death by chilli

• 23 Replies

flowergirl

death by chilli
« on: August 03, 2007, 14:56 »
ok i know im new to this lark and very keen to see stuff developing but i didnt realise i was stupid too. yesterday went to the plot to do some routine watering and general pottering and my daughter pointed out that the chillies werent changing colour(some green some black) so i thought "i will try one of the green ones" being cautious i broke off about 1/2 a centimeter and popped it in my mouth then.....OH MY GOD IM GOING TO DIE!!my lips,tounge and throat were on fire,my mouth and eyes were watering like a running tap and my "loving" daughter was wetting herself as i staggered around my plot thinking i was gonna go blind!thankfully after about 5 minutes eveything went numb so no more pain!that'll learn me not to be so dam impatient! :shock:

Oscar Too

death by chilli
« Reply #1 on: August 03, 2007, 15:22 »
Capsiacin, the hot active ingredient in chilli, is fat soluble, so if this happen unexpectedly, a swishing a gulp of milk around your mouth will help.

It's also slightly acidic, so a weak solution of bicarb of soda will wash it off any mucous membranes or eyes.  I had to do this once when my gf got a squirt in her eye.

jacnal

• http://jacnal.blogspot.com/
death by chilli
« Reply #2 on: August 03, 2007, 16:30 »
:lol:  :lol:  :lol:  :roll:

I learnt from a very young age that any kind of hot pepper is not to be *tasted*, even in the smallest amount. We used to have a small bush with the littlest, cutest innocent looking chillies, and to date, I believe thy're the hottest as well. My mean cousin tricked us into tasting them out. It was 15 years ago, but I still remember the exact time, place and feeling of *I'm gonna die*, lol! Even my brain was tickled by the chilli  :roll: . And, I still love chilli, lol!  :shock:
Jac

Trying organic gardening. Hoping to stick to it.

Boothy

• Experienced Member
death by chilli
« Reply #3 on: August 03, 2007, 17:07 »
on the back of this post, i have just had to go pick my first ever fresh chilli.  Wow its hot, and I'm feeling rather proud cos I grew it :D
Total beginner - please bear with me if I ask daft questions!!

jacnal

• http://jacnal.blogspot.com/
death by chilli
« Reply #4 on: August 03, 2007, 17:49 »
Quote from: "Boothy"
on the back of this post, i have just had to go pick my first ever fresh chilli.  Wow its hot, and I'm feeling rather proud cos I grew it :D

Congratulations Boothy!

Enjoy your peppers. I'll probably plant some next year. Was too late to do anything useful this year  :(

agapanthus

Re: death by chilli
« Reply #5 on: August 03, 2007, 22:55 »
Quote from: "flowergirl"
ok i know im new to this lark and very keen to see stuff developing but i didnt realise i was stupid too. yesterday went to the plot to do some routine watering and general pottering and my daughter pointed out that the chillies werent changing colour(some green some black) so i thought "i will try one of the green ones" being cautious i broke off about 1/2 a centimeter and popped it in my mouth then.....OH MY GOD IM GOING TO DIE!!my lips,tounge and throat were on fire,my mouth and eyes were watering like a running tap and my "loving" daughter was wetting herself as i staggered around my plot thinking i was gonna go blind!thankfully after about 5 minutes eveything went numb so no more pain!that'll learn me not to be so dam impatient! :shock:

Sounds great lowergirl....what variety was it?? :)

Sally A

death by chilli
« Reply #6 on: August 04, 2007, 15:50 »
I'm a bit miffed, bought a plant from Homebase F1 super fresno, granted the chillies are still green, but they are chilli size and I thought I'd give 'em a whirl.

Sliced off the tiniest bit ever, popped it in mouth, and it tasted just like a flippin' green pepper.  Even the seeds never packed the tiniest punch.

Is there a chance my chillies and peppers have cross pollinated? So will I get a nasty shock when I stick a pepper or two into a sauce?

Or am i just being impatient by not letting them turn red?

muntjac

death by chilli
« Reply #7 on: August 04, 2007, 15:59 »
red is hot  :wink:
still alive /............

Sally A

death by chilli
« Reply #8 on: August 04, 2007, 16:03 »
Brill!, my daughter was so "dissing" of my chillies, I'll wait for them to go red, and then I'll get her!!!  - "just like a red pepper now" I'll say.

helluvatractor

death by chilli
« Reply #9 on: August 04, 2007, 16:46 »
just a quick one. are chilis annuals?  how long will my chilis last? :shock:

Sally A

death by chilli
« Reply #10 on: August 04, 2007, 16:52 »
ooh, never thought about that, have always assumed they needed sowing every year.

Can't find anything anywhere to suggest otherwise.

muntjac

death by chilli
« Reply #11 on: August 04, 2007, 16:55 »
sow each year makes em annual.. you can start em in jan with sucessional plants if you wanna in a heated house :wink: try bolivian rainbow for a nice " warm "  one  :twisted:

jackiestagg

• Experienced Member
death by chilli
« Reply #12 on: August 04, 2007, 21:38 »
I grow a sweet pepper called 'Jimmy Nardello', Its great for convincing visitors you're a hard nut, they're long and thin and not very big and look JUST like a big chilli... and they can see I don't even cry...but they won't try one. great for a laff

Fat Hen

death by chilli
« Reply #13 on: August 04, 2007, 22:29 »
Sally A;  Fresno is an xremely mild variety for putting in salads.

Many varieties of chillis are perrenials and will crop better in subsequent years.  Varietis such as tepin need at least 2 yrs before you get anyting like a decent crop.  Habenaros crop better in their 2nd yr.

I think it's your ornementals that tend to be annuals.

Sally A

death by chilli
« Reply #14 on: August 04, 2007, 22:34 »
Mild?  I've been diddled, I'm sure it said hot chilli on the label.

xx
Chilli plants not flowering or growing chilli's?

Started by bb_odiham on Grow Your Own

20 Replies
Last post September 19, 2008, 12:12
by gobs
xx
Sow chilli plants now for better/more chilli's next year?

Started by green_fingered_ash on Grow Your Own

7 Replies
Last post June 10, 2009, 21:01
by sunshineband
xx
Death to weeds

Started by Rich72 on Grow Your Own

10 Replies
Last post August 29, 2015, 21:57
by Yorkie
xx
Welcome To 'The Plot Of Death'

Started by erainn on Grow Your Own

20 Replies
Last post July 21, 2012, 11:30
by starry

Page created in 0.937 seconds with 28 queries.