What I did on the plot today - 2011

• 2810 Replies

Rangerkris

• My pic's
Re: What I did on the plot today - 2011
« Reply #495 on: March 04, 2011, 17:31 »
Planted some fruit bushes had a chat with the bloke next door, and stood scratching my head as to were to start. Its to cod to start uncovering the ground yet i reckon. 
Thanks
Kris

snowdrops

« Reply #496 on: March 04, 2011, 18:51 »
I went out in the garden when the SUN came out it was lovely.I tidied the shed so I could get through the door, Then cleared all the stuff around the shed are that I'd cleared from the greenhouse the other day & then I made a start on washing last years plant pots that I never got done.I managed to do loads more than I expected. Day off tomorrow going out at 7.50 on a trip to the rhubarb triangle with WI.Might get some seeds sown on Sun in clean pots In clean greenhouse.
A woman's place is in her garden.

See my diary pages here
and add a comment here

Thrift

« Reply #497 on: March 05, 2011, 09:50 »
Yesterday managed a bit more digging and excavating. Then started emptying flower pots and tubs of old compost which I deposited on the veg plot ready to mix in.

Dom2599

« Reply #498 on: March 05, 2011, 13:15 »
Netted my rhubarb, its not had a chance to grow since 4 rabbits have started to lodge on my plot.........

tontom

• Experienced Member
« Reply #499 on: March 05, 2011, 17:18 »
went to the lottie yesterday and dug up the swedes that did'nt swell to anything. sowed some parsnip seeds , sowed some nantes carrots under cloches and scattered some chicken manure pellets around spring cabbages , onions , and raspberry canes. A good 3 or 4 hours work done  :D

Tigerhair

• Experienced Member
« Reply #500 on: March 05, 2011, 20:06 »
Moved a load of items that had been stored at my house for the allotment (with about 20 people helping along with a fork lift!) - then finished digging second bed (removed grass first) - it's 2m x 8m - only two more of them to go.  Finished the down pipe for the second water butt.  Moved some old bricks for a small patio out of the front of the shed from my late father in law's house.  Started removing the grass from the second bed.  Made lots of tea and coffee and a small amount of hot chocolate.  Had loads of great chats with lovely people.  Planted some garlic in the cold greenhouse at home.  Made four cushion covers for the plastic chairs in the shed as they are mighty chilly on my bot bot!!!

Allotmentgirl

« Reply #501 on: March 05, 2011, 20:12 »
Planted some Blackcurrant bushes (Lidl, £5.00 for 4) and mulched them in with some home made compost - note to self, get some manure. Also worked over one of my newly dug beds and hoiked out another barrow load of weeds. Drank tea with neighbouring allotment holders while stamping feet to keep warm. Did not sit on bench - it was perishing cold!!

Dan78

• Experienced Member
« Reply #502 on: March 05, 2011, 20:33 »
I have had quite a productive couple of days.. Had yesterday off so could get to the plot while 1 of my boys was at school.

In 2 days I have weeded and dug over about half the plot. Im so impressed how crumbly the soil is and how easy to dig it was compared to last year which was also my first year!

The rhubarb i thought was dying is back to life so have given some of my allotment produced compost  :D also covered the raspberry canes with manure and compost and weeded.. Hoping for big things this year.. I thought they werent supposed to fruit last year (their first year) but got quite a nice crop! Lots of jam making this year I hope!

Also dug a nice big bed for the other half and 2 boys to plant flowers and whatever they want!

Managed to put some garlic in the ground and started a few seeds in the conservatory at home.. Wondering whether now is a good time to start all the chillies I will be growing!

So nice to be back on the plot and working again.. Had forgotten how much I enjoyed it.. Had also forgotten how much digging can hurt!!! :)

Runwell-Steve

• Experienced Member
« Reply #503 on: March 05, 2011, 21:10 »
I made my first visit to the allotment this year today, I have been a bit busy with work and away a lot.  It was nice to get down there and find it still looking tidy.  My clearing up at the end of last year paid off.

