What I did on the plot today - 2011

• 2810 Replies

kingdhesiii

• Experienced Member
Re: What I did on the plot today - 2011
« Reply #435 on: February 24, 2011, 19:57 »
What a great day!  I made a flask of tea to take with me to the allotment and it was so warm out I didn't want to drink it!

Today I did some more prep on my asparagus bed.  Cleared some space to finish planting my hedge and began turning the brassica patch.

I was going to start an asparagus bed. Roughly how many crowns do you need to buy when starting it?
Woooooooooooooo

lizzie1982

« Reply #436 on: February 24, 2011, 21:08 »
Today on the plot, i put some weed membrane over the beds i'd dug. I weighted them down with bricks, and I hope the wind doesn't blow them away.
I also dug over a small area approx. 1ft x 3ft and built a cold frame out of bricks and 2 panes of glass.
Hopefully if the weather is good again at the weekend i will be able to start the base of my shed :)

Junie

« Reply #437 on: February 25, 2011, 07:31 »
Yesterday, lightly dug over an area, which was dug and rotavated in the autumn - only to remove loads of couch grass roots :mad: . I will be removing them al summer I think.  Put a mini polytunnel over this area ready for some spring onions and carrots.
Also making my roll-up wooden paths - OH let me loose with his chop saw - all digits till intact!

Paul Plots

« Reply #438 on: February 25, 2011, 11:10 »
My plot might have a housing development on it or another new road.  :ohmy:

It has been so long since I last visited...

Still sopping wet here and when we do have a dry spell it doesn't last long enough to allow the ground to dry out a little.
Never keep your wish-bone where your back-bone ought to be.

iggyboy60

• Experienced Member
« Reply #439 on: February 25, 2011, 16:41 »
I am amazed at how much more light is filtering through my polytunnel after spending two hours giving the interior and the exterior a really good wash with a bucket of water,a couple of dishcloths and a soft brush. I had no idea how grotty it had actually got and I'm really happy I went to the trouble now.....so much better.  :)
people talk rubbish

plum crumble

« Reply #440 on: February 25, 2011, 19:15 »
YAY!! me and OH built our new shed on the lottie - me not so much cos of dodgy foot, but still there! And moved some membrane, re-sited brassica hoops ready for the netting. Opened the dalek and couldn't believe how many whitefly came out.  :ohmy:
small, Welsh and almost certainly bonkers, but can be tamed with Talisker, if required

snowdrops

« Reply #441 on: February 25, 2011, 19:16 »
I managed a slow walk to the allotment this afternoon.I'm recovering from a sickness bug  :tongue2: :Pthat put me in bed all day yesterday when I should have been enjoying all that lovely gardening weather :(. Never mind I've got next week :) off so should get up to date I hope.
A woman's place is in her garden.

See my diary pages here
and add a comment here

mashbintater

• Experienced Member
« Reply #442 on: February 25, 2011, 20:54 »
Coat off, (lovely & mild afternoon) pruned the raspberry canes (kill 'em or sort 'em), ready to shift a few this w/e hopefully, weather permitting. Sat & surveyed my lovely lottie, I still can't believe I've finally got one  :D. Met another allotmenteer  :)

pumpkinpatch

« Reply #443 on: February 25, 2011, 20:58 »
Skip arrived today, so headed straight to the plot after work, cleared a few loads, all the glass, the old bath filled with mud and a few other bits of rubbish. Stayed till 6 o clock doing all this
Hopefully get the shed out the way tomorrow weather permitting though.

Jamie Butterworth

• Young Gardener at Chelsea Flower Show - 2014, 2015
  • BBC3 Young Gardener Of The Year 2011 - Finalist
    • Jamie Butterworth
« Reply #444 on: February 25, 2011, 22:06 »
Put down weed membrane and bark chippings on allotment path, fitted latch to the gate, planted 4 fruit bushes, gave them all some BFB, started digging out posh garden path and then began to fill it :D
« Last Edit: February 26, 2011, 11:09 by Jamie Butterworth »
If you want to be happy for a short time - get drunk.

If you want to be happy for a long time - fall in love.

If you want to be happy forever - take up gardening!

digalotty

« Reply #445 on: February 25, 2011, 23:28 »
you doing good mate  :)
when im with my 9yr old she's the sensible one

Jamie Butterworth

• Young Gardener at Chelsea Flower Show - 2014, 2015
  • BBC3 Young Gardener Of The Year 2011 - Finalist
    • Jamie Butterworth
« Reply #446 on: February 26, 2011, 18:17 »
you doing good mate  :)

Thanks mate :D

Today i sowed my parsnips and broad beans in some of richys paper pots,  then sowed some early geraniums, not got my hopes up for them though :(
I also did a bit more on the path and dug a bit more of the allotment over before it started raining :)

amckeen

« Reply #447 on: February 26, 2011, 20:00 »
Finished putting a chicken wire roof and walls on the new chicken run (the old one having turned so wet that the girls feet were becoming webbed!).  Celebrated by getting 4 more hens to take us to 15.

Desparately want to get some digging done and plant some bits and pieces but the clay soil is so waterlogged that it is not worth touching at the minute.

billathome65

• Experienced Member
« Reply #448 on: February 27, 2011, 09:11 »
Damned rain it's chucking it down giving me the blues  >:( >:( anyway I have two weeks off work from next Thursday so I hope to get even busier in the garden then, weather and other jobs permitting.  ;) ;)
« Last Edit: February 27, 2011, 09:13 by billathome65 »
The best way to learn to do something is to do something.

Geordie Gal

« Reply #449 on: February 27, 2011, 09:35 »
OH and I put up our new shed on Friday. Delivery driver told us that it would take an hour! :wacko:  He must be a comedian as 4 hours later we finally got it wind and weather tight and OH had to spend yesterday morning finishing it off.   Now all I need to do is install the kettle and mini bar!

We must be on our 10th trip to the tip with the remnants of the old shed. Woodworm finally got the old dear (the shed that is!).

The ground is still too wet to touch but I covered part of the plot in black membrane to try to dry it off a bit.  Getting impatient to start digging but am at least few weeks off that I think.

A lovely morning this morning so it looks like I'll be re- laying the path with black membrane and bark after nearly breaking my neck slipping on the old one.

GG

xx
Been to my plot today for......

Started by jacnal on Grow Your Own

32 Replies
Last post October 23, 2007, 21:17
by gobs
xx
what I did NOT do on the plot today.

Started by richrua on Grow Your Own

11 Replies
Last post March 30, 2013, 10:29
by BabbyAnn
xx
my plot today (pics)

Started by pawsnclaws on Grow Your Own

0 Replies
Last post January 25, 2010, 14:01
by pawsnclaws
xx
What I did on the plot today - 2013

Started by Paul Plots on Grow Your Own

2699 Replies
Last post December 31, 2013, 19:40
by snowdrops

Page created in 0.681 seconds with 37 queries.