaves etc. Also sited two compost bins. I find an hour with head down is more productive than 4hour stretch.

Thrift

« Reply #493 on: March 03, 2011, 22:46 »
Started forking over the area where I grew pasnips and unearthed quite a few stones then hit a massive great rock!  :ohmy: I kept excavating and eventually got it free; luckily OH helped and rolled it away.

Continued on and found another so after much creaking and crunching ( me, not the rock ) managed to get that out. I need a delivery of top soil to fill the holes now! I managed a bit more by sitting on my stool and digging from that position.  ???

Tigerhair

• Experienced Member
« Reply #494 on: March 04, 2011, 07:50 »
Yesterday was my day off from work, I went up to the lottie after dropping small boy at school and worked solidly until just after 3pm - went to get small boy and took him up the lottie for another 1.5 hrs!!!  I ACHE ALL OVER!!!

I painted the compost bins (made of pallets so they look better the same colour as the shed and it might make the shoddy wood last longer), I dug and dug and dug the new beds, I put the blinds up in the shed, and I dug some more.  Oh and chatted with a lot of people.  Lovely atmosphere up there!  I LOVE my new lottie!!!!

xx
what I did NOT do on the plot today.

Started by richrua on Grow Your Own

11 Replies
Last post March 30, 2013, 10:29
by BabbyAnn
xx
Been to my plot today for......

Started by jacnal on Grow Your Own

32 Replies
Last post October 23, 2007, 21:17
by gobs
xx
I have been to see my new plot for the first time today

Started by debih on Grow Your Own

11 Replies
Last post August 18, 2008, 20:57
by Nogger
xx
Have rotavated the plot today

Started by Peterjohn on Grow Your Own

11 Replies
Last post February 10, 2008, 09:03
by shaun

Page created in 0.478 seconds with 30 queries.