Straight lines

• 57 Replies

purplebean

Re: Straight lines
« Reply #15 on: September 10, 2010, 20:09 »
I love straight lines. Nice and crisp and neat. You cannot beat nice straight lines of Vegetables and plot edges. I must confess I did relay the Greenhouse base as it was not square to the rest of the plot :ohmy:

nige if you have the energy and patience to relay your greenhouse base will you come and help with mine, I don't even care if it is square as long as it is up

mumofstig

• Global Moderator
« Reply #16 on: September 10, 2010, 20:10 »
 :lol: crafty  8)

8doubles

« Reply #17 on: September 10, 2010, 20:13 »
I keep saying that I'm going to make a measuring stick like

this one

it'll be one of my winter jobs for sure ;)

I made a marking stick a few years ago, put a shallow saw cut on all the spacings so the line did not fade, a great help.
If you leave them out in the rain a few times they then go the shape of a dogs hind leg , no more straight lines. :D

azubah

• www.Godsaves.co.uk
« Reply #18 on: September 10, 2010, 20:18 »
I am a perfectionist and always do dead straight lines at rightangles to the path, with a stringline. The trouble is that my plot is on the side of a hill and one edge of the plot slides down the hill during the night. Some of the plants seem to move about as well. I am sure I never put them in that crooked. It might be the man on the next plot is jealous and moves them. i am not paranoid..hee hee.

plum crumble

« Reply #19 on: September 10, 2010, 20:25 »
I use string etc when planting, but do my crops ever look straight? Well, they are in lines, but for some reasons, the lines diverge! Perhaps my little Welsh legs aren't used to the flat ground  ::)
small, Welsh and almost certainly bonkers, but can be tamed with Talisker, if required

New shoot

• Global Moderator
« Reply #20 on: September 10, 2010, 20:27 »
You've got bendy string like me Plum  ;)  :lol:

My plot is on a hill so maybe my softie southern legs can't cope  :unsure:  :nowink:

plum crumble

« Reply #21 on: September 10, 2010, 20:28 »
 :lol: :lol: :lol:

solway cropper

« Reply #22 on: September 10, 2010, 20:57 »
Forget straight lines and just plant everything in blocks....or do the allotment police insist on straight lines.  ;)

New shoot

• Global Moderator
« Reply #23 on: September 10, 2010, 21:00 »
No - just get pitying looks from the old guard and the occasional - ' you call that a straight row do you'

I often do blocks rather than rows.....they're not that straight either  :lol:  :lol:  :lol:

plum crumble

« Reply #24 on: September 10, 2010, 21:08 »
Blocks? BLOCKS? ha ha , oh, those oval things I end up with!  :lol: ::)

8doubles

« Reply #25 on: September 10, 2010, 21:12 »
No - just get pitying looks from the old guard and the occasional - ' you call that a straight row do you'

I often do blocks rather than rows.....they're not that straight either  :lol:  :lol:  :lol:

Just tell the old guard that you are following magnetic contours in the substrate. Walk up and down a few times with a Y shaped divining stick before you do anything. ;)
Eccentricity is more acceptable than inaccuracy. :)

New shoot

• Global Moderator
« Reply #26 on: September 10, 2010, 21:23 »
They would not be at all surprised by that answer 8doubles.  I get away with a lot playing the madcap eccentric female  ;)  :lol:

stentman

• Experienced Member
« Reply #27 on: September 10, 2010, 21:23 »
I love straight lines. Nice and crisp and neat. You cannot beat nice straight lines of Vegetables and plot edges. I must confess I did relay the Greenhouse base as it was not square to the rest of the plot :ohmy:

Me to perhaps I'm even slightly OCD about straight and square.  A good friend who designs gardens for other people was staggered by my patch both at home and on the lotty not a curve or flowing line or signature plant, shrub or tree in sight. Uniformity would be a good phrase all my beds are rectangles or squares, my lawns are the same in fact there is only one bit of my land either at home or on the lotty that isn't either a rectangle or a square and it's a blooming triangle. The railway sleeper triangle was there when I moved into the house and it's to heavy for me and my dicky ticker to move. I blame this squarely (obviously) on starting my engineering apprenticeship way back in 1973. Spontaneity is wonderful if it's properly organised. I do so envy those who can just go with the flow.
Stents keeping things open 24/7

If one way be better than another, that you can be sure is natures way. Aristotle 384BC - 322BC

suziet88

• Experienced Member
« Reply #28 on: September 10, 2010, 21:42 »
I don't know what the problem is.  Everything looks fine after a few glasses of wine!

zazen999

« Reply #29 on: September 10, 2010, 22:18 »
One word;

Hexagons.

xx
veg lines-another silly question!

Started by Flump on Grow Your Own

24 Replies
Last post April 09, 2010, 20:02
by azubah
xx
Small thin horizontal lines...

Started by Kleftiwallah on Grow Your Own

2 Replies
Last post August 04, 2022, 17:54
by Kleftiwallah
xx
pots or straight in

Started by the spiv on Grow Your Own

11 Replies
Last post May 17, 2014, 14:31
by the spiv
xx
straight carrots??

Started by gardener247 on Grow Your Own

6 Replies
Last post January 25, 2010, 21:24
by viettaclark

Page created in 0.644 seconds with 38 queries.