I did manage to get my tomato seeds sown last Wednesday indoors though.

I cleared the last two raised beds today that had the remnants of the sprouts and cabbages in, and rotovated them, weeded the strawberry bed, and cleared the other end of that bed ready for even more strawberries.

Planted onions, Garlic and shallots.

I am more organised than ever before, all beds basically prepared for the coming season, need to go and see my mate and raid his antique pile of manure and I'll be ready for the year ahead.

Half of the allotment is a clear rotovated bit of ground ready for potatoes and beans and peas etc.., the other half I have 3 empty raised beds that will be devoted to salad crops this year.  The fruit is getting more established and all the Dwarf Apple Trees are looking quite healthy.

I think it might be a good year.

Junie

« Reply #504 on: March 05, 2011, 22:24 »
Nothing today, but tomorrow will have to carry on trying to dig out a tree trunk and roots - much bigger than I had thought when deciding where to place the veg plot!

Paul Plots

« Reply #505 on: March 05, 2011, 22:42 »
I got there!!!!!!!

Not until 3pm 3:30 pm but better than never - left for home in the dark at 6.30 after lots of digging.

Buttercups make such a nice show when they are in a pile for burning  :) and I've enough raspberry canes for yet another row. You can't have too many... Can you?  :blink:

Bordeaux Spinach has survived the winter and is tender enough to eat raw. So sweet - I was surprised. Carrots and leeks in the bag!  ;)

Purple sprouting? Perhaps I'm being impatient... healthy plants but so tiddly this year.  :(
« Last Edit: March 05, 2011, 23:34 by Learner »
Never keep your wish-bone where your back-bone ought to be.

Jamie Butterworth

• Young Gardener at Chelsea Flower Show - 2014, 2015
  • BBC3 Young Gardener Of The Year 2011 - Finalist
    • Jamie Butterworth
« Reply #506 on: March 05, 2011, 23:16 »
Went to the local timber yard to get more wood for the path, did a bit more on the path, made two new raised beds for the greenhouse and made a gravel path in the greenhouse, found a few bags of 3 year old manure so give my rasberries a treat :D Did a bit more digging over in the allotment raised beds, will keep working at them :D

Hopefully i will get anouther productive day tomorow, lots needs to be done, and sowed ::) :D
If you want to be happy for a short time - get drunk.

If you want to be happy for a long time - fall in love.

If you want to be happy forever - take up gardening!

MJS

• Winner - favourite sunflower photo of 2011
« Reply #507 on: March 06, 2011, 07:43 »
Yesterday, we did some more digging over, glass clearing and weeding. Measured up for some chicken wire fencing. Today we will be measuring the plot and marking out for the various veg "plots" for planting. should cut down on the amount of digging! :D

lancashiregardeninggal

« Reply #508 on: March 06, 2011, 11:18 »
Well - its a beautiful morning here - if a bit cold - had a couple of brews to psych myself up -

my garden is heavy clay so am raising beds for my veggies - hoping to get lots done as this

weather is set to continue!  :D :D :D
'Is All That We See Or Seem But A Dream Within A Dream'........Edgar Allan Poe

mumofstig

• Global Moderator
« Reply #509 on: March 06, 2011, 12:01 »
I took the kitchen waste and some cardboard up for the compost heap and covered a small bed with some poly to warm it up a bit for my first pea sowings. Had a quick natter, but too cold to stay for long Brrrr

xx
what I did NOT do on the plot today.

Started by richrua on Grow Your Own

11 Replies
Last post March 30, 2013, 10:29
by BabbyAnn
xx
Been to my plot today for......

Started by jacnal on Grow Your Own

32 Replies
Last post October 23, 2007, 21:17
by gobs
xx
I have been to see my new plot for the first time today

Started by debih on Grow Your Own

11 Replies
Last post August 18, 2008, 20:57
by Nogger
xx
What I did on the plot today 2024

Started by New shoot on Grow Your Own

79 Replies
Last post August 26, 2024, 20:02
by vikingraider

Page created in 0.569 seconds with 38 queries.