Question on starting chillies/peppers early?

• 14 Replies

GreyScales

• Experienced Member
Question on starting chillies/peppers early?
« on: November 03, 2013, 22:35 »
I started my chilli and pepper plants in March this year because at the time the conservatory was still being built, delaying when I had access to a suitably lit and warm area to keep them in. At the time I was fretting because I knew I was behind the January/February recommended planting period for these plants, but I'm quite happy with how they turned out this year.

Next year I have the advantage of the conservatory already being built, and being November; January doesn't seem that far off.

My question is about the environment they will have to contend with, as everywhere online says they're going to end up leggy that time of year. I already have a heated mat from the start of this year, but do people use some sort of lighting system to stop them going leggy; or does the earliness compensate for the leggy start? I'm considering getting a "cheap" grow light to start them off with, but I was wondering if people would consider this an unnecessary expense?

How's everyone's experience starting chillies/peppers during the darker and colder months?

goodtogrow

• Experienced Member
  • Less is More
    • stirruphoes
Re: Question on starting chillies/peppers early?
« Reply #1 on: November 04, 2013, 11:36 »
Hi Greyscales, I don't have that experience, but I'd like to.......

I think that you're on track with your conservatory and grow-light.  You should be able to control 'legginess' with a grow-light.  Those plants you mention have such a long growing season in the UK, if grown outside, so advancing them makes sense to me.

I think that you're at the start of something wonderful.

Best wishes

Tom
No-one has a monopoly of knowledge, nor wisdom

Auntiemogs

« Reply #2 on: November 04, 2013, 11:57 »
Hi Grey Scales.

They will definitely be leggy if they don't get enough light, so no, an early start won't be compensation for it.

I have one of those lights and it is great for starting things off.  I use mine for my toms and the only problem I've found is having plants that are ready to go in (getting too tall for the light box) and the weather not being warm enough.  Also, you have to think about the amount of light they will get when they outgrow it. 

Depending on how long you leave it on, they can come on quite quickly, which is lovely if you're trying to play catchups.

Mags  :)
I would rather live in a world
where my life is surrounded by mystery
than live in a world so small that my mind could comprehend it...✿~ Harry Emerson Fosdick

GreyScales

• Experienced Member
« Reply #3 on: November 04, 2013, 13:55 »
So a grow light is recommended for earliness, but not too earlier because they will quickly outgrow it? Sounds like February is the better bet with a small light than January.

goodtogrow

• Experienced Member
  • Less is More
    • stirruphoes
« Reply #4 on: November 04, 2013, 14:51 »
Raise the grow-light if they get too big?

Totty

« Reply #5 on: November 04, 2013, 17:37 »
With peppers, I think you could get away with a really early start using lights. I would not recommend the one you highlighted though. Search for T5 flourescent lights.
Chillies and peppers grow slowly so you won't have the problem of having big leggy plants that need to go out ASAP,
And under sufficient lighting they won't get leggy anyway.

Totty

GreyScales

• Experienced Member
« Reply #6 on: November 04, 2013, 18:05 »
The problem is I don't have the space to set up a dedicated grow light system, whatever I use will be sat on a windowsill or shelf wherever there is space; not hanging from a permanent fitting on the ceiling. So while that kit may not be the best; it's easy to plug in somewhere, move if necessary, then shove in a box when its done.

Auntiemogs

« Reply #7 on: November 04, 2013, 19:29 »
You could raise it a bit more I suppose by rigging something up, but not too much, as I think light works on an 'inverse square' law i.e. the intensity of the light reduces greatly as you increase the distance.

I bought mine for exactly those reasons GreyScales and I have another added to my festival wishlist.  :D

It really is worth getting the self watering tray too, as it makes it so much easier to keep them watered and I buy the square pots so I can fit more in.  :)

BigPaddy

• Experienced Member
« Reply #8 on: November 05, 2013, 11:53 »
I start chilis early and don't use lighting. Mine go into a heated greenhouse. The heat is really low and just meant keep the frost out. They get daylight for the short period that it is available and nothing more. I would say provided they are not too warm they will grow steadily and not start getting leggy before the days lengthen anyway.

Paddy
Patrick
Hull, East yorkshire

Robster

« Reply #9 on: November 05, 2013, 12:03 »
Slightly off your topic but you may be interested.  I have kept chillies in pots for a little while and with careful pruning and feeding and general care they seem to last and crop over several years.  They go out in the late spring into the greenhouse and come in before it gets too cold.  I am going to bring them in this week I think as the leaves are starting to yellow.  I still grow some as an annual for most chillies.  I am now going into my third year.

JayG

• Global Moderator
« Reply #10 on: November 05, 2013, 12:05 »
Although my cayenne peppers seem perfectly willing to start their 4th year indoors in a few months time (they never really stop) I will probably start some more off exactly the same way as I did the others - sown in Feb and placed in as warm a place indoors as I can muster at that time of year until they germinate, then they live on a south facing bedroom window (double glazed, heating on low) for ever after (apparently!) 

This also worked when I grew other chilli varieties, although I suspect cayenne are particularly easy and long-suffering.  ;)
« Last Edit: November 05, 2013, 12:05 by JayG »
Sow your seeds, plant your plants. What's the difference? A couple of weeks or more when answering possible queries!

One of the best things about being an orang-utan is the fact that you don't lose your good looks as you get older

Robster

« Reply #11 on: November 05, 2013, 12:25 »
There must be a record for how long they can be kept going maybe I'll go for that.  I agree they never seem to stop and even when they look a bit ropey they still seem to struggle out with a chillie or two.

Potty Plotty Lotty

• https://thelazyallotmenteer.wordpress.com/
« Reply #12 on: November 05, 2013, 13:17 »
Slightly off your topic but you may be interested.  I have kept chillies in pots for a little while and with careful pruning and feeding and general care they seem to last and crop over several years.  They go out in the late spring into the greenhouse and come in before it gets too cold.  I am going to bring them in this week I think as the leaves are starting to yellow.  I still grow some as an annual for most chillies.  I am now going into my third year.

Robster-I'm very keen to try and overwinter by peppers and am interested in when and how you prune and at approximately what temperature you keep them through the winter. I'm guessing you start feeding them in spring or do you feed them through the winter?

(Sorry if this is going slightly off-topic)

JayG

• Global Moderator
« Reply #13 on: November 05, 2013, 13:36 »
I agree they never seem to stop and even when they look a bit ropey they still seem to struggle out with a chillie or two.

As soon as I pick one flush of fruit they start flowering again, as indeed they are right now (and yes, "ropey looking" sums it up nicely!)  :)

Robster

« Reply #14 on: November 05, 2013, 15:30 »
PPL,
There is nothing to it really, although I do not know if I am doing it right but...
I repot in the spring and feed in the summer quite well with growmore granules.  In the late autumn winter they come in.  I harvest all the chillies and prune back to a leaf node and regrowth starts from here.  Indoors they live on a south facing window seat in a largely unheated room.  Where they limp along still flowering and doing their best.

Flushed with enthusiasm I just went out and pruned etc to bring them in.  If I've made the link correctly you can see it here.  I've messed it up a bit there is a before and after photo of two chillies 1&4 are a pair as are 2&3.  Ive never done sweet peppers only chillies

https://www.dropbox.com/home/Chillies

xx
chillies and peppers

Started by TINTIN on Grow Your Own

3 Replies
Last post July 11, 2009, 12:43
by Oliver
xx
Chillies and Peppers

Started by stompy on Grow Your Own

14 Replies
Last post March 03, 2011, 10:42
by Growster...
xx
Peppers and chillies

Started by peapod on Grow Your Own

8 Replies
Last post August 16, 2008, 10:17
by peapod
xx
Peppers and chillies

Started by viettaclark on Grow Your Own

5 Replies
Last post September 30, 2010, 12:58
by kermit

Page created in 0.684 seconds with 38 queries.