Starting parsnips early!!!

• 12 Replies

supervegman

Starting parsnips early!!!
« on: December 27, 2010, 12:43 »
Hi all i want to try and start planting early by starting modules and then say trying to use a propagator to get them to germinate...what do you guys think?
  Then when big enough plant then out ina perpared seedbed outside

DD.

• Global Moderator
  • Location: Loughborough. a/k/a Digger Dave. Prettiest Pumpkin prizewinner 2011
  • Pea God & Founder Member of The NFGG
Re: Starting parsnips early!!!
« Reply #1 on: December 27, 2010, 12:46 »
No. Not everything is suited to propagators. You'll end up with weak plants.

Patience is the best aid to growing parsnips.

By all means start them in modules, but somewhere cool and not yet.

Did it really tell you to do THAT on the packet?

mumofstig

• Global Moderator
« Reply #2 on: December 27, 2010, 12:52 »
most veg need gentle warmth to grow............very few need the heat of a propagator, only stuff like peppers and tomatoes, which came from hotter climates.
Parsnips do not need to be sown now, much too early! Conditions outside will not be good for them until march or april, so where would you grow them between now and then...........save your seed and sow them as and when conditions are right.

snap DD,
« Last Edit: December 28, 2010, 11:22 by mumofstig »

Kristen

• K's Garden blog
« Reply #3 on: December 27, 2010, 13:15 »
Personally I wouldn't grow parsnips in modules. I grow mine in tubes made from newspaper about 6" - 8" deep and the tap root is coming out of the bottom by the time I plant at the first true leaf stage!  I also think if you sow them early they will be more inclined to bolt. If you are growing-for-showing then an early start to get large roots may be important, but for eating you'll just wind up cutting more of the "woody bit" away.

Patience required!

DD.

• Global Moderator
  • Location: Loughborough. a/k/a Digger Dave. Prettiest Pumpkin prizewinner 2011
  • Pea God & Founder Member of The NFGG
« Reply #4 on: December 27, 2010, 13:25 »
A good point re the tap root, Kristen, not something I'd have thought of as I've always sown direct into the soil.

I sow April time, a pinch every 8" and then thin.

Simples.

Nikkithefoot

« Reply #5 on: December 27, 2010, 14:03 »
I started mine last year on paper in late Feb (they were an early variety) , once chitted I put them in paper pots, then planted out when they had three true leaves. I ended up with many roots BUT they started at the 'height' of the bottom of the paper pots. The upper part grew into 5" diameter parsnips and very tasty they are too.

This year once chitted I am going to plant direct into the ground.

I know this may start the debate over chitting and a lot won't agree............but for me it worked and I have had the best ever year for parsnips.
I was put on this earth to accomplish a certain number of things; right now I am so far behind I will never die.

Comfortably Numb

• Experienced Member
    • Dung Beetle's Allotment Plots
« Reply #6 on: December 27, 2010, 15:59 »
I sowed direct into the ground the last week in April this year, and had excellent germination and growth  :)
Cheers, Comfortably Numb.

I'm just off down the greenhouse. I won't be long ..........................

JayG

• Global Moderator
« Reply #7 on: December 27, 2010, 16:05 »
For me the chitting debate is not so much about whether it works or not (because it does!) but whether it is necessary.

I'm far too lazy to faff about like that; I find sowing outdoors later than sometimes recommended as CN says produces much better germination, although maybe late April is pushing it a bit where I am!  :)
Sow your seeds, plant your plants. What's the difference? A couple of weeks or more when answering possible queries!

One of the best things about being an orang-utan is the fact that you don't lose your good looks as you get older

Kristen

• K's Garden blog
« Reply #8 on: December 27, 2010, 17:22 »
I agree, its a lot of faffing about, but over the years I have had very variable results with direct sown - particularly when there is a dry spell just after sowing - and I've thus come to the conclusion that the faffing of making newspaper pots, and chitting on kitchen-paper and then pricking out for the 50 that I grow is worth the effort.
« Last Edit: December 27, 2010, 22:08 by Kristen »

Nikkithefoot

« Reply #9 on: December 27, 2010, 17:52 »
My thoughts precisely with regard to the faff. I too get extremely variable results when sowing directly. Chitting and planting at least gives me the assurance that most of what I plant out is viable and therefore I get far more predictable results...........and a happy family to boot.

Comfortably Numb

• Experienced Member
    • Dung Beetle's Allotment Plots
« Reply #10 on: December 27, 2010, 18:01 »
For me the chitting debate is not so much about whether it works or not (because it does!) but whether it is necessary.

I'm far too lazy to faff about like that; I find sowing outdoors later than sometimes recommended as CN says produces much better germination, although maybe late April is pushing it a bit where I am!  :)

I'd just like to add that I sowed under fleece as well. Must of been almost 100% germination  :)

JayG

• Global Moderator
« Reply #11 on: December 27, 2010, 22:24 »
I'm not so lazy that I can't be bothered to make paper pots to start plants off which benefit from being sown that way (sweetcorn and beans in particular) but I still can't be faffed to chit and haven't regretted it yet (but there's a first time for everything!)  :)

PennyS

• My website
« Reply #12 on: December 28, 2010, 09:43 »
I just direct sowed mine - I had patchy germination on first sowing so did another once the first lot were "through". 

Result - brilliant snips and they really made my Christmas Dinner. My first year of growing them so I'm delighted.

I didn't pre-chit them or anything, just direct sowed straight from the packet.  Mind you I'm on a good loam which I'm sure helps.

Lotty holder since Aug 09... I've FINALLY finished clearing it! On with the p.lanting  ....

xx
Parsnips Starting To Grow

Started by Fisherman on Grow Your Own

2 Replies
Last post March 01, 2012, 17:56
by JayG
xx
Starting off carrots and parsnips in a greenhouse

Started by logi06 on Grow Your Own

4 Replies
Last post February 14, 2017, 13:13
by ghost61
xx
Starting tomatos early next year.

Started by sharky on Grow Your Own

15 Replies
Last post September 06, 2008, 12:48
by sharky
xx
Question on starting chillies/peppers early?

Started by GreyScales on Grow Your Own

14 Replies
Last post November 05, 2013, 15:30
by Robster

Page created in 0.831 seconds with 30 queries.