New to chicken keeping - pecking Q

• 12 Replies

DawnS

New to chicken keeping - pecking Q
« on: May 31, 2010, 19:53 »
Hello, we have had our 3 chickens for about a fortnight now. They are about 22 weeks, and are all now just about laying.

We were warned by some chicken-keeping friends that we could expect some pretty nasty behaviour whilst they sorted out their pecking order, but we havent seen any evidence of this up to now. However, over the last few days, out light sussex has taken to pecking our blue maran all the time, mainly on her back and sides.

She seems to be quite persistant about it, and although not particularly vicious about it, she just wont leave her alone. But the maran doesnt seem too bothered and actually follows the sussex about.

So, I am a bit confused and slightly concerned that the sussex is going to turn into some crazed killer (I really shouldnt google!)

Incidently, I am not even sure it's the sussex that is at the top of the pecking order - I think that may be the lohman brown we have, as she is always first out of the hut, first to feed/drink etc (or that may just because she is soppy and greedy!)

Oh it's all so confusing for a newbie! But how long do I let the pecking go on for before I intervene in some way? I dont want the maran to end up getting hurt and her feathers are starting to look tatty at the ends. Is this all normal chicken behaviour?

joyfull

• Monarch Engineering Ltd
Re: New to chicken keeping - pecking Q
« Reply #1 on: May 31, 2010, 22:13 »
is she pulling out the feathers of the other birds? Or drawing blood? Is she eating the feathers? or does it look more like a grooming type of thing? One of my rescue hens grooms the facial feathers of one of my other hens - no pulling or plucking just cleaning  :lol:
Staffies are softer than you think.

DawnS

« Reply #2 on: June 01, 2010, 08:23 »
No, she doesnt appear to be pulling feathers out yet, and she's not drawn blood, but she has given a few pretty hard pulls that we have seen. But generally, it's just a relentless pecking.

We did wonder whether she was just pecking bugs off her to start with, but there was no sign of anything on her (although I will de-flea her just in case).

Casey76

« Reply #3 on: June 01, 2010, 08:41 »
Give your girls plenty of space and places to hide and they'll be OK.

My girls re-establish their pecking order everytime I put a treat down, and it can look pretty vicious - but they tend not follow another or back them into a corner, just give them a really hard peck - usually on the head if the subordinate hen goes for a grain of what that the dominant hen thinks she should have.

My ISA girls are at the top, and poor Ginger is at the bottom and until recently Ginger hasn't been able to assert any dominance at all.  Now they are mixiing with the growers, Ginger takes every chance to peck at the younger ones, because she isn't the bottom of the order any more

Craig69

• Experienced Member
  • Kinder - Cadbury & Little One ~ Newton Abbot
    • Jellyfish Window Cleaning
« Reply #4 on: June 04, 2010, 16:42 »
I noticed in the last day or so one of my girls pulling out feathers of the other two & eating them.

I have looked at them all & can't see any bugs etc on them.
I cleaned the house out this morning & bought some Anti- Feather Pecking spray by Total Poultry Solutions from MVF.

I gave them all a spray about 1/2 hour ago so i will just have to wait & see if it works.

Anyone else used this spray?

sneezer

• Experienced Member
« Reply #5 on: June 04, 2010, 16:52 »
Hi there that is the pecking spray which I use it smells pretty bad especially as I tend to get most of it on me :wacko:, I'm pretty new to keeping chickens and watching them sort the pecking order out wasn't nice to watch! But I had loads of great advice from here, my worst chicken is actually second in command!! good luck with your girls!

DawnS

« Reply #6 on: June 04, 2010, 20:22 »
I noticed in the last day or so one of my girls pulling out feathers of the other two & eating them.

I have looked at them all & can't see any bugs etc on them.
I cleaned the house out this morning & bought some Anti- Feather Pecking spray by Total Poultry Solutions from MVF.

I gave them all a spray about 1/2 hour ago so i will just have to wait & see if it works.

Anyone else used this spray?

I havent tried the spray yet - I thought about it though. I did go to MVF to get some louse powder as I havent done them since I got them (Havent seen any evidence of lice, but I did wonder if that was what was causing the pecking) - but typically, they were out of stock and it's a bit of a trek to go back.

Anyway, I looked at the anti-peck spray, but thought I'd leave it until after I have de-loused them to see if that made a difference, but actually, over the past day of two, the sussex seems to be leaving the maran alone now. Maybe she was just showing her who's boss after all!

Craig69

• Experienced Member
« Reply #7 on: June 05, 2010, 08:51 »
Well after 1 spray i didn't see or hear anymore feather pecking exept after i sprayed them.
Perhaps this stuff works :D

Tazzy

• Experienced Member
« Reply #8 on: June 05, 2010, 09:36 »
Whenever we've added new birds, it's been 3 or 4 at a time and all coming from the same place so they were used to each other - then kept them separate from the others for a couple of days and they got on fine. When adding them to the older stock, we popped them in at night when they are much calmer. There was some pecking between old and new, but that all settled down quickly. The newer ones tended to stick together and didn't peck each other at all

Craig69

• Experienced Member
« Reply #9 on: June 05, 2010, 10:02 »
These have been together from egg i was told.
I have had them for about 2 1/2 months now. Their about 34 weeks old.
It was only recent this started & no new additions.
Like i said spray seems to have worked for now.
I'll have to go sit & have a chat to them to find out what the problem is  :D

joyfull

« Reply #10 on: June 05, 2010, 10:07 »
just keep an eye on them sometimes feather plucking and eating is caused by a deficiency in their diet, sometimes it's pure nastiness, sometimes boredom - so make sure they have enough room and plenty to occupy themselves and other times there is no reason whatsoever  ::)  :lol:

Craig69

• Experienced Member
« Reply #11 on: June 05, 2010, 10:22 »
Feed wise they are on layers mash which i put a small amount of corn to.
Sometimes drop corn down for them to scratch & peck at.
Have given them a chair to sit on yesterday  :D which Little One started to sit on & watch the others if she was feeling like she wated time out  ::)
The one doing the pecking has always been the one so perhaps she was just letting the others know she is still top hen ::)

joyfull

« Reply #12 on: June 05, 2010, 10:24 »
more than likely  :)

xx
chicken pecking

Started by jackieand glenn on The Hen House

21 Replies
Last post January 02, 2011, 15:46
by jackieand glenn
xx
Chicken pecking eggs?

Started by Craigx on The Hen House

1 Replies
Last post January 28, 2013, 10:17
by grinling
question
Pecking Chicken - should she stay or should she go?

Started by Bev on The Hen House

3 Replies
Last post November 18, 2013, 10:08
by ehs284
xx
Chicken pecking baby chicks

Started by Liamsbab on The Hen House

6 Replies
Last post July 12, 2007, 10:21
by Liamsbab

Page created in 0.309 seconds with 30 queries.