Straight lines

• 57 Replies

mumofstig

• Global Moderator
Re: Straight lines
« Reply #30 on: September 10, 2010, 22:21 »
don't you start swearing at me zazen :lol:

They would be even harder to plan than straight lines or blocks  :tongue2:
fancy rotating hexagons? it sounds painful  ;)

GrannieAnnie

• Grandmother of the Forums
« Reply #31 on: September 10, 2010, 22:29 »
I've got a string line and I marked 3", 4" and 6" on my long handled hoes, but I still can't get my lines straight, its the ground, it moves as I pull my hoe towards me to make a seed drill!!

Nige2Plots

« Reply #32 on: September 10, 2010, 22:48 »
I love straight lines. Nice and crisp and neat. You cannot beat nice straight lines of Vegetables and plot edges. I must confess I did relay the Greenhouse base as it was not square to the rest of the plot :ohmy:

Man after my own heart - but how do you do it - or are you just super clever?
I'm not clever Rainbow1. I just like things to look pleasing to the eye and neat and tidy. straight lines help aesthetically. I mainly do things by eye but I also use a line ;)

Nige2Plots

« Reply #33 on: September 10, 2010, 22:52 »
I love straight lines. Nice and crisp and neat. You cannot beat nice straight lines of Vegetables and plot edges. I must confess I did relay the Greenhouse base as it was not square to the rest of the plot :ohmy:

nige if you have the energy and patience to relay your greenhouse base will you come and help with mine, I don't even care if it is square as long as it is up
It will be a pleasure just PM me ;) and we will work out the Milage allowance :ohmy:

Nige2Plots

« Reply #34 on: September 10, 2010, 22:54 »

Me to perhaps I'm even slightly OCD about straight and square.  A good friend who designs gardens for other people was staggered by my patch both at home and on the lotty not a curve or flowing line or signature plant, shrub or tree in sight. Uniformity would be a good phrase all my beds are rectangles or squares, my lawns are the same in fact there is only one bit of my land either at home or on the lotty that isn't either a rectangle or a square and it's a blooming triangle. The railway sleeper triangle was there when I moved into the house and it's to heavy for me and my dicky ticker to move. I blame this squarely (obviously) on starting my engineering apprenticeship way back in 1973. Spontaneity is wonderful if it's properly organised. I do so envy those who can just go with the flow.
I'm like that at home too 8) 8)

Swing Swang

« Reply #35 on: September 10, 2010, 23:07 »
No problems with straight lines - I've a pile of old gravel boards that were rescued from some blown down fencing - they make perfect straight edges, temporary paths, and allow lines to be exactly 6" apart too. For more permanent straight lines I've about 30 45cmx45cm flags that can be moved around the plot and used as precise 'chequerboard stepping stones' and paths. String lines/bamboo canes/'dribbles' of sand on the ground etc also used to great effect.

GrannieAnnie

• Grandmother of the Forums
« Reply #36 on: September 10, 2010, 23:20 »
Show off!!    :lol: :lol: :lol:

New shoot

• Global Moderator
« Reply #37 on: September 11, 2010, 08:24 »
don't you start swearing at me zazen :lol:

They would be even harder to plan than straight lines or blocks  :tongue2:
fancy rotating hexagons? it sounds painful  ;)

That was my thought exactly when I read zazen's post   :lol:  Imagine the chaos we could cause trying to get neat hexagons across the plot MOS  :wacko:  :lol:

I did manage to get 2 blue waterpipe and netting tunnels up for overwintering brassica that were nearly perfick this week. 

My neighbouring plot holder on the big plot has had his land for 40 years and it looks like the soil came bagged from harrods etc etc.................he was digging his winter celery trench yesterday and even he said that's not bad................for you  :lol:  :lol:   :lol:

JayG

• Global Moderator
« Reply #38 on: September 11, 2010, 10:04 »
I used to use the paving slabs laid round my main plot as a guide to positioning the marker line pegs until I realised they had not been laid perfectly symmetrically!  :wacko:

These days I just judge it by eye, which is why I now just sagely and mysteriously mumble "the perspective effect" if anyone attempts a jolly jape as to how some rows "appear" to converge!  :lol:
Sow your seeds, plant your plants. What's the difference? A couple of weeks or more when answering possible queries!

One of the best things about being an orang-utan is the fact that you don't lose your good looks as you get older

boosh

« Reply #39 on: September 11, 2010, 10:05 »
I'm off to a bad start from the start !  :wacko:
The plot is wider at the bottom compared to the top and narrower on one side,  ???  plus i know that we have Goblins that come out at night and replant all your nice straight rows on the p**s,  :lol:  :lol:

New shoot

• Global Moderator
« Reply #40 on: September 11, 2010, 10:08 »
I never thought of blaming the goblins - genius  8)

Zippy

« Reply #41 on: September 11, 2010, 10:11 »
so long as the plants are in the correct bed rotation-wise, i don't plant or sow in straight lines as it helps the pests to find what they're looking for. We are gardeners not agri-farmers.

My beds look more like veggie-flower beds with bedding plants of beetroot, lambs lettuce etc and spot plants of taller swiss chard and climbing beans.  it does pose a challenge when harvesting actually seeing what's available but I feel I get a better harvest this way and its more interesting.

azubah

• www.Godsaves.co.uk
« Reply #42 on: September 11, 2010, 10:27 »

The plot is wider at the bottom compared to the top and narrower on one side,  ???  plus i know that we have Goblins that come out at night and replant all your nice straight rows  :lol:  :lol:

...and I was blaming the man on the next door plot

mumofstig

• Global Moderator
« Reply #43 on: September 11, 2010, 10:48 »
i don't plant or sow in straight lines as it helps the pests to find what they're looking for

errr..............somehow, I don't think that straight lines are any more help to pests than wonky ones ::) which is what we were laughing about ;)

Your mixed plantings may confuse pests, but I believe that this is due to the mix of plants you grow, rather than the shape of the planting ;)

arugula

• Winner - prettiest sunflower 2011
  • hic svnt leones
« Reply #44 on: September 11, 2010, 11:54 »
i don't plant or sow in straight lines as it helps the pests to find what they're looking for.

Veg. are planted in straight lines as weeds don't plant themsleves in straight lines so its easier to see and pull them to stop them competing. Flowers, however the mood takes me. :)
"They say a snow year's a good year" -- Rutherford.

xx
veg lines-another silly question!

Started by Flump on Grow Your Own

24 Replies
Last post April 09, 2010, 20:02
by azubah
xx
Small thin horizontal lines...

Started by Kleftiwallah on Grow Your Own

2 Replies
Last post August 04, 2022, 17:54
by Kleftiwallah
xx
pots or straight in

Started by the spiv on Grow Your Own

11 Replies
Last post May 17, 2014, 14:31
by the spiv
xx
straight carrots??

Started by gardener247 on Grow Your Own

6 Replies
Last post January 25, 2010, 21:24
by viettaclark

Page created in 1.472 seconds with 38 queries.