chicken pecking

• 21 Replies

jackieand glenn

chicken pecking
« on: November 28, 2010, 16:52 »
hi, we have 4 chickens that have been housed together for 2 months with no trouble. Friday the smaller chicken was pecked very badly on both sides, we have now treated her and shes living in another area. today the other white chicken has been pected.
any ideas please, we are very concerned to why its started, also whats the best way round this as we have limited runs and running out of spare to house them .
we also would like help on how long to keep them apart. help help help please. jackie

orchardlady

Re: chicken pecking
« Reply #1 on: November 28, 2010, 18:50 »
You may find that your hens are suffering from boredom. Make their environment as interesting as possible and give them something to do. Put branches and hanging CD's in the run, maybe an upturned bucket or big log to perch and jump off. How about interesting food like plenty of greens or I've posted today a recipe for a pecking block. look for the post of Baking for chickens. Try to make areas that the less dominant hens can hide in.

jackieand glenn

« Reply #2 on: November 28, 2010, 21:56 »
thank you for the ideas, will try out tomorrow, ive mixed a load of exciting food bits ready and going to add a few logs etc in run, also off to get a cabbage to hang. i think it may be a bordom thing so fingers crossed. i will try to put the 2 back in next weekend all being well. thank you again, wonderful helpful site.

Junie

« Reply #3 on: November 28, 2010, 22:02 »
I had probel swith them having a go at one chicken, I put up greens they were ignored completely  :mad:
I watched then for a while and then put beak clips on the one's that pecked.  they can still peck but cannot grab hold of feathers so cannot really do as much damage.  apparently if you leave them on for a couple of weeks, then take them off, they forget about the pecking.  It is highly amusing watching them trying to get them off for about 10 minutes, then they completely ignore them, until one of the other chooks comes for a bit of a taste!

jackieand glenn

« Reply #4 on: November 29, 2010, 17:21 »
ill get some peak clips and see, thank you. ive ordered some foul tasking spray someone told me works, these chickens costing me !!!! and only seen 6 eggs,  this is their last chance. poor chickens so badly pecked and scared, they can be so nasty.

Junie

« Reply #5 on: November 29, 2010, 19:13 »
They can be nasty, especially if one is weak.  Like all birds I think.  We had lovebirds years ago and they would sit all lovey dovey one minuite and pecking each other the next!!  Our tail less bird whom i was trying to protect with the beak clips had a tail growing back beautifull, I am sure more than two were having a go at her, but I think the beak clips served as a warning to the others!  Quite clever really..

greendog

« Reply #6 on: November 30, 2010, 13:55 »
many years ago i had a pecking problem with one of my free range birds and i learned a fantastic  cure!  i put some vic on the pecked area and the effect on the bullies was amazing. it literally stopped them in their tracks and they never did it again if i hadn't seen it for myself i never would have believed ir could be so effective. hope this helps

jackieand glenn

« Reply #7 on: November 30, 2010, 17:24 »
thank you for all the ideas, i wish i had read this about the vic last night as would have been cheaper. a friend sent me a link on ebay for anti pecting spray, she bought some and works well, also a rat had been biting the wood on her greenhouse, she sprayed it all and rat never tried again!!, its stinks and tastes horride so does the trick. ive bought some with postage £7 for a spray bottle. ill spray them all the weekend and report on here for anyone whos interested. its freezing here in suffolk but chickens still laying and dont seem bothered by the cold. cheers everyone for the help xx

jinty1911

« Reply #8 on: November 30, 2010, 17:36 »
Vick sounds a good idea but I would be worried about it getting in their eyes.  It stings like hell (I know).  ;)
Jinty

jackieand glenn

« Reply #9 on: December 08, 2010, 09:42 »
hi all. still no let up with the chicken pecking. i put her in with the others for a short time over the weekend while i was here. they set about her again. shes now back in the greenhouse until the weekend when we can make a new run for her. i can say the anti pecking spray did not work!!!. they cant be bored as their run looks more like a playschool and veggie shop!!!! she is very small so guessing its the pecking order, we are going to keep her in a run next too the others for a few weeks then see again. someone said its to do with the ones that have come into lay , they were all purchase same time and at point of lay, 3 out of the 4 are now laying. what do you guys think?. thanks me dears xx :D

cejx

• Experienced Member
« Reply #10 on: December 08, 2010, 18:08 »
hi all. still no let up with the chicken pecking. i put her in with the others for a short time over the weekend while i was here. they set about her again. shes now back in the greenhouse until the weekend when we can make a new run for her. i can say the anti pecking spray did not work!!!. they cant be bored as their run looks more like a playschool and veggie shop!!!! she is very small so guessing its the pecking order, we are going to keep her in a run next too the others for a few weeks then see again. someone said its to do with the ones that have come into lay , they were all purchase same time and at point of lay, 3 out of the 4 are now laying. what do you guys think?. thanks me dears xx :D

Hi, I've got the same problem - and my coop too looks like a greengrocers/toys R us!  My thread was chicken being attacked - and I've been give some good advice here - I can email you with a more lengthy reply I received from the Bat Hen Welfare Trust. Claire xx
**ginger•henna•margo•matilda•hattie••5 ex-bats & betty the rescued bluebelle**

Junie

« Reply #11 on: December 08, 2010, 20:13 »
I took one beak clip off yesterday and no problems at all - not nice to get off though, there is still one with one on I will try to cut that one off to see if it is easier! - Will report back.

jackieand glenn

« Reply #12 on: December 18, 2010, 16:25 »
hi all, yes please claire would like as much info as you got. now the nasty one has pecked another chicken, blood again!!!. ive tried everything other then the beak clips which i am going to get this next week if my local pet store sells. ive got chickens pended off everywhere and is just not practial. they are all laying so dont want to get rid of them if i dont need to, but i have to say im getting very sick of it all now poor things. i may have to get rid of the nasty one, if anyone wishes to have her your more then welcome, she would be fine if roaming free i think. take care everyone in this bad weather. jackie xx

joyfull

• Monarch Engineering Ltd
« Reply #13 on: December 18, 2010, 16:50 »
until you get the beak clips (and not many shops sell them) I would just seperate the bully. Keep her seperate for several days (even a week) then hopefully she will lose her status. Sadly some chickens are just plain evil and don't learn.
Staffies are softer than you think.

henamoured

• Experienced Member
« Reply #14 on: December 18, 2010, 17:09 »
The Domestic Fowl TRust sell anti-pecking beak bits. I sent them a £1 coin and stamped addressed envelope and they sent me 6 back with instructions to fit.
Do feel for you - been thro this with my welsummer  in the spring who was viscous.
The beak bits look a bit brutal but don't be put off - the chx got used to used to it in a couple of days and could eat and drink etc. She still tried to bully for weeks and the other birds were scared off by her but she could do no real damage.
The beak bit fell off itself after about 6 weeks which was long enough to change her nasty bullying habits so I do think they work.

xx
Chicken pecking eggs?

Started by Craigx on The Hen House

1 Replies
Last post January 28, 2013, 10:17
by grinling
xx
New to chicken keeping - pecking Q

Started by DawnS on The Hen House

12 Replies
Last post June 05, 2010, 10:24
by joyfull
question
Pecking Chicken - should she stay or should she go?

Started by Bev on The Hen House

3 Replies
Last post November 18, 2013, 10:08
by ehs284
xx
Chicken pecking baby chicks

Started by Liamsbab on The Hen House

6 Replies
Last post July 12, 2007, 10:21
by Liamsbab

Page created in 0.277 seconds with 29 queries.