Parsnip roots

• 23 Replies

shokkyy

• Mishka
Parsnip roots
« on: April 20, 2012, 19:06 »
I've got my parsnips growing in loo rolls, and predictably a few of them are showing more root than I'd like at the bottom before I can get them planted out. Has anybody ever tried trimming off those bits of root before planting? I mean, does the forking happen because the roots don't like to be touched at all, or does it happen because there's a long skinny bit sticking out that is now going to be crumpled up when I plant it out?

Yorkie

• Global Moderator
Re: Parsnip roots
« Reply #1 on: April 20, 2012, 19:09 »
I don't know for sure, but my initial thoughts are that the cells which grow are in the bottom tip, and you might find yourself in difficulties if you chop it off.

But you could try an experiment if you want ...  ;)
I try to take one day at a time, but sometimes several days all attack me at once...

DD.

• Global Moderator
  • Location: Loughborough. a/k/a Digger Dave. Prettiest Pumpkin prizewinner 2011
  • Pea God & Founder Member of The NFGG
« Reply #2 on: April 20, 2012, 19:23 »
I'd run with the theory of goodbye growing tip  - hello stumpy parsnip!
Did it really tell you to do THAT on the packet?

fatcat1955

« Reply #3 on: April 20, 2012, 19:25 »
Have a go at filling a pot with compost and standing the loo roll on it, it might buy you a couple of day's grace.

shokkyy

• Mishka
« Reply #4 on: April 20, 2012, 19:34 »
Well I was going to plant them out tomorrow anyway, but the idea of trimming just hit me when I was looking at one tiny seedling that has only just started to show a third leaf but has about 6 inches of root sticking out the bottom of the 4 inch loo roll. I've tried googling it, and so far I've come up with forking is caused by clay, stones, manure or any high nitrogen fertiliser, over watering and transplanting. Basically, you just have to look at a parsnip the wrong way and it forks. I suspect this particular seedling doesn't have much chance of growing a straight root at this point anyway, so maybe I'll try trimming it just as an experiment and see what happens. I'll probably get a parsnip the size of a loo roll, but now I've thought of it I've got to find out :)

mumofstig

• Global Moderator
« Reply #5 on: April 20, 2012, 19:46 »
Well I was going to plant them out tomorrow anyway, but the idea of trimming just hit me when I was looking at one tiny seedling that has only just started to show a third leaf but has about 6 inches of root sticking out the bottom of the 4 inch loo roll.

:nowink:  :nowink: I dunno - how many times do I post to say that you have to plant them as soon as they've got their 2 seed leaves :(
does no-one listen  :( *sob sob*

I only know because I did the same as you and got forked ones.....never did it again, though  :D
« Last Edit: April 20, 2012, 19:47 by mumofstig »

shokkyy

• Mishka
« Reply #6 on: April 20, 2012, 20:01 »
Sadly, I don't have time to plant them out during the week as I have to work. So if they put on a growth spurt between weekends there's not much I can do about it other than get them in the following weekend.

bazh

• Experienced Member
« Reply #7 on: April 20, 2012, 20:10 »
shokkyy you should have got them planted as soon as they showed signs of germinating, a lot of the old boys on my site use the loo roll method and all say as soon as they break the surface get them in or you end up with stump roots, but there all retired so can check them every day.  I don't know why they do it as our site has the perfect soil for root veg.

If the tap root is showing out the bottom of the loo roll expect the worse if you plant them and get some more sown just in case.
Faff free zone!

galen

• Experienced Member
« Reply #8 on: April 20, 2012, 20:42 »
I've got away with the taproot showing when using loo rolls although it wasn't intentional. I also use a metal rod to make a foot deep "cone" filled with compost before planting them out so that may have helped.
Paul, Andrew, Kevin, Galen - My parents got bored of normal names in the end!

bazh

• Experienced Member
« Reply #9 on: April 20, 2012, 21:00 »
I've got away with the taproot showing when using loo rolls although it wasn't intentional. I also use a metal rod to make a foot deep "cone" filled with compost before planting them out so that may have helped.

Far to much faff for me vegetables are for eating not comparing who's got the biggest.

Schubunny

• Experienced Member
« Reply #10 on: April 20, 2012, 21:03 »

Far to much faff for me vegetables are for eating not comparing who's got the biggest.

It doesn't take that long and hopefully will stop my Mum moaning that she's got to peel the fiddly bits  :lol:

galen

• Experienced Member
« Reply #11 on: April 20, 2012, 21:30 »

Totally agree, I've only got limited space so try to ensure everything "works", was just trying to help out shokkyy with his original post and the tap root problem  :)

DD.

• Global Moderator
« Reply #12 on: April 20, 2012, 21:32 »

galen

• Experienced Member
« Reply #13 on: April 20, 2012, 21:41 »

DD.

• Global Moderator
« Reply #14 on: April 20, 2012, 21:42 »
 :lol:

xx
Parsnip roots

Started by plopleuk on Grow Your Own

1 Replies
Last post May 20, 2011, 20:47
by LilacSandy
xx
Parsnip roots - lots of them

Started by ian.kime on Grow Your Own

14 Replies
Last post October 06, 2010, 14:58
by Trillium
clip
Roots roots roots - reviving my plot

Started by BuddingGrower on Grow Your Own

26 Replies
Last post November 24, 2013, 22:57
by compostqueen
xx
Parsnip seedlings/parsnip plants ?

Started by alan/gill on Grow Your Own

7 Replies
Last post April 25, 2019, 11:44
by theothermarg

Page created in 0.95 seconds with 38 queries.