Parsnip roots - lots of them

• 14 Replies

ian.kime

Parsnip roots - lots of them
« on: October 02, 2010, 21:20 »
early lifted parsnip - can't resist on cold evenings - lots of thin and spindly roots per plant and virtually no normal growth - only a bit at the top - any ideas anyone? - no stones, well dug but very very dry in the spring in Cambridge.

Yorkie

• Global Moderator
Re: Parsnip roots - lots of them
« Reply #1 on: October 02, 2010, 21:29 »
Welcome to the site  :D

When did you sow the seed?

Did you sow it in clumps or individually spaced out?

Have you grown them successfully before?  If so, what have you done / what has been different this year?

The weather / watering may well be the answer but it always helps to eliminate other possibilities first.
I try to take one day at a time, but sometimes several days all attack me at once...

veggieman

« Reply #2 on: October 02, 2010, 22:04 »
This problem may have occured because the parsnips were growing in newly-manured soil. They don't like this.

I have had this myself and it really is so very frustrating. The parsnips are a real pain to germinate and then, if you are so lucky, they stay in the ground for many months before being pulled up. They can look so good at surface level but there is very little other than roots below. They do make nice soup if not good enough for the plate, though.
If I can grow things in Shetland, then you can certainly grow things where you are!

ian.kime

« Reply #3 on: October 02, 2010, 23:27 »
seed sown 11 April - fresh bed in the rotation - no muck applied - just dug and prepared - bed had squash/muck in it last year - seed watered till germination and for a couple of weeks after - no piped water to the allotment - and it was a very dry spring here - water scarce

previous years - very good crop - a mainstay of our winters

veggieman

« Reply #4 on: October 03, 2010, 09:10 »
Well, my ideas have been ruled out already. Stoney soil and/or too fresh manure were my prime suspects.
I will watch this thread as "forked" parsnips is a problem that I would love to avoid as well. Google "forking" parsnips and see what you can find.

JayG

• Global Moderator
« Reply #5 on: October 03, 2010, 09:56 »
Parsnips like deep, light soil because they have long roots, and fresh manure does encourage forking of the roots, but that doesn't mean they appreciate being starved to death!

My parsnips improved hugely after I realised they were not fulfilling their potential due to lack of food in my sandy soil. An occasional sprinkle with Growmore does the trick for me (don't use anything too high in nitrogen which will encourage too much leaf growth.)
Sow your seeds, plant your plants. What's the difference? A couple of weeks or more when answering possible queries!

One of the best things about being an orang-utan is the fact that you don't lose your good looks as you get older

RichardA

« Reply #6 on: October 03, 2010, 10:07 »
Oddly and quite coincidentally I have discovered how to make one row of parsnips grow better than the other five rows in my plot. We have ducks, ducks make a mess that gets swilled off the path between their run and sleeping quarters every time they are cleaned out. That produced an initial problem as spilt grain grew and had to be hand weeded out but as parsnip leaves grew and covered the area that ceased and the regular flush of mucky water started to bring out the best in the parsnips - big, long and the odd one already taken have been very sweet. Certainly head and shoulders above the next rows in. Can you get any very dilute duck muck -- seriously though --- it seems to reinforce the too dry is bad and feeding a little is good arguements
R

aelf

• idndtdodaftl
« Reply #7 on: October 04, 2010, 14:16 »
I put a sprinkling of chicken pellets over the ground in Jan this year and have (a couple of times) watered with dilute comfrey feed. I haven't dug any snips up yet but they look good n healthy in the rows  :)
There's more comfrey here than you can shake a stick at!

http://www.wedigforvictory.co.uk/dig_icon.gif[/img]

Cheshire Phill

• Experienced Member
« Reply #8 on: October 04, 2010, 19:10 »
Also have just lifted some parsnips (early, but on orders from'er indoors!) and lots of mine have forked. we have pretty heavy soil, so that might be the reason...however, one from another, "special" row, was brilliant, about 18" long, and 6" or so across!!

The difference? The special row had "crowbar" holes, filled with light, sandy, compost mixture, and I think the parsnip exactly corresponds to the actual hole size I made when planting this row.

Was hard work at the time, but light, sandy soil seems to be the key for me then...

Phill  :)

TheSpartacat

« Reply #9 on: October 06, 2010, 12:30 »
Hi, sorry to hear your parsnips are looking spindly!  :(
Can I ask what you are growing next to them- as that might be having an effect?
You can't grow parsnips and carrots next to each other, for example as they stunt each others growth.

I've spent the summer reading about Allelopathy,  ??? which forms a basis for much of the ideas behind companion planting, where certain plants put out chemicals in the soil that prevents competing plants from flourishing, or sometimes even germinating, Black Walnut is famous for it, and pine trees also notorious.  :blink:
On a more minor scale- plants like fennel can devastate the growth of many veggies. (From all accounts, it seems to be incompatible with most plants!!)  :ohmy:

But there are some plants that benefit from growing next to each other too.

Companion planting is one of those things- the more you know- the more complicated and confusing it gets to put together a rotation plan   :wacko:
I'm opting to only take heed of the ones that are a complete no no... keeping the carrots and parsnip away from each other, and the onions and legumes away from each other...   8) .. and not growing fennel!!!!

DD.

• Global Moderator
  • Location: Loughborough. a/k/a Digger Dave. Prettiest Pumpkin prizewinner 2011
  • Pea God & Founder Member of The NFGG
« Reply #10 on: October 06, 2010, 12:34 »
I'm opting to only take heed of the ones that are a complete no no... keeping the carrots and parsnip away from each other

You'd better re-write the books then, as I grow both together in order to grow them under one bit of Enviromesh and my parsnips are quite famous on this forum!
Did it really tell you to do THAT on the packet?

TheSpartacat

« Reply #11 on: October 06, 2010, 12:39 »
I'm opting to only take heed of the ones that are a complete no no... keeping the carrots and parsnip away from each other

You'd better re-write the books then, as I grow both together in order to grow them under one bit of Enviromesh and my parsnips are quite famous on this forum!
Wow... now I'm super confused... I've seen your parnsips!  :closedeyes:  :ohmy:
The 'keeping carrots and parsnips away from each other' was the one that all the sites and books all completely agreed on!
Well, now I'm just feeling grumpy... coz I'm gonna have to rethink my rotation plan for next year again!!
 :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

*Sets fire to books as they're more valuable as potash, apparently*
« Last Edit: October 06, 2010, 12:42 by TheSpartacat »

Aunt Sally

• Administrator
  • Everyone's Aunty
« Reply #12 on: October 06, 2010, 12:46 »
I grow mine together too - If I can keep the carrot fly and the mice away the harvest is good.

Aidy

• Location: Born n bred Lancastrian living in tropical Blackpool
    • Aidy Neal Photography
« Reply #13 on: October 06, 2010, 14:12 »
Apart from hot tropical weather  8) we are blessed with good fine carrot and snip growing sand, nowt else grows in it tho  ::).
I have to admit that I am clueless as to why your snips are missbehaving, the only logical reasoning I can now think of, is there something in the soil from the past that is still hanging around.
Have they been grown in that bed before without any problems?
Punk isn't dead...it's underground where it belongs. If it comes to the surface it's no longer punk...it's Green Day!

Trillium

« Reply #14 on: October 06, 2010, 14:58 »
Contrary to what the books all say, I manure my parsnip and carrot plot the fall before, and I get whopper parsnips every year, not at all hairy, and only a few are forked because I have a lot of large stones in my soil which the frost so thoughtfully drags up every year. Same with the carrots - lovely, sweet and hairless.

If you starve your crops you can't expect a decent yield. Same with water - they do need some regularly if the rains aren't there, but not on a regular basis as in weekend watering, just when the soil seems rather dry when you've poked your finger into the soil and it's dry.

xx
Lots of leaves but small roots

Started by Goosegirl on Grow Your Own

7 Replies
Last post July 01, 2008, 13:38
by Goosegirl
xx
Lots of leaves but small roots

Started by Pippa on Grow Your Own

3 Replies
Last post October 01, 2008, 23:31
by lincspoacher
xx
Parsnip roots

Started by plopleuk on Grow Your Own

1 Replies
Last post May 20, 2011, 20:47
by LilacSandy
xx
Parsnip roots

Started by shokkyy on Grow Your Own

23 Replies
Last post April 21, 2012, 22:30
by galen

Page created in 0.447 seconds with 38 queries